By Joe Romm

"Sen. Inhofe explains he’s going to Copenhagen so that when Sen. Kerry says “Yes. Were going to pass a global warming bill” then “I will be able to stand up and say, ˜No, its over. Get a life. You lost. I won! "

Thousands and thousands of climate science advocates — including me — will be in Copenhagen next month trying to advance an international deal that gives the world a chance to avoid catastrophic global warming.

And then there will be the man even the Washington Post calls “the last flat-earther,” Sen. James Inhofe (R-OIL).  Why is he going?  The Ada Evening News reported Monday:

Inhofe said he still intends to attend the 2009 Copenhagen Climate Conference.

“I’m always the spoiler at this thing. Last night I was on the Larry Kudlow show. He said, ‘Inhofe is the one-man truth squad going to Copenhagen.’ So when Barbara Boxer, John Kerry and all the left get up there and say, ‘Yes. We’re going to pass a global warming bill,’ I will be able to stand up and say, ‘No, it’s over. Get a life. You lost. I won,’ ” Inhofe said.

Sadly, the U.S. Constitution restriction — “No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years” — applies only to physical age.  The senior junior-high-school Senator from Oklahoma is proof of that.  What’s next for Inhofe?  Perhaps during the Senate floor debate he plans to say “La, la, la, la, I can’t hear you”?

Inhofe makes other equally revealing nonsense statements in the interview:

“The far left is trying so hard to get a cap-and-trade now,” Inhofe said

Yes, Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and Joe Lieberman (I-CT) are the “far left” — see Graham, Kerry, and Lieberman “will be working closely with the White House” to develop separate tripartisan climate bill to get 60 votes; Graham rebukes fellow Republicans saying, “The green economy is coming!”

That statement just shows you how far, far, far right Inhofe is.

Inhofe said the Committee on Environment and Public Works passed the John Kerry””Barbara Boxer global warming bill without any Republican votes.

“We set up the rules of the Environment and Public Works Committee way back in 1970″”a long time ago. The rules say that you can’t report a bill out of the committee to go to the floor of the Senate unless there are two members of the minority there,” Inhofe said. “What we did was I told all of the Republicans not to go so they couldn’t have an official mark-up.

It’s good that he finally admitted the truth that the GOP claim this was all about waiting for more EPA analysis was as bogus as everyone thought.  He just wanted to kill the bill.  But since that bill isn’t going to the floor, his whole effort was wasted.

The entire article makes clear that Inhofe channels Groucho “Whatever it is, I’m against it” Marx.  It opens:

Although the healthcare bill made it through the House of Representatives on Saturday, United States Senator Jim Inhofe said it would face a harder road in the Senate.

“We will kill it in the Senate,” Inhofe said. “I think the main thing I want to get across is it doesn’t really matter because it (the healthcare bill) is not going anywhere.”

That’s The Audacity of Nope.

Ironically — or is that “tragically”? — if we don’t have a climate bill, future generations are going to need a lot better health care:

The article ends with even more irony:

Inhofe said he has secured many funds for Ada, including $440,000 for a water tower for the city, $500,000 for the Ada Public Works Authority to treat Ada’s wastewater/sewer system, $250,000 for the Wintersmith Dam along with other funds for the city.

Imagine that — Inhofe has brought in more than $1 million for water-related projects for the city.

Well, Ada is going to need those projects even more if the nation and the world actually listens to Inhofe and fails to take serious action on climate and clean energy, since on our current emissions path most of Oklahoma is projected to turn into a permanent dust bowl in the second half of this century.

Two years ago, Science (subs. req’d) published research that “predicted a permanent drought by 2050 throughout the Southwest” on our current emissions path “” levels of aridity comparable to the 1930s Dust Bowl would stretch from Kansas and Oklahoma to California.  The Bush Administration itself reaffirmed this conclusion in December (see US Geological Survey stunner: SW faces “permanent drying” by 2050.)

But hey, the newspaper’s website notes it has been “Serving Ada, Oklahoma since 1904.”  So it’ll be able to rerun those old Dust Bowl stories — for a long, long time (see NOAA stunner: Climate change “largely irreversible for 1000 years,” with permanent Dust Bowls in Southwest and around the globe).

h/t Media Matters.

‹ Baucus supports a climate bill and knows it will pass Congress, but Senate Finance Committee calls on polluter lobbyists to attack clean energy yet again

Cameron Russell: Why I Took It Off For Climate Change ›

25 Responses to Sen. Inhofe explains he’s going to Copenhagen so that when Sen. Kerry says “Yes. Were going to pass a global warming bill” then “I will be able to stand up and say, ˜No, its over. Get a life. You lost. I won! 

1. Senator Inhofe is the very best and brightest of the global warming deniers cult. There is no finer mind or sharper intellect on the denier side and the folks who agree with him have the most perfect representative of who they are and what they stand for in this United States Senator from the state of Oklahoma. One can only imagine their pride of ownership.

But I’m smelling a mind-blowingly funny documentary from the footage of Senator Inhofe’s every waking moment in Copenhagen. “The Dope Goes To Cope” is just one possible title…

2. Leif says:

Inhofe says- “No, it’s over. You lost. Get a life. I won!” “You” meaning the struggling masses of the world, the birds and bees, the anamials that Noah slaved to save from the “flood,” the fish in the seas, the sparkling rivers that run from snow capped mountains to replenish the forests and fields, the whole shibang, and by “I” he means one old power hungry igo inflated gas bag. Take your pick America…

3. WAG says:

“This isn’t an argument: it’s just contradiction!”

4. Jim Bouldin says:

Kerry just took apart a certain Mr. Green from AEI in a senate hearing, Green saying that a 2 deg C rise would not cause any major problems, and that the US was the only country that honored international treaties. Kerry responded by saying that he was at the UNFCCC in Rio and that in the 18 years since, the U.S. has done absolutely nothing except produce a tremendous rise in emissions since that time. He said, “you just throw this stuff out there”. Then he called him out on the 2 degree statement, asking him whether he knew things that thousands of peer reviewed scientists did not. He also asked him whether any of his studies were peer reviewed, to which Green said no but that there are others supporting his position that were and would provide them. Kerry looking incredulous the whole time, then he immediately adjourned the hearing.

5. Rick Covert says:

Creative Greenius, if Inhofe represents the best and the brightest of the deniers then the deniers are in a lot worse trouble than I thought.

WAG, that Monty Pythyon line, applied in this context, is hilarious!

6. Brewster says:

WAG;

That Argument Clinic is an Excellent Bit – Posting it in a couple of strategic places…

7. TomG says:

Personally I’m enjoying this Inhofe meltdown.
    The more he proves that he’s an idiot, the better.

8. caerbannog says:

“This isn’t an argument: it’s just contradiction!”

And the Black Knight always triumphs!

9. Bill Maddox says:

I imagine that Inhofe also thinks the universe was created about 6000 year ago.

10. Leif says:

Elaborating on # 1, creative greenius’s suggestion- The Dope Goes to Cope to Say Nope, Dissing Hope.

11. Dennis says:

“I imagine that Inhofe also thinks the universe was created about 6000 year ago.”

5770 years ago. we’re scientists here; let’s be precise.

12. Bill Maddox says:

I stand corrected.

13. paulm says:

Who the hell is Inhofe?

14. Andy Bauer says:

Inhofe:

Intractable.
    Not
    Honoring
    Of
    Facts,
    Evidence.

15. Rick says:

“Get a life” haven’t heard that one for a while. What a regrettable expression.

Anyway, Inhofe is obviously not alone in his efforts, even if he is the most vocal. Otherwise he wouldn’t be able to say “we will kill it in the senate”

If he was really so isolated as is implied here, he would be melting away by now instead of digging in.

16. “If he was really so isolated … he would be melting away by now instead of digging in.”

I’m not sure that is correct. While my experience hardly defines the metric by which such things are determined, it has been my experience that the more isolated such people get, the more vocally entrenched (dug in) they become. “Melting away” would imply a level of rationality that Inhofe has never had to live up to — after all, his constituents keep re-electing him.

17. I find it hard to identify Senator Inhofe’s constituents. He certainly fails to represent the future interests of human beings – and since this is a global problem, that would be including citizens of Texas.

18. “including citizens of Texas”

(And parts of Oklahoma …)

19. WAG says:

This Seinfeld episode is probably where Inhofe gets his science:

20. 17, 18 Correction. THanks Yes, of course we must blame Oklahoma voters for installing the black knight representative of the entire Oil Industry.

He just will not quit…like Black Knight of the same Monty Python movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690&feature=related

“Look you stupid bastard, you got no arms left!”
    “The Black Knight always triumphs!”
    “What are you going to do, bleed all over me?”

21. Per#20: Offered in good humor; perfect analogy for Inhofe, by the way!

22. Ruth Brandt says:

Where exactly is he planning to say these words of wisdom? If it is anywhere other than a deniers side-event, I think he will get very much booed. I would have said that would be a good thing, maybe open his eyes to how the rest of the world is perceiving this. But since it’s Inhofe we’re talking about, I’m sure that will just be a confirmation that the whole world is out to get America – and him – and he needs to step up his efforts to keep America strong…

23. John Bruemmer says:

In my opinion and thousands of Scientist, Worldwide, Sen. Inhofe makes a good point. Tax payers will be paying the Bill. Any of you brilliant people that ragged on Sen. Inhofe researched the subject yourselves, or just go along with the Mainstream Media and Al Gore. You also better research Obama, the nwo, bilderberg, illuminati, masons, skull and bones, the un and cfr, cap and trade, monsanto, and read the Copenhagen Climate Treaty and you will see what is really happening in the USA. Watch the Movie (found on Google) “The Great Global Warming Swindle”.
    Google Prescott Bush and everything else above along with Continental Congress 2009. I am for Green Power but not at the Expence of a Free USA and jobs and I put People before a 2 inch fish. (Delta Smelt google it).

24. realist says:

Pray that Senator Imhofe wins. Or haven’t you been reading about Climate Gate?

[JR: Must have missed it.]