Arctic Ice shrinks by an Alaska plus a Texas

"Arctic Ice shrinks by an Alaska plus a Texas"

Hitting a record low on September 16, 2007, the Arctic lost half a million square miles of ice compared to its last record low just two years ago.

arctic.gif

For all the details, check out the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) website, which notes “the Northwest Passage is still open, but is starting to refreeze. We are still on track for an ice free Arctic by 2030, decades ahead of the climate models.

UPDATE: I omitted the fact cited in the headline: Compared to its “long-term average minimum, based on averaging data from 1979 to 2000,” the Arctic has shrunk one million square miles, “an area approximately equal to the size of Alaska and Texas combined.” My apologies for the confusion.

15 Responses to Arctic Ice shrinks by an Alaska plus a Texas

1. jcwinnie says:

Shoo, boy, you ain’t seen no Texas sized sea ice melt yet. Wait until we get drilling more up there; get that Northwest passage cleared; permafrost melted…

Then you going to see what some Texans can do (hawk-splutt)!

2. Nick says:

Too bad “the science is still out” on Global Warming, right? Don’t you love our President?

3. Aaron says:

Change the title, please. It isn’t Alaska + Texas, it’s closer to California + Texas. Alaska itself covers well over half a million square miles.

Doesn’t make it any less scary, though.

4. john says:

Boy, I sure am glad that someone found a way to blame this entire scenario on our president. Yep, i smell Republican all over this global problem. Could it be that this also was occurring during any democratic presidency period? Surely not!

5. Aaron says:

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing that up (re: update).

6. arjuna says:

John…I..will..type..slowly..see..if..you..can..follow…..Nobody..said..republican
    ..president..caused..climate..change..still..with..me?..Going..on..long..time..
    ..idiot..president..says..it..isn’t..happening..sooooo..he..does..nothing..about..it
    democrats…kyoto…yes!…bush..kyoto..no! he..is..responsible..for..denial..and
    ..doing..NOTHING..now..when..action..is..needed..
    Try..to..follow..story..before..making..comment. Then..comment..will..make..
    sense! See..how..that..works?

7. fark_bush says:

arjuna, save your energy – these guys don’t possess the innate cognitive skills that are prerequisite for reasoning. Dunno how that happened, must have been bred out of them.

Just another right-wing mouth-breather, nothing to see here. Move along.

8. Paul K says:

Very disappointed to see the invective and personal attacks in some of the above comments. As to sea ice, it is interesting that while Northern Hemisphere sea ice is alarmingly low, Southern Hemisphere sea ice is at or very near to its record high. The prediction of total loss of NH sea ice over the next 30 – 40 years assumes a linear progression that is not supported by the historical record. There was a similar shrinkage in the 1930′s and 40′s when Arctic temperatures rose an astounding 1.7 degrees. The ice then expanded into the late 70′s.

9. Joe says:

Linear? We are very non-linear now. This is ahistorical because of global warming and the amplifying feedbacks (reduced albedo as ice is replaced with water).

Paul — i don’t know how old you are but I would be willing to bet that we will both live to see an ice-free Arctic.

10. Paul K says:

Joe,
    I’m not sure if I’d like to win or lose that bet. The company that holds my term insurance sure wants me to keep going another twenty or thirty years. These will certainly be interesting times. Seeing as how old we’ll be by then, I am happy to wager a strawberry shake and a bran muffin on the ice.

11. Bill says:

How does a lack of sea ice, whenever it comes, affect climate in US? Does this change the jet stream? Cancel cold fronts? Cascade into melting permafrost and melting Greenland glaciers? Should I invest in oceanfront Artic beach resort land?

12. Joe says:

It causes the Hadley cell (google it) to expand, which means the tropics and subtropics expand, which means drought in the south, and especially southwest. I believe the jetstream weakens also.

13. PAUL H. says:

ANY OF YOU BOTHER TO LOOK BACK TO THE 30′S 40′S OR 50′S. THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS PLANET HAS CHANGED, NOR WILL IT BE THE LAST.
    MAN CAN NOT DESTROY WHAT GOD HAS MADE. WE DO NEED TO BE RESPOSIBLE WITH WHAT WE HAVE.

14. rahulk says:

Well guys I do believe the jet stream weakens also.These will certainly be interesting times. Seeing as how old we’ll be by then, I am happy to wager a strawberry shake and a bran muffin on the ice.

——————————————————————————