Record Flooding Slams Midwest

By Joe Romm

"Record Flooding Slams Midwest"

flooding-dog.jpg

But don’t worry, Denyers, it’s all just a grand coincidence that global warming theory predicts record rainstorms and flooding. The fact that the British and the Chinese link their record flooding to global warming should not stop us from burying our head in the sand mud. Still, the news from the Midwest is harsh:

Ferocious thunderstorms, heat and humidity added to the Midwest’s flooding misery Friday as thousands of people returned to damaged homes, many without electricity to run fans or pumps.

A sudden thunderstorm with 70 mph wind slammed into the Chicago area Thursday evening, tearing down huge trees and damaging buildings. In the suburbs, part of an industrial facility’s roof collapsed, injuring 40 people, and a tornado was reported as the storm moved into Michigan.

Early Friday, another band of thunderstorms was dumping more rain along a line from southern Iowa into Wisconsin.

Most of southern Iowa was under a flash flood watch through Friday evening as as much as 8 inches of rain fell, the National Weather Service said.

Apr┬Ęs nous le deluge.

‹ Warming Will Worsen Water Wars

Make your own wind and solar power systems ›

9 Responses to Record Flooding Slams Midwest

1. Ron says:

I do believe you may be right about the link between higher temps and flooding. Check this link out about another devastating flood during 1937 – according to NASA the hottest year of the past century

2. Joe says:

Factually incorrect. The warmest year for the continental U.S. has, for quite some time, been identified as 1934 by NASA.

3. Paul K says:

Of course global warming theory predicts floods and drought. So does the bunion on my left foot. There have been floods somewhere in the midwest in every one of my 58 years, many much greater than this year’s. Sudden destructive thunderstorms are the norm here in Chicago. Tornadoes hit my south side neighborhood in the sixties and seventies. The Des Plaines River reached “100 year flood” levels two years in a row in the early eighties. You present a wealth of science based convincing information about global warming. Ascribing every weather event to it diminishes your argument.

4. Joe says:

Actually this was a once-in-a-century flood in Ohio.
    “the city’s deepest floodwaters in nearly 100 years.”

I don’t ascribe every weather event to global warming, but I like to point out the increasing frequency of extreme weather — esp. droughts and flood — since that is prediction of AGW. The Chinese and British understand this. In about 10 years, everyone in the U.S. will, too.

5. john says:

Paul K.

While you’re right to say that a specific weather event cannot be ascribed to global warming, you’re wrong to deny the connection between the kind of extreme events we’re seeing and global warming. Quite simply, the extreme will become more common if we fail to act, act now, and act decisively.

So I’m not sure what the point is of picking nits about causality — particularly since I don’t see Joe or any leading scientsts saying “this event was caused by global warming.” What they are saying is global warming causes these kind of events.

When your house is getting washed down the Ohio by the third 100 year storm in a decade, this kind of subtle distinction, while factualy correct, is not too germane.

6. Ron says:

oooh oooh, you didn’t moderate that post. Maybe I can get this out there before you delete it like the last few…..

Didn’t you say something else before about what year was hottest? Have you known you were lying for ‘quite some time’?

7. Joe says:

Ron — I keep deleting your comments because you keep 1) repeating the same factual mistake that I have previously debunked and 2) then on the basis of that mistake, you keep accusing me of lying. I don’t moderate 99% of posts, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

For the last time, as I posted about 10 days ago, NASA revised the data for the continental UNITED STATES but it had a negligible effect on GLOBAL data, which is what all your links to my earlier statements refer to. As Hansen explained, NASA’s analysis has long indicated 1934 was (slightly) warmer than 1998 for CONUS, but 1998 is still, for now, the warmest year on record for the planet, and far, far warmer than the 1930s. Got it?

Now please apologize or stop posting hateful comments

8. Mark says:

Here we are in 2008,
    Last 2 years in a row 06 and 07 my area flooded in a 100yr flood plain, strange it happened twice in a row I’ve lived here 40yrs and haven’t seen it like this, people are gone where they once lived.
    Indiana is flooding now and today Wisconsin, dells flooded and 2 dams broke?

9. jasonc says: