Climate

Lord Monckton meltdown: “I’m not going to shake the hands of Hitler youth.”

TVMOB caught on video in multiple extreme falsehoods: “There hasn’t been any global warming for 15 years” — according to all 5 global temperature databases! Falsely asserts Trenberth agrees.

The Viscount Monckton of Brenchley (TVMOB) is one of the most grotesque liars in the climate arena, as the above video shows.

TVMOB repeatedly claims there has been no warming since 1994! And he compounds that falsehood with several more, by asserting that all 5 global temperature databases agree with him, when in fact none of them support that assertion (see Statisticians reject global cooling; Caldeira “” “To talk about global cooling at the end of the hottest decade the planet has experienced in many thousands of years is ridiculous”).

For the record, in NASA’s and NOAA’s record, 2005 was the warmest year on record .  The Met Office/Hadley/CRU data shows steady warming over the past decade (see here).  And according to NOAA, both satellite datasets show warming this decade (see “NOAA: Second hottest September on record and virtual tie for hottest in lower troposphere from satellite data“.

Then TVMOB falsely asserts climatologist Kevin Trenberth agrees in private with TVMOB’s claims, when he most certainly does not (see Let’s look at one of the illegally hacked emails in more detail “” the one by NCAR’s Kevin Trenberth on “where the heck is global warming?”).

Of course, Lord Monckton has gotten much attention in Copenhagen for his grotesque hate-speech aimed at young climate science realists (see Monckton meltdown:  TVMOB repeats and expands on his charge that those who embrace climate science are “Hitler youth” and fascists).  The above video shows just how unrepentant, insensitive, and indiscriminate TVMOB is with his hate speech.  For TVMOB, any young person who interrupts a presentation of his is Hitler Youth.  Heck, just even being nearby other activists makes you Hitler youth.

Again, Monckton should be condemned by the Congressional conservatives who embraced him and have had him testify, like Barton who said (see Rep. Barton: Climate change is ‘natural,’ humans should just ‘get shade’ “” invites ‘expert’ TVMOB (!) to testify):

“I especially want to thank Lord Monckton for testifying. He is generally acknowledged as one of the most knowledgeable, if not the most knowledgeable, expert from a skeptical point of view on this issue of climate change. I’m very glad he could stay over this week in the United States and testify at the hearing.”

h/t Campus Progress’s Tommaso Boggia.

10 Responses to Lord Monckton meltdown: “I’m not going to shake the hands of Hitler youth.”

1. Wouter says:

He had another (what seems to be) unedited post on Watts Up With That. When I started to read up on this topic, I figured I’d try to get a balanced view by reading both this blog and WUWT, but they’ve been increasingly frustrating over the last couple of weeks.

2. These appear to be the facts on the ground:

Trillions in dodgy financial instruments, fraudulent ponzi schemes and ill-gotten gains for self-proclaimed Masters of the Universe. Billions in bonuses and ‘rescue’ dollars for dishonorable fat cats and their minions on Wall Street. Millions in job losses, foreclosure notices and unemployment benefits for human beings with feet of clay on Main Street. A pittance for saving the Earth from greed-mongering wealth concentrators, the irresponsible economic powerbrokers and their bought-and-paid-for politicians who are the perpetrators of the colossal ecological mess that will be left for the children to clean up after the conspicuous overconsumers and obscene hoarders of my generation have pleasured ourselves to death.

3. Leif says:

“Revolution is societies method of dealing with compound interest.” Do not recall the source, however a very pertinent observation. As a smaller and smaller portion of the world amasses more and more of the resources humanity might look at history. There is more than enough money out there to eliminate the national debt as well as put the world on a sustainable trajectory. (I recently read evidence that the drug cartel laundered 350 billion dollars in cash during the banking crises.) All society needs to do is redistribute the wealth and start from scratch. It has happened before, what is to stop it from happening again?

4. Tony Noerpel says:

Joe

Shouldn’t you use TTVMOB as in The Third Viscount Monckton of Benchley?

You are ripping him off of another initial.

[JR: I like TVMOB, especially since the shout down video.]

5. Chris says:

The amount of denial out there about global warming is reaching ridiculous proportions. Imagine if it were 1941, and the Greatest Generation, instead of confronting the Axis threat, dithered and declared that the invasions of France and Poland were just “natural fluctuations in the size of empires.” Throw in some hatred of a Democratic president (Roosevelt) and a concocted scandal about some
    hacked telegrams and history might have taken a different course.

These are decisive days for “future history,” and I wonder how future generations will look at us.

6. MarkB says:

I’ve always wondered why deniers tout Monckton as an authority.

Lindzen I understand. Exxon-funded, yes, but still credentialed.

Spencer I understand. In close contact with Rush Limbaugh, a creationist, and badly wrong over the years with his satellite data, but still credentialed.

Michael Chrichton I understand. Although he had no credentials in climate science, he spun a good tale.

Marc Morano I understand. Although clearly a political hack and smear merchant, he’s an effective communicator and propagandist for their cause.

But Monckton? The guy strikes me as just weird. He’s a journalist with no real scientific credentials, is woefully wrong on science, thought AIDS patients should be quarantined, and comes across as clumsy and just plain goofy. What are his qualities that make him an effective and credible messenger? But the only thing the video revealed to me that I didn’t know about him are his physical facial features. What’s going on with his eyes bulging way out of their sockets? They look kind of like this at times:

In all seriousness, is there some real physical problem there?

7. Richard Brenne says:

Aside from an almost perfect Marty Feldman impersonation, calling an extremely thoughtful, articulate and restrained young Jewish man a Nazi – repeatedly – and pulling an all-time record amount of stuff out of his arse, Monckton is spot-on.

The one point he has that Lester Brown of WorldWatch generally agrees with is that we shouldn’t sacrifice food for bio-fuels crops. Other than that, his assertions about climate change being all scare and no substance lead me to believe that he should look in a mirror – at least if there are no small children who could get a glimpse of his reflection. Talk about scary.

8. Marion Delgado says:

I tried believing the Viscount’s climate papers for one week – and now I have no cancer, no HIV, and no Grave’s disease in my body!!!

9. Dan B says:

Richard;

Thanks for the belly laughs!! Especially the “all-time record amount of stuff pulled out of his arse, Monkton is spot-on.”

You hit the nail on the head.

We’re going to need all the humor we can, humor at the human condition, to get through the next couple decades of climate collapse – and put things back on course.

Emotional intelligence, particularly humor, are going to be key tools in getting everyone (except, perhaps, the nutty Monktons) on course.

Keep it up.

10. Wilma says:

I thought climate change was about science. How shallow can you be to belittle human physical appearance.