The polar bear is in danger of going extinct — and it is our fault.
It’s all well and good that the Bush administration has admitted that climate change is real and threatening polar bears with extinction. But the President has not yet acknowledged that this dangerous warming is due to man-made greenhouse gas emissions. Until then, he can continue doing nothing — and that will mean a future of Hell and High Water.
We can only hope that this is a sign of things to come. If the President makes one New Year’s resolution, it should be to admit in his State of the Union address that we are the cause of the world’s warming AND that we need to regulate carbon dioxide emissions. Then we can get past mourning the polar bear, and start doing something to save it.
UPDATE: For a recent post on the “stunning” loss of Arctic sea ice, go here.
- Bye-polar Kempthorne: Polar bear IS endangered, but “Rule will allow continuation of vital energy production in Alaska”
- New U.S.-Canada MOU on polar bear conservation never mentions sea ice or climate change
- Bush launches Unendangered Species List, phones “Rename the Polar Bear” winner
- More Humor: George Bush, Climate Activist
- Polar Bears “Endangered” by Global Warming
- Must See TV: Ice Ice Maybe (not)
- A meter of sea level rise by 2100?
- Arctic ice loss is “stunning” — total loss possible by 2030, scientists warn
- Arctic sea ice update: 2008 poised to repeat — or beat — 2007
- Arctic Ice shrinks by an Alaska plus a Texas