No Anonymous Comments

By Joe Romm on June 27, 2008 at 3:48 pm

"No Anonymous Comments"

’nuff said!

‹ PREVIOUS
What drove the dramatic retreat of arctic sea ice during summer 2007?

NEXT ›
VW to join Toyota, GM with 2010 plug-in Hybrid

14 Responses to No Anonymous Comments

1. William Hutchinson says:

Who ever you clean freaks are, should be shot with SHIT. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GLOBAL WARMING. All you ASS Holes are doing is putting the Working man out of a Job, by increasing the price of oil. You are nothing but Loony Left Wing Extremist’s and Democratic Politics. I hope someday the truth will come out and prove that you have lied to the world. Just think of the saying, what goes around comes around.

2. paulm says:

There is no such thing as William Hutchinson.

3. Paul K says:

I have a friend named Philip Anonymous who just started reading your blog this week. He asked me to ask you if this means he is banned, too.

4. Bud says:

This is rich coming from someone called Joe – Blogger.

[JR -- I'm assuming you're being humorous, albeit awkwardly....]

5. Paul K says:

It’s kind of like Cheers. You want to go where everyone knows your name.

6. Will says:

Hard to say which is scarier: That William Hutchinson actually believes what he wrote, or that he believes he made a joke.

7. John Mashey says:

Good rule, and I also recommend (to any blog owner) perusal of John Quiggins’ discussion policy. it is all too easy for trolls to lower the S/N ratio to uselessness.

I normally killfile “Anonymous” wherever I can: if someone is so lazy they can’t even bother to enter a pseudonym, and hence waste people’s time (there’s nothing like having a thread have multiple different “Anonoymous” posters to be confusing), why should anyone waste time reading what they say?

8. Kiashu says:

I just have the system send me an email every time someone posts a comment, which I have to approve. This gives me amusing emails each morning and lets me screen out the morons.

It’s alright if they insult me, so long as they’re amusing. I knock back boring comments. Billy Hutchinson was boring, I’d knock him back.

9. Andy Bauer says:

Joe,
    I second John Mashey’s recomendation. I like this blog (a lot) for many reasons, one of them is that it is fairly ‘clean’. Whether it’s your screening or the maturity of the posters, it’s nice.
    On occasion, I share the posts with my 11 and 13 year olds, mostly because of your blog’s topic but also because of the high powered debating throughout.
    I’ll use the top post as a way to show them how to come across as uniformed and ill-mannered. I think it’s a Zen saying,”Everyone and everything is your teacher”.
    (but I’d rather not immerse them in that lesson!)

10. Hal Levin says:

If you won’t put your name on your comments, why would you expect anyone to read them or, if they did, give them any credence or serious consideration? WH: – Does the use of profanity strengthen the credibility of your comment or the correctness of your views? And why is someone with William Hutchinson’s view of climate change spending any time on this blog if he is so certain the climate change is a myth?

I visit Romm’s posts and the comments to read of the latest information and to see and sometimes participate in a dialogue about a variety of opinions on what to do about the Earth’s looming disaster. I am grateful to those who take the time to post thoughtful and informed comments. Adding their names to their comments enhances my view of their sincerity.

11. john says:

Good rule Joe.

Mr. Hutchinson:

At last, someone who really knows what’s going on. But be careful, sir, a few steps further to the right and you’ll fall right off the edge of the earth, and there be dragons there. It would be a shame to lose someone like you who really gets it.

12. Bud says:

Joe – it sounded funnier in my head ;)

13. exusian says:

William Hutchinson: Does this mean you believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy too?

14. Dano says:

William Hutchinson merely cut-pasted the Limbaugh comment special (must be all caps):

GLOBUL WARMINS A SCAY-UM.

Repeat 47 times. No other subtlety needed. Pat yourself on the back fer tellin’ them elitist greenies. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Best,