The New Top 10 Climate Blogs

"The New Top 10 Climate Blogs"

Last summer, on the one-year anniversary of Climate Progress, I put together a list of the top 10 climate blogs. For the sake of objectivity, I used Technorati, which ranks all blogs by “authority” (the number of blogs linking to it). The lower the rank the better.

One of the blogs on that list, It’s Getting Hot In Here, has updated it (old ranks in parenthesis):

10. Climate Feedback (46,821 – #9) — “An informal forum for debate and commentary on climate science.”
9. A Few Things Ill Considered (35,362 - #2) — “A layman’s take on the science of Global Warming featuring a guide on How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic.”
8. SolveClimate.com (23,600 – NEW) – Daily Climate News and Opinion
7. Climate Ark (22,922 - #5) — “Climate Change and Global Warming Portal.”
6. Climate of Our Future (15,042 – #8) — “A discussion on climate change.”
5. It’s Getting Hot In Here (13,992 – #7) — “Dispatches from the youth climate movement.”
4. Celsias (8,394 – #3) — “Cooling the planet one project at a time.”
3. DeSmogBlog (6,671 – #4) — “Clearing the PR pollution that clouds climate science.”
2. Climate Progress (4,359 – #6) — “An insider’s view of climate science, politics, and solutions.”

…and the reigning champ:
1. RealClimate (3,222 – #1) — “Climate science from climate scientists.”

Yes, I’m now #2, which is one reason why I didn’t update it myself. Another reason is that there is more than one way to rank blogs.

You could, for instance, rank blogs by traffic using Alexa, which also allows you to directly compare different sites over time. But again, my modest amount of modesty dissuades me from doing so.

In any case, the blog-ranking business should, I think, be left to others — so they can take the heat for who is included and who is excluded, for what counts as a dedicated climate blog, and what doesn’t. Also, there are lots of others related websites that are certainly must reads, like Dot Earth.

In any case, if you are interested in keeping up to date on climate issues, then you should be regularly looking at several of the above blogs. I certainly do.

8 Responses to The New Top 10 Climate Blogs

And well that should be, Joe!

2. DJW says:

CP is #2. Slogan: “Joe Tries Harder”

3. John Hollenberg says:

Personally, I rate CP #1 and Realclimate #2–because there is a lot more really interesting and thought-provoking stuff on CP. Realclimate is of course great for the hardcore technical stuff.

4. coby says:

Congratulations to Climate Progress at #2!

Real Climate is a well deserved #1 hard to begrudge them that, I have seen other rankings where they are not even close, which does not make sense.

A Few Things Ill Considered (mine, was #2 now #9) has a new home:

but the old site remains higher ranked, the new not on the radar! I’m not sure what to do about that except wait it out I suppose….

The How to Talk to a Climate Sceptic has moved and grown as well:

Keep up the good work, Joe!

5. Jonas says:

The only climate blog I really read on a regular basis is Beyond Zero Emissions, because it is the only one willing to take a radical stance on the matter.

We don’t need to stabilize at 450ppm or so, which is what most climate blogs in Romm’s list seem to be okay with. We need to go much further. We need to go beyond zero emissions.

6. IANVS says:

Congratulations, Joe!

Just remember that no one remembers runnerup. :)

7. DavidONE says:

coby,

The only way to get traffic from old to new (other than wait for gradual migration) is to ask gristmill to redirect / mod_rewrite (preferably 301 / permanent).

I didn’t realise that http://gristmill.grist.org/skeptics had moved. Notes updated. Unfortunately, Google will likely see the new home as duplicate content of the old and, because gristmill is the original, largely ignore the scienceblogs location. The 301 redirect would fix that.

8. Michael says: