"Doggett (D-TX) switches to supporting the bill after “listening to the flat earth society and the climate deniers, and some of the most inane arguments I have heard against refusing to act on this vital national security challenge.”"

Doggett: “I Am Voting for Final Passage of the Climate Legislation in the Hope We Can Create a Better Bill”

Congressman Lloyd Doggett (D-TX) spoke on the House floor today about the Waxman-Markey bill:

“I struggled deeply about whether to support this flawed bill, but I finally determined that voting for it was my best hope for making it better.”

[Full text of his House floor statement follows below]

“Earlier today I voiced my strong objections to this bill.  I voted against the rule to permit this debate because of its rejection of some amendments that I thought would have improved this legislation.

“For three reasons, I’m voting for final passage.  First, I’ve been listening to the debate; not so much to those who support a bill that I’m not all that enthusiastic about, but listening to the flat earth society and the climate deniers, and some of the most inane arguments I have heard against refusing to act on this vital national security challenge.

“Second, I believe there is still some hope to make improvements once it gets out of the House – better to have a seat at the table to try to influence the change that is needed in this legislation.

“Third, I am convinced that unless we act today, the Senate will not act, and unless we act in this Congress, we will not get the international agreements we need to address this serious challenge.  I’m voting yes in the hope that we will have a better bill and we will have the international accord that we so desperately need to deal with this critical matter.”

25 Responses to Doggett (D-TX) switches to supporting the bill after “listening to the flat earth society and the climate deniers, and some of the most inane arguments I have heard against refusing to act on this vital national security challenge.”

1. Will says:

Joe, can you please provide a full list of the names and which way they went once the final vote it is cast? Thank you.

2. Raleigh Latham says:

Ditto on his comment, I would like to know who supported, and who opposed the bill.

3. Rick Covert says:

Just goes to show that not everyone in my state is nuts.

4. MarkB says:

Hopefully DeFazio and Kucinich use the same logic here. Both of them seem to be against it on the grounds that it’s too weak, but just listen to the majority who are against it – the denier clowns on the other side of the aisle.

5. dhogaza says:

Hopefully DeFazio and Kucinich use the same logic here.

Yes, indeed. If this goes down, I can’t imagine there’s a chance to pass anything this session. Better all around if we have this in place before the upcoming climate treaty talks.

6. TedN5 says:

I can’t believe DeFazio and Kucinich are opposing this bill. I’ve been a strong supporter of both but, if they can’t be realistic enough to voteo for ACES now and work for strengthening it in the Senate and conference, they don’t deserve our support.

7. Yuebing says:

8. Jim Beacon says:

Waxman-Markey just passed the final House vote.

Even after all the compromising and castration of the bill’s provisions, in the end only 9 Republicans voted for it.

Incredible and disturbing to say, 42 Democrats voted AGAINST it (and against their President, their Party and the people who voted them into office) (!) None of these so-called Democrats should be allowed to hold onto their office in the next elections.

9. Brian J. says:

Congratulations. Not only did you get the bill through, but when people who can’t afford food and energy come after you, you can claim that you couldn’t have done it without Republicans.

10. Nancy says:

It passed. After a torturous afternoon watching the debate, I am relieved, but I am left wondering what kind of people are running this country.

11. Will says:

WHOO!! ….now strengthen it!

12. Jim Beacon says:

Brian,

I’ve make it clear over the past month that I consider Waxman-Markey far from perfect and hope it will be improved in the Senate. As for your prediction, keep you day job. It’s sad that you don’t have enough brains to realize that people already can afford food and energy. Or didn’t you notice that prices of both, plus housing, insurance, health care and everything else shoot up through the roof over the past 8 years when the Republicans were in control and there was no Waxman-Markey to blame it on? Get your head on straight and start facing reality.

13. Chris Winter says:

A good gesture: Waxman and Markey are thanking staff members by name.

14. Dano says:

Brian J:

What will you say if Business As Usual happens and people can’t afford food and energy? That you and your Audacity of Dopes were to blame? Or will you blame dirrrrty stinkin’ lib’rullls on your moral failure?

Best,

D

15. Yuebing says:

(thanks jr)

16. Brian J. says:

I am facing reality. The entire point of W-M is to raise the price of energy generated through carbon. Therefore, prices on fuels, electricity generated through coal and natural gas, and anything dependent on fuel or energy (that is, everything) will rise.

There’s no point in phony CBO analyses assuming reabtes that don’t exist, no more fantasies about how technology will magically find new non-carbon-using energy sources. Because those things won’t happpen, and you know it. You won, we lost, and you’ll soon be trying to make life miserable (or shorter) for us all. Congratulations.

Oh, and unless Obama’s got your name in his Rolodex, you’ll be suffering just like we will, as a sacrifice to Gaia. Nice jorb.

17. John Hollenberg says:

> you’ll be suffering just like we will

Yes, but we will be suffering somewhat less as a result of this bill passing, since it is a start on tackling the climate change problem, which will affect everyone.

18. Gail says:

Oh Brian, Brian. Food and energy and everything dependent on energy are going to get horrifically expensive anyway, because of Peak Oil. Our easy days are behind us. Time for people to roll up their sleeves and learn how to plant potatoes.

Jim Beacon – or anyone – can we get a list of those filthy Democrats in name only who voted against this bill? We should bury them with our displeasure and run ads warning them that if they can’t behave like Democrats they will face outside dollars funding their progressive opponents in their reelection campaigns (oh and that goes for public option health care too).

19. lizardo says:

Roll call vote is here (names and party affiliation but they only give state if there are 2 reps with same last name.

Great statement by Lloyd Doggett.

20. Gail says:

Thanks, lizardo – I’ll be giving Frelinghuysen an earful. Isn’t it cute his family sponsored this ginourmous arboretum named for themselves in Morristown, where all the trees are croaking thanks to climate change, and his obdurate worship of right-wing ideology!?

Sweet, Rodney!

21. Food will be much, much more expensive if we don’t control global warming and much of the world’s agricultural land turns into desert.

22. Plainview says:

Brian J.,

Regardless of climate change, should we just wait until fossil fuel reserves run dry to start trying to figure out how to produce alternative forms of energy on a mass scale? Yes the Earth is flat, evolution is just a theory, climate change isn’t happening, the free-market will fix everything, blah blah blah. Wake me up in a couple hundred years when conservatives figure out the Earth is round and want to have an actual debate.

23. BBHY says:

Ah yes, what a great argument from the conservatives: it’s too expensive to not destroy our environment.

“Only when the last tree has died,
    the last river has been poisoned,
    the last fish has been caught,
    will we realize we can’t eat money”

BTW, what’s too expensive for you may not be too expensive for me. While the cost of your coal may go up, the cost of the sunshine on my solar panels will remain the same under this legislation: free.

24. GeneB_NoAGW says:

BBHY said: While the cost of your coal may go up, the cost of the sunshine on my solar panels will remain the same under this legislation: free.

You can use your precious solar panels now — without this useless legislation.

this legislation will cause the cost of everything else to go up. And will cause jobs to leave the country. And will actually cause us to import more oil.

25. GeneB_NoAGW says:

Charles Siegel says: Food will be much, much more expensive if we don’t control global warming and much of the world’s agricultural land turns into desert.

Um… We can’t control Global Warming. We can only adapt. But this “Climate” Bill WILL CAUSE FOOD TO BE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.