Sen. Vitter (R-LA): Higher gas prices, blah, blah, blah

"Sen. Vitter (R-LA): Higher gas prices, blah, blah, blah"

[If you look up “message discipline” in the dictionary, you’ll find a picture of conservatives.]

Gasoline prices have risen sharply under than Democratic Congress.

It is a very reasonable question to ask what is this Lieberman Warner climate bill going to do to energy prices.

I have concluded it’s going to make that dire situation much worse.

It would do nothing to solve the carbon problem because it doesn’t address China and India.

By 2030, gasoline prices will go up $.40 to $1.00 and electricity prices will go up 40%.

As we push jobs overseas, where are they going? China, where they are continuing to build coal-fired power plants.

6 Responses to Sen. Vitter (R-LA): Higher gas prices, blah, blah, blah

1. charlie says:

and an effective message as well….nobody wants to pay more for gas.

2. Joe says:

sadly for the American public, unless we have an aggressive strategy to began a major transition to get off of oil in the next two decades, everybody’s going to pay a lot more for gasoline.

3. Ben says:

I support burrito powered transportation.

4. Paul K says:

Be honest, Joe. Raising gas prices is an integral part of your policy to force people toward alternatives and efficiencies.

5. Joe says:

Paul — do you even read this blog?

I have repeatedly said that raising gas prices through climate legislation is almost irrelevant to achieving 450 ppm. Now I do expect gas prices to continue to rise because of peak oil and because conservative blocked most major efforts to encourage fuel efficiency or alternatives for decades.

6. Paul K says:

C’mon Joe,
    You know I’m one of your most avid readers. I did not say and did not mean to imply you favor artificially raising the price of gasoline. I should have written rising prices rather than raising prices. Your opposition to direct carbon taxes is very sensible.

It is because of your opposition to direct carbon taxes that I am confused why you would have anything good to say about this bill. The auction system is a tax grab, not a market establishing mechanism. It will not necessarily reduce CO2 emissions, only make them costlier. It will not drive the technologies and efficiencies necessary for my goal to replace fossil fuels or your goal to reduce CO2. It is not a true cap and trade system.

There is a better way to approach the trade side of cap/trade, a way that will maximize technology and efficiency deployment. I started to outline an effective market scheme on another thread that is no doubt lost in the volume of your live blog postings. Once this bill goes to its well deserved demise, I’ll lay it out again in more detail. I think you’re going to like it.