Oxfam’s Sisters on the Planet Climate Leaders Summit LiveStream

"Oxfam’s Sisters on the Planet Climate Leaders Summit LiveStream"

Starts at 1:45 ET (click here).  Here’s some background “about the Sisters“:

Because women make up a majority of those living below the poverty line, they are most likely to bear the heaviest burdens from the effects of climate change.

Women in poor communities and countries are particularly vulnerable: they often depend on rainfall (instead of irrigation) to water their crops; they are typically responsible for providing their household’s water, food, and fuel supply; and they are less likely to have the education, opportunities, and resources they need to adapt to the impacts of climate change. In addition, women’s traditional role as caretakers means they have little time for and little access to community discussions, so their perspectives and needs are often not heard.

At the same time, many women in both rich and poor countries are powerful in their roles as consumers and citizens. Many are aware of the importance of protecting the environment for future generations. And when women create networks and organizations, they can be a powerful force for social and political change.

Oxfam’s Sisters on the Planet initiative seeks to harness the power of women, both in the US and abroad, to fight back against climate change. We’re calling on our leaders to go beyond cutting greenhouse gas emissions by providing financial assistance so that the most vulnerable communities can adapt. Learn more about our campaign.

Watch the videos

Meet some of the Sisters and learn how they’re leading the fight against climate change in their communities.

8 Responses to Oxfam’s Sisters on the Planet Climate Leaders Summit LiveStream

1. paulm says:

The voice of women are whats missing from the campaign. If/when mothers come on board then there will be action.

2. Doug Bostrom says:

To broaden the audience reached by the climate change message, for every Sisters on the Planet organization there should also be something along he lines of a “Proudly Clinging to Our Guns, Religion and Mainstream Science” or “Pry My Radiative Budget Out of My Cold, Dead Fingers” or “Insured by Arrhenius and Revelle” outfit as well.

Informed as I am by past immersion in redneck culture, I’m sorry to report that “Sisters on the Planet” is exactly the sort of language that will send many worthy ex-urban soil dwellers into hoots of laughter and derision.

3. paulm says:

Why have women not taken this threat as seriously as men?

4. Dave says:

Off topic, but I want to get joe the message that I am often redirected from this site to other (undesired) places. I don’t know if this is something on my computer or some invasion of the site. Here is the last place I was “redirected.”

Thanks for the great site, I am an avid reader.

5. Anonymous says:

paul m; ‘Why have women not taken this threat as seriously as men?’

We have. But lacking the mansplain gene, we have just got on with doing what we can to alter our own lives, rather than spouting on about it on blogs. And we are not all ‘mothers’ – some of us took the potential ecological footprint of offspring seriously. Oh, and have you heard of Rachel Carson? Donella Meadows? Jane Goodal? All ridiculed by the male scientific community. All decades ahead of the curve.

That’s speaking as a western woman; many of my sisters dont have the opportunity to speak up, but even in the areas of severest oppression women have been taking ecological threat seriously and doing something about it, for decades, for example the tree planting projects in northern India.

6. Doug Bostrom says:

Dave says: March 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Confirming your experience with being redirected from Climate Progress to strange places; same thing happens to me. I thought perhaps I was accidentally clicking links but no, definitely not. Appears to occur when sweeping my mouse across the page which suggest something wrong with the annoying hot spots proliferating on web pages these days.

7. Gerda says:

The ‘anonymous’ up there was me.
    On a lighter note,
    Happy International Women’s day to all!

Oh, and o.t., the redirect thing is probably a bug in your browser.

8. Gerda says:

Globally, women are more vulnerable to the impacts of climate change due to different and unequal social roles and status.

Women contribute less to climate change, are impacted more by it, and have less say in decisions about the problem.

If anyone is really interested (I guess not, judging by the relative keen interest in computer glitches), there is much more on this in the new report to the U.K. House of Commons;
    Gender and the Climate Change Agenda, by the Women’s Environmental Network (WEN)