And the “dog bites man” story of the month goes to ….

By Joe Romm

"And the “dog bites man” story of the month goes to …."

… the New York Times for today’s:

Oil Giants Loath to Follow Obama’s Green Lead

The Obama administration wants to reduce oil consumption, increase renewable energy supplies and cut carbon dioxide emissions in the most ambitious transformation of energy policy in a generation.

But the world’s oil giants are not convinced that it will work.

Tell the Pulitzer committee to stop taking any more submissions.  We have an obvious winner.  Who ever would have guessed that big oil companies are loath to support efforts “to reduce oil consumption”?  If that isn’t “news” what is?  I guess the Times takes their motto literally:  ALL the news that’s fit to print.

Wait.  Stop the presses at the paper of record.  Here’s an even bigger story for them:

Tobacco companies loath to support efforts to reduce smoking

Where is my Pulitzer?

Related Post:

‹ Newbusters jumps the shark (if that’s possible) in its attack on my truthful statement “windpower now generates more jobs in this country than coal mining.”

Climate Equity Alliance Establishes Principles For Green Economic Reform ›

13 Responses to And the “dog bites man” story of the month goes to ….

1. paulm says:

here are some very good shots of the Wilkins Ice Bridge Collapse

2. Matt Herrick says:

These are up there with yesterday’s (April 7) Onion calendar headline: Cheap Airfare Sole Reason for Trip to Italy

3. oxnardprof says:

My version of the NY Times’ logo is “All the news that fits, we print.”

4. Will Koroluk says:

Is it my imagination, or have the denialists become noisier and more waspish since Obama won the election?

5. Rick C says:

Don’t feed the denier trolls.

6. Anne says:

Well, to be a bit more fair about this, some “oil” companies are seeing themselves as providing energy using an increasingly diverse set of sources, e.g. BP with their solar division. The companies that are able to diversify toward an increasingly “green” portfolio will be more competitive, profitable, and successful in the long run than the oil corps who stick their heads in the tarsands and ignore the green energy revolution. This is so obvious that it doesn’t even earn a gold star in Writing 101, let alone a Pulitzer.

7. Kipp Alpert says:

Deep Climate;
    Yes.I tried to question Brett twice last week and one post he deleted.So I am going to turn up the heat there. No one here can question my efforts for the truth of AGW to become the only factual reality.
    I don’t coddle deniers, because they know zero science and are only political fools. As I said, I have been fighting these low life’s everyday for a year. Try to do it yourself. Got to WUWT and blog everyday for a month and see how it feels to be doing it alone. I don’t need to get advice or crap from my fellow warmers on what to do. I have been one in twenty until three months ago when other believers came aboard so I can take a little credit for that.Now, I will pressure Brett more as he seems to delight in his assumed equanimity. KIPP

8. Nancy says:

The President of Shell Oil, Marvin Odum, was interviewed today on CSpan’s Washington Journal. He had a few interesting things to say about the future of the energy business and cap and trade vs carbon tax.

9. Will Koroluk says:

OT, but have any of you folks seen the new (to me) campaign to debunk the concept of clean coal. If you haven’t, you may want to visit http://www.thisisreality.org They have a hilarious spoof of a pitchman selling clean coal. And there are a few equally funny (in a sick sort of way) slogans like “Clean coal is like a healthy cigarette.”

10. Leland Palmer says:

While clean coal is an oxymoron, the technology of clean coal (carbon capture and storage) applied to biocarbon or biomass might be the most important answer to the whole runaway climate change problem:

I’ve sometimes wondered about this “clean coal is an oxymoron” campaign, and wondered if it has funding links to the oil industry. The oil industry, if judged by the output of the Council on Foreign Relations especially Scott Borgerson, doesn’t want any substantive action on climate change, because they apparently want the arctic to melt so they can drill for oil under the current polar icecap.

Check out “The Great Game Moves North” by Scott Borgerson on the
    CFR website. This follows a series of articles in Foreign Affairs (published by the CFR) and testimony by Borgerson in front of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

11. Leland Palmer says:

Oh, here’s a link to Borgerson’s “The Great Game Moves North – As The Arctic Melts Countries Vie for Control” :

In his testimony before Congress, Borgerson talked wistfully about the Russian’s nuclear powered icebreaker fleet, and suggested that the U.S. needs to build such a fleet, at a cost of a billion dollars per ship.

The CFR, by the way, has historical ties to the Rockefeller family, which remain major stockholders in ExxonMobil.

12. Adam Maraschky says:

This post made my day. Thanks Joe.

13. Peter Wood says:

In other words, “rent-seeking industries continue their rent-seeking”.