30 Responses to Sorry deniers: Eighth warmest June on record means Great Ice Age of 2008 is STILL over
I know we’re supposed to be going into a period of cooling, at least according to people who don’t believe in the scientific method, but for those who do, NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center reports in its “Climate of 2008 June in Historical Perspective“:
It is pretty darn hot in Greenland and Siberia, not like there’s anything important in those regions:
Seriously, though, a 4°C to 5°C anomaly over Siberia is bad news for anyone who worries about the 1000 billion tons of carbon locked away in the permafrost (see “Breaking News — Tundra 4: Permafrost loss linked to Arctic sea ice loss“). Speaking of sea ice:
According to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, the June 2008 Northern Hemisphere sea ice extent, which is measured from passive microwave instruments onboard NOAA satellites, was below the 1979-2000 mean. This was the third least June sea ice extent on record, behind 2006 and 2005.
[And yes, I’m aware that in the last couple of weeks the ice-extent trend line has diverged from last year’s record.]
The bottom line is that this decade is going to be the hottest decade in the historical record, as is the next decade, and the decade after that, until it is so friggin’ hot even Senator Inhofe may start to wonder if he was wrong.
- Yes, the globe is warming. But how fast?
- This just in: Great Ice Age of 2008 is STILL over
- “Hadley Center to deniers: We are STILL warming”
- Hansen throws cold water on cooling climate claim
- Nature article on ‘cooling’ confuses media, deniers: Next decade may see rapid warming
- NOAA: The second warmest March on record
- Where is the media on the incredible warming and extreme weather of February?
- Media enable denier spin 1: A (sort of) cold January doesn’t mean climate stopped warming
- No warming since 1998? Get real, deniers!
- NASA: 2007 Second Warmest Year Ever, with Record Warmth Likely by 2010
- Must read from Hansen: Stop the madness about the tiny revision in NASA’s temperature data!