Roll Call just reported:
Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) plans to challenge Rep John Dingell (D-Mich.) for chairmanship of the influential Energy and Commerce Committee, senior Democratic sources confirmed Wednesday.
The move marks a major showdown between two Democratic powerhouses, with implications for a host of major legislation next year from health care to global warming to renewable energy. Waxman currently chairs the Oversight and Government Reform panel.
I don’t think the fox will give up his position guarding the henhouse very easily, though.
UPDATE: Wonk Room compares and contrasts Waxman and Dingell’s record on global warming.
- Dingell and Boucher draft climate bill: Likely no CO2 cut until near 2030
- Other reactions to the Dingell-Boucher
- Dingell: Climate bill’s chances in 2008 “verge on impossible”
- Dingell’s Absurd Poison-Pill Climate Plan
- The New Congress needs to Do MORE than just Debate Climate Change and Hold Hearings