Obama willing to attend Copenhagen climate talks

By Joe Romm on October 5, 2009 at 8:59 am

"Obama willing to attend Copenhagen climate talks"

AT HOME IN MY BASEMENT WEARING SWEATS SINCE MY DAUGHTER WOKE UP EARLY, Oct 5 (ClimateProgress) — Reuters reported this interesting piece of news Friday:

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE, Oct 2 (Reuters) – U.S. President Barack Obama would consider attending climate talks in Copenhagen in December if heads of state were invited, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters on Friday.

“Right now you’ve got a meeting that’s set up for a level not at the head of state,” Gibbs said on Air Force One as Obama traveled home from a brief trip to Copenhagen. “If it got switched, we would certainly look at coming.” (Reporting by Jeff Mason)

Okay, sure, I’m never going to get the dateline Jeff Mason’s story had — but then he’s not going to get the one I had!

Anyway, I don’t think it would be much trouble to extend an invitation to heads of state.  After all, VP Gore went to Kyoto in 1997.  And then there is that other overseas trip the President made last week (see “If Obama is going to Copenhagen to push Chicago’s Olympic bid this week, he has to go in December to push a climate deal, yes?“)

So he should go, and I think there is a good chance he will.

UPDATE:  Please note this was a comment by Gibbs, who probably doesn’t follow this issue very closely.

‹ PREVIOUS
Cleantech venture capital investment continued recovering in third quarter spurred by stimulus funding — and is “now eclipsing biotech and IT

NEXT ›
Sen. Barrasso (R-WY) seeks to block intelligence on the national security threat posed by climate change. He needs to see the Fingar.

7 Responses to Obama willing to attend Copenhagen climate talks

1. pete best says:

The world must accept the measly emissions cuts on offer and carry the USA into the future of CO2 cuts for its a big user and its a very slow tanker turning for no one is quite so addicted to fossil fuels as the USA is.

20% of 2005 levels by 2020 might just set the stage for even bigger cuts but the liberals in power must get through congress what it can for the right is materially opposed to any cuts with his nihilistic vision.

If its the only way to get the USA doing something about emissions and energy usage then it must be.

2. Jeff Huggins says:

Part of leadership is (sometimes) not waiting for invitations.

A hypothetical discussion in the distant future:

Child: “President Obama: Why didn’t you do more to address the climate problem?”

President Obama: “I wasn’t invited.”

By the way, there is an invitation that the President should EXTEND, in my view, to some folks to come to the White House and have some chats: He should invite Rex Tillerson (not a junior representative) from ExxonMobil as well as the leaders of Chevron and CP.

Time to talk.

Let the invitations fly.

Cheers,

Jeff

3. Leif says:

I sincerely hope that President Obama has a aid assigned to read this blog daily. Including all the comments.

4. paulm says:

I certainly hope so too.

5. Jeff Huggins says:

Who’s Reading?

Yes, I also hope that one of President Obama’s folks reads CP (including comments) daily.

He and they still have my support and “hope”. Yet — and I’m sure they know this — there’s still MUCH work to do!

That said, I also hope that Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow and etc. have “their people” reading these things. If so, there’s a GREAT DEAL of “light shining” and (if you like) “skewering” to be done, figuratively speaking, regarding ExxonMobil. The time window is here, and they (ExxonMobil) provide plenty of “material”.

Jon and Rachel, where are you?

Cheers,

Jeff

6. Peter Wood says:

With the various players locking themselves into a game of chicken, I don’t see how we could get a successful outcome at Copenhagen without a serious presence from heads of state.

I totally agree with Jeff that Jon Stewart and their people should be reading this blog — they might realise that cap and trade legislation is much more exciting than they make it out to be. And I would also like to see Joe appear on Jon Stewart’s show! :)

7. Sasha says:

Heads of state HAVE been invited to Copenhagen…