If you watch the Green Recovery event, post your comments here

"If you watch the Green Recovery event, post your comments here"

The live webstream is here. It starts at noon EST.

I can’t live blog it for obvious reasons.

The event will be also be posted for appointment viewing a few hours after it concludes (here).

Here is CAP’s “A Strategy for Green Recovery.” The jobs analysis is here.

6 Responses to If you watch the Green Recovery event, post your comments here

1. Schultz says:

Joe – I caught your introduction as well as part of Governor Rendell’s speech but I lost the live feed…not sure why but hopefully I can watch the program in full later this afternoon. Thanks.

2. Wes Rolley says:

The feed was so chopped up as to be impossible to follow. Like Schultz, I will watch it in full when the bandwidth requirement is not so bad.

BTW… I am on a high speed cable connection. so the problem was not local.

3. paulm says:

Oh cr*p, a canary is about to drown….

Venice sees worst flooding in 20 years
    Reports say 40% of the city’s historic buildings have been affected as city mayor tells residents to stay at home

…Workers were unable to install the raised wooden walkways used during flooding because the water rose too high and too quickly under heavy rains….

4. Joe says:

Apologies. I’ll post a permalink when it is up with some comments.

5. Jim Bullis says:

I just read of the new National Security Advisor and his focus on energy as a national security issue. My reaction to his inclusion of coal in his business friendly solution prompted the following discussion wherein I outline what I think is a practical way to get serious climate progress:

The fact that this business friendly approach includes coal will be seen as a big problem by some of the global warming folks. The cap and trade solution to the CO2 problem or other taxes on coal are business and consumer unfriendly measures. However, the more realistic solutions are still available. These include greatly improved automobile efficiency and more efficient electric power generation. It could turn out that solar and wind power are also practical.

I advocate a radical rethinking of the automobile as possibly the most effective approach. There are some interesting possibilities along this line, though significant change of public attitude about cars would need to come about.

The 1956 Volkswagen showed that real change was a possibility. This car provided the main functional requirements, but ignored the current fashion in automobiles. The Toyota Prius gives us a similar kind of change. These are just examples of very good engineering of the basic car.

An even bigger step is possible with cars that are allowed to be more radically different. Some examples are the Aptera (www.aptera.com) and the Miastrada (www.miastrada.com). I understand that the Aptera is nearly in production. Miastrada is more futuristic and is still in development. (I have an interest in the Miastrada project though it is not expected to be a gainful financial interest in the near future.)

These examples, or others that similarly break with tradition, could cut energy use for personal transportation by 80% to 90%. Such changes in energy use, whether it is via gasoline, diesel, electric, hybrid, or other power system, could change the energy arrangements of the world.

In such new circumstances, the possibility of seriously cutting usage of coal could become a practical objective. Under the Miastrada plan, we would use a system called distributed cogeneration where electricity would be generated in a way that heat would be used rather than thrown away as it is now done in most electric power plants. In effect we could get two to three times as much electricity out of our natural gas by using such methods. This would make coal the more expensive fuel choice, and that would set the stage for market forces to suppress use of coal.

Comment by Jim Bullis – December 1, 2008 at 2:37 pm