"If you have nothing better to do, here’s Examiner.com’s First Annual Push Poll on Global Warming."

pigeonOkay, the Examiner.com calls it their “First Annual Survey on Global Warming.”  But I think you’ll agree with our friendly neighborhood Rabett that it’s more like a “push poll.”

What has gotten Eli hopping mad?  This remarkable “you-are-a-pigeon question”:

Which, if any, of the following statements comes closest to capturing your attitudes and opinions about global warming?

(We’ll give you a chance to amplify in your own words later–but I need to pigeonhole–umm, stereotype–umm, put you in a ‘box’ if at all possible. If necessary, just pick the least objectionable statement, or indicate that you prefer not to say.)

O I believe global warming is the crisis of this generation, and should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.

O I think global warming is undoubtedly real and a serious problem, but I think it has been ‘overplayed’ by the press, politicians and some organisations.

O It looks to me like global warming probably has a grain of truth in it, but it’s almost certainly not as bad as it has been made out to be.

O I believe global warming is true, but not man-made.

O I don’t believe global warming is true. I think natural forces account for the changes in climate and there’s no need to look at human contributions–which in any event have not been proven.

O This issue is not even at the top of my radar screen. I don’t pay much attention to global warming or climate change, it doesn’t influence how I live, how I spend my money, who I vote for–I don’t really pay too much attention to this.

O I prefer not to say.

I’m filing this post under humor only because I never bothered starting a category for “unintentional humor.”

Eli notes “the airspace between the first and the second choice and the fine gradations between the rest,” which is to say that all of the later choices are designed to 1) get lots of votes that totally outnumber the votes for the first choice and 2) make the first choice seem extreme, even though it is certainly the closest to representing the current state of our scientific understanding, albeit not with language I would use (see “Intro to global warming impacts: Hell and High Water” and UK Met Office: Catastrophic climate change, 13-18°F over most of U.S. and 27°F in the Arctic, could happen in 50 years, but “we do have time to stop it if we cut greenhouse gas emissions soon”).

Examiner.com has inspired me to offer my own “First Annual Survey on the Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll on Global Warming.”  Which, if any, of the following statements comes closest to capturing your attitudes and opinions about the Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll on Global Warming?

• I believe the Examiner.com’s First Annual Push Poll is the single most laughable example in recent memory of how deniers and delayers try to use every form of media to misinform and mislead the public on global warming, which is the gravest preventable threaten to the health and well-being of future generations, and should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.
  • I believe the Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll is the second most laughable example in recent memory of how deniers and delayers try to use every form of
    media to misinform and mislead the public on global warming, which should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.
  • I believe the Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll is undoubtedly a real and a serious problem, but I think it has been ‘overplayed’ by Eli Rabbet, and is more of an irrelevant waste of time than an outright push poll aimed at misinforming and misleading the public on global warming, which should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.
  • I believe the Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll is not at all serious, but an obvious spoof of a real poll on global warming, which should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.
  • I don’t believe the Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll is true.  You made it up.  What do you take us for — anti-scientific deniers and delayers who don’t know the first thing about global warming, which should be the highest priority for policy makers right now?
  • The Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll is not even at the top of my radar screen, assuming that I even had a radar screen, which I don’t.  I’m too busy trying to stop catastrophic global warming, which should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.
  • I prefer not to say just how lame is the Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll global warming, which should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.

If you would like to amplify on your opinions regarding global warming and climate change, please do so in the Comments section.

15 Responses to If you have nothing better to do, here’s Examiner.com’s First Annual Push Poll on Global Warming.

1. Steve O says:

|X| The Examiner’s First Annual Push Poll is not even at the top of my radar screen, assuming that I even had a radar screen, which I don’t. I’m too busy trying to stop catastrophic global warming, which should be the highest priority for policy makers right now.

So now you’ve messed up my non-existent radar screen. Thanks a lot.

2. MarkB says:

Very poorly-written skeptics push-poll. For starters, good survey answers need to be short and mutually exclusive. The question also needs to be answerable. In this case, answer 1 is too extreme. All other answers are grossly inaccurate. Internet polls are of course non-scientific as well.

I present a poll that is of at least the same quality. I posted this on Fuller’s blog (this is where you are redirected to after filling out the survey):

a. Global warming is the most serious long-term environmental problem facing the world.

b. Global warming is happening and according to scientists, is mostly attributable to human activities in recent decades.

c. Global warming is a problem with potentially serious consequences. Policies should be carefully formed that provide market incentives to gradually reduce carbon emissions by 80% over the next 50 years.

d. Global warming is a hoax perpetuated by thousands of scientists.

We will then add up answers a through c. What’s left are the skeptics.

3. Twisile says:

I have seen the effects of global warming and it has influenced my life greatly, sometimes i don’t even use my air conditioner and other appliances that keep adding more CO2 in the air, it might not seem like a lot but I try.. after all my dad reminds me about global warming every chance he gets…Global Warming should be the Hot Topic of Politics and Other international leaders, we can not blame other countries for produces too much CO2 but we can come together and fight this thing till we have won. The blame is on everyone and it not about believing ‘ it about seeing the changes around!’

4. Jeff Huggins says:

I’ve seen too much poorly-designed and poorly-implemented (not to mention poorly-interpreted) market research to try to determine how many of these problems are related to motivation or bias or, instead, simply to “not very good thinking”. I’ve seen much research, done by very well-intentioned people, trying to get at the real answers, but designed or written poorly.

So, as I see the huge airspace between the first and second answers (and other problems), so I do agree that this is not a very good piece of research, I have no knowledge of the Examiner and I don’t know whether this is purposeful or accidental?

In either case, I don’t think it’s great research.

YET — always curious — I’d still love to see the results, although I’ll take them “lightly”.

Whatever the results are, plenty of polls (and basic common sense) show that the media are doing a terrible job relative to the importance of these issues, i.e., climate change and energy.

So, enough polls already. It’s time — really — for people to camp out on the front doorstep of The New York Times, etc., figuratively speaking, or perhaps not so figuratively speaking.

Cheers,

Jeff

5. paulm says:

THis trend downwards in the belief in global warming recently (in the developed nations) is peculiar.

I think people are now confronting the reality of it and are trying to duck the issue as on reflection it does not look like a winnable situation…

6. Raleigh Latham says:

I need to know which Democrat senators I can call to make sure the Clean Energy act passes the Senate, if anyone has the numbers of people I should call, or petitions I should sign, please email raleighlatham@comcast.net. Thank You.

7. Dano says:

We will then add up answers a through c. What’s left are the skeptics.

Surely you meant pseudoskeptics.

;o)

Best,

D

8. MarkB says:

“Surely you meant pseudoskeptics. ”

I usually include quotes around “skeptics”.

9. Alex A. says:

If you took the time to take that poll, please take the time to email your senators and tell them you support strong climate change and clean energy legislation.

10. The data I want to see are results of this very same poll given 5 or 10 years from now.

11. Rick Covert says:

I would have regarded this push poll as humorous if the circumstances weren’t so damned serious.

12. Leif says:

Perhaps we are reading the downward trend wrong and it is not people becoming skeptical but upon starting to see the “light” are reeling in terror at the ramifications and looking for relief. Any port in a storm and all that. But this storm will not abate without our help.
    Yet another title there at the end Joe. A bit long, but… A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall. cc but appropriate.

13. Jay Alt says:

Joe – FYI, the ClimateArk news feed is stuck on 10/28

14. shannon says:

that one is pretty fun but true…