By Climate Guest Contributor

"Palin: ˜I joined Fox because theres too much ˜opinion interjected in hard news in the mainstream media"

When it comes to ex-Gov Sarah Palin, irony died a while ago, but I’m still posting this under humor.  After all, Palin was speaking on Leno.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has called Palin a conservative leader on energy issues. She has also emerged as a conservative thought leader on the science (see WashPost goes tabloid, publishes second falsehood-filled op-ed by Sarah Palin in five months “” on climate science and the hacked emails!).  Now she explains why she joined FoxNews, as reported in this Think Progress repost.

In January, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) joined other potential 2012 Republican presidential nominees at Fox News as a paid contributer. Last night, she appeared on Jay Leno’s show and decried the state of the mainstream media as “quite broken,” and “” touting her employer’s slogan “” in need of more “fairness” and “balance”:

PALIN: I studied journalism, my college degree there in communications. And now I am back there wanting to build some trust back in our media. I think the mainstream media is quite broken and I think there needs to be the fairness, the balance in there “” that’s why I joined Fox. Fair and balanced, yes. You know because, Jay, those years a go that I studied journalism it was all about the who, what, when, where, and why, it was not so much the opinion interjected in hard news stories. “¦ As long as there is not the opinion under the guise of hard news stories “” I think there needs to be clear differentiation.

Watch it:

If Palin wanted to find a place where hard news is not mixed with opinion, she could not have made a worse choice than Fox News. The cable channel claims that while its editorial shows present “vibrant opinion” “” all of which have a decidedly rightward lean “” its straight news slots are objective. But as ThinkProgress has repeatedly documented, opinion leaks into Fox’s supposedly straight news, with breathless promotion of the Tea Party movement, distortions of facts and outright parroting of GOP talking points. Even the company’s own president admitted yesterday that the White House had some “legitimate complaints” during its spat with Fox News last fall. It’s also ironic that Palin would suggest that Fox is not part of the “mainstream media,” considering that its rating consistently beat rivals CNN and MSNBC.

‹ Development funding done right

Anti-science crowd melts down as UT Knoxville presents Al Gore an honorary doctoral degree ›

13 Responses to Palin: ˜I joined Fox because theres too much ˜opinion interjected in hard news in the mainstream media

1. caerbannog says:

(Reposted from below)

Another interesting article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/science/earth/04climate.html?ref=global-home&pagewanted=all

Excerpt:

The linkage of evolution and global warming is partly a legal strategy: courts have found that singling out evolution for criticism in public schools is a violation of the separation of church and state. By insisting that global warming also be debated, deniers of evolution can argue that they are simply championing academic freedom in general.

No Siree — global-warming skeptics aren’t being driven by ideology or opinions here. They just want to make sure that their (and our) children learn Fox-approved “sound science”

2. Wit's End says:

Yes Palin should most definitely be filed in the humor department. What I want to know is, how and why did she switch babies?? Please tell us Sarah! Enquiring minds want to know! http://witsendnj.blogspot.com/2010/02/sarah-palin.html

3. climate undergrad says:

If you didn’t catch it, Jon Stewart did a phenomenal commentary on this hysterical/scary advertisement of “fair and balanced.”

4. Richard Brenne says:

Nobody injects more opinion into more news stories, supposedly straight or otherwise, than Fox.

During the Bush Administration Fox was tantamount to Pravda (print) or Tass (broadcast) in the Soviet Union as an official, uncritical voice for the existing government. Now they’re the voice for the government-in-waiting and thus almost nothing but critical of the Obama Administration, as they were of Clinton’s.

Even though at least half the audience evidently chose to attend that Tonight show to strongly support her, when Palin told that bald-faced lie about Fox being “fair and balanced” there was a kind of gasp of disbelief seen in Leno and heard from much of the audience. There was more irony in the air than when a fire truck here in Portland rescued a cat from a tree to huge applause, then drove away and ran over the cat.

Leno needed to grow a pair and mock “Fair and balanced? Are you crazy, lying or stupid? I guess all three, like a Fox.” Or simply direct a look into the camera for a sufficiently long time to register the appropriate amount of disbelief.

Sarah Palin can lie without blinking more than anyone I know (okay, outside of Fox or the last administration). This is an extremely dangerous ability.

In response to the often-quoted Reagan line that the nine most dangerous words were “I’m from the government and I’m here to help” (Bush could’ve smirked this line mockingly in the Superdome in the days after Katrina), Bill Mahar said the nine most dangerous words were actually “I’m Sarah Palin, now show me the launch codes.”

5. Wit's End says:

Richard Brenne, surely you were not intending to denigrate Vulpes vulpes!!

6. DavidCOG says:

> When it comes to ex-Gov Sarah Palin, irony died a while ago…

But the clapping and whooping was ironic. Yes?

7. Wit's End says:

DavidCOG, she’s told an awful lot of whoppers…

8. Leland Palmer says:

Well, she should be right at home, there.

I think she’s found her dream job, sandwiched in between O’Reilly and Mr ‘Splainer Man, if he’s still ‘splaining stuff like why Social Security is bad for you.

9. sd says:

Just when I thought George W had won. Is she really that dumb? Maybe she is right that evolution is just a hoax.

10. Richard Brenne says:

Gail (Wit’s End #5) – Never! I love foxes! (Capital F Foxes, not so much.) I have a theory about everything and one is that all other species have somehow spoken amongst themselves and decided to kill us off before we can do the same to them and they evidently decided to start with me on my bicycle, because frequently riding from a key scientist’s house high in the Rocky Mountains back home to Boulder often after dark a succession of suicide-bombers who don’t have our species’ genius to strap explosives to their furry selves instead elected to run right under my front tire while I descended at high speed at night, first a raccoon and then two foxes or maybe one especially determined fox. I barely avoided hitting any of my dear friends and never fell, but have since befriended many foxes who prefer I use their Latin name you use, vulpes. What magnificent individuals! And smarter than Palin (who I’m sure given any chance would gleefully and sadistically shoot them from snow machines)!

11. Wit's End says:

Haha Richard Brenne, after I got this picture I saw not one or two but three foxes frolicking in my back yard! They were yipping and squabbling and dancing all around. I didn’t have my camera, alas.
    I hope you have a good headlamp on that bicycle!

12. Chris Winter says:

DavidCOG wrote: “But the clapping and whooping was ironic. Yes?”

Actually, I think it was electronic. I have it on good authority that Leno’s people pumped up the laugh track for Ms. Palin.

13. Wit's End says:

Do not be drinking any sort of beverage when you click on this youtube!
    or you will ruin your keyboard which will be very expensive to fix!