The Naked Truth About Climate Change

By Climate Guest Contributor

"The Naked Truth About Climate Change"

News Flash (as it were):

Hundreds of people posed naked on Switzerland’s shrinking Aletsch glacier today for US photographer Spencer Tunick as part of a Greenpeace campaign to raise awareness of global warming.

barenakes.jpg

Now that is all the nudes that’s fit to print.

On a more serious note: “Switzerland has about 1800 glaciers and almost all of them are losing ground.” Everyone needs to do their part to raise awareness, even if it is a visibly small part.

‹ Introducing Bill Becker

Climate Progress and John Stossel meet again ›

15 Responses to The Naked Truth About Climate Change

1. Ron says:

The Aletsch glacier has been (mostly) retreating since about 1860 (when it was at it’s longest).

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence, but wasn’t that about the end of the Little Ice Age? I’m sure you climatologists will set me straight if I have my facts confused.

2. Connie Doak says:

Please add my name to the news feed from this site. Thanks

3. Joe says:

Ron — you never have your facts confused, you just omit some key facts.

As the article says: “Alpine glaciers have lost about one-third of their length and half their volume over the past 150 years. The Aletsch ice mass has retreated by 115 metres in the last two years alone.”

BTW, glaciers retreat in part because of warming, and in part because of industrial particulate pollution that decreases their albedo (reflectivity) slightly, causing them to absorb more sunlight and melt faster. So the fact that the glacier has been retreating since 1860 in no way undermines the theory of anthropogenic global warming — quite the reverse.

4. Ron says:

So it is just a coincidence that it’s been retreating since the Little Ice Age?

5. Ron says:

So it is just a coincidence then? Not more propaganda?

6. Joe says:

1) The retreat has clearly accelerated since 1980

2) You apparently did not read the last paragraph of my previous comment. Glaciers melt because of either global warming or industrial particulate pollution or both. So slow retreat since 1860 and faster retreat since 1980 is is quite consistent with global warming and pollution trends.

7. Joe says:

No. Ron, please, read my comments.

8. Howie says:

You gave just the two reasons for glacial melting ……

9. Joe says:

Yes, GHGs and industrial pollution. Lots of industrial pollution in the mid-19th century. Lots of GHGs now.

10. Ron says:

Hmmm, maybe the Little Ice Age ended because of manmade global warming. I had not considered that. Might be something to try next time we’re in the middle of a deep freeze.

11. Joe says:

No. The Little Ice Age appears to have been driven by a reduction in sunspots — i.e. a change in forcing that changed back. Now we’re doing the forcing.

I’m also not certain why you keep willfully misreading my comments.

12. Paul K says:

According to this NASA report, black carbon soot continues to be a big factor in arctic warming.

13. Ron says:

Joe,

I’m not misreading your comments. I’m just not asking the questions or giving the answers you want or expect me to.

It’s similar to the technique I use on my kids when I know they are BSing me; keep them talking until they make a mistake.

You claimed above that there were only two reasons for glacial retreat; then when pushed, you added a third factor. Ironically, you mentioned sunspots which are usually hooted at by the hysterycs.

And nothing ‘changed back’. Sunspots, and other solar and orbital cycles are cyclical, as you well know. And the warming and cooling of the planet is cyclical, as well.

I just wanted you to make a little mention of that and you did. Thanks.

14. Joe says:

Ron, condescension does not become you. This is the last post of yours I will reply to. I didn’t think you were the kind of person who would treat adults like children. The comments are for people who have serious questions or serious points to make, not for those who are playing childish games.

I didn’t make any mistakes. I never offered a third reason for glacial retreat. There is industrial pollution and warming, which can be driven by GHGs or a big increase in solar activity, as occurs when the orbit/inclination change or (perhaps) when the famous Maunder minimum ended — a very anomalously low period of sunspots, which coincided with the Little Ice Age. I thought you knew all that.

For the last time, when Denyers say that the warming and cooling of the planet is cyclical, they are trying to imply that it is random. In fact, the planet only warms and cools significantly when it is forced to. In the past, changes in orbit/inclination or natural release of greenhouse gases forces the changes.

Be well.

15. Ron says:

Sorry, Joe. Cyclical and random are not the same things at all.

But you’re right, “changes in orbit/inclination” is one factor. As well as sunspots, as you said before. And some other related cycles. Complicated, poorly-studied cycles. But not just in the past. In the present, as well as the future. But not random by any means. Cyclical.

I know you would like to boil it all down to just carbon, but unfortunately the Earth just does not operate that way. And more than that, YOU KNOW it doesn’t.

My kids get insulted when I catch them too.