What are your thoughts on this historic night?

"What are your thoughts on this historic night?"

An astonishing achievement that brings hope back to those who care about global warming, clean energy, or rational, moral domestic and international policy.

McCain sold his soul, embraced the basest form of politics, and hugged not only Bush but the dirtiest of fossil fuels — and lost. Sad.

We may finally see what a country does when its leader really gets energy efficiency!

What are you thinking and feeling?

16 Responses to What are your thoughts on this historic night?

1. Brendan says:

Do I have to take a shot from your headline?

2. paulm says:

Yeah! YEAH!

Fingers crossed now…

(Historic!)

3. Jason says:

I’m particularly jazzed that it looks like Missouri will get a 15% clean electricity mandate: http://www.ksdk.com/news/elections/nov08/race29.htm

4. llewelly says:

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
    –Winston Churchill.

(But perhaps I should wait until an effective climate bill is actually passed before drawing up this quote.)

5. Charlie says:

Watching McCain’s concession speech, I’m amused to see that Palin can’t stop herself from smiling. Anticipating 2012?

6. thingsbreak says:

Hearing him talk- less than a week ago as he was being reamed by the right and the fossil fuel lobby for his comments on coal- like a sensible governor of a nation about energy and the electric grid was unbelievable. I couldn’t have asked for more after the last 8 years.

Hearing John McCain repeat, today of all days, the disgusting “Drill, baby, drill” mantra and then hear boos for Obama during McCain’s concession speech sealed his reputation for me.

7. Ed says:

Mostly, I have a great sense of relief. I believe our work toward a more sustainable future will now be easier than it may have become.

Thank you for live blogging!

8. Joe Galliani says:

We’re thrilled here in California. Many tears were shed during Obama’s terrific speech.

More importantly, we now have a chance to take the steps necessary to have a chance against climate change. Not a great chance, but perhaps with a truly intelligent person as President we’ll cut the coal; stop drilling here, there and everywhere; begin building the smart grid and renewable energy generators we must have; stop wasting time and money chasing clean coal and start taxing the greedy, mindless carbon producers who are destroying this planet and slowing killing us all.

9. Brian D says:

After having seen both McCain’s concession and Obama’s victory speeches:

McCain: This is the campaign he should have been running all along.

Obama: I like how he mentions environmental issues prominently (immediately after the Iraq and Afghanistan wars) as massive challenges, and how he explicitly combines alternative energies and job creation. For the first time in a long time, I’m looking forward to tomorrow.
    (And then I remember that Still President Bush is racing trap regulations out like a speed demon, and I bust out the whiskey.)

10. alex says:

I was a little confused by Obama’s reference to the world admiring America’s wealth. If you were to liquidate America you would discover that the country as a whole is a net debtor, as is the average US individual. In fact, the US has more debt than the rest of the world combined.

I’d have more fun gloating if I didn’t live in a country with a similar problem … the UK.

Now, China’s wealth! That is something to get excited about!

11. John McCormick says:

Putting aside the issues and challenges America’s new President must face,

a personal feeling:

Voting in VA — a state that once enforced a poll tax — gave me immense joy because my state and our nation took another huge step towards atoning for the sins of our racist past.

John McCormick

12. john says:

I was struck by how much I missed eloquence in a leader. After nearly 8 years of incoherence — incoherent policies, incoherent speeches — delivered by a strutting, swaggering moron who celebrated ignorance and contempt for the Constitution and the principles this country was founded upon — it was like giving a suffocating man a whiff of oxygen to hear a coherent statement of what this victory meant, and what our challenges ahead were.

Thank whatever gods may be that Americans had the wisdom to elect him.

13. Richard says:

Thank you America.

Now we have a chance. Let’s roll up our sleeves so the real work can begin.

Together we are mighty!

14. Will from Canada says:

Welcome back, Neighbour!

15. alex says:

Joe Galliani – I do hope you are right (about finally starting to address climate change). If the US does start to take it seriously then I think there is a good chance the rest of the world will follow. At the moment people in small countries that ARE making an effort just feel like mugs.

16. Dano says:

I liked the theme of ‘yes, we can’. After 8 years of incompetence from these neocon clowns and their poster boy and the resultant decline, it’s good to think that we actually _can_ do something.

It’s a new day

And maybe the Republicans can rebuild their party to extirpate some of the nutters and get some of their smart people back. We’ll need them for the steep, long road ahead.

Best,