"Monday webcast: John Podesta and I chat about my book, “Straight Up” and all things climate and energy"

Cover image of Joe Romm's book, Straight Up: America's Fiercest Climate Blogger Takes on the Status Quo Media, Politicians, and Clean Energy SolutionsOn Monday, April 19, from 12:00pm – 1:00pm, the Center for American Progress Action Fund will host the launch of my new book, Straight Up: America’s Fiercest Climate Blogger Takes on the Status Quo Media, Politicians, and Clean Energy Solutions.

Everyone can watch the webcast here.  Details below:

As we approach the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, the scientific realities about the warming of our world are becoming increasingly dire, an epic legislative battle looms in the Senate over whether the United States will be part of the solution or perpetuate the problem, and the mainstream media””hemorrhaging qualified science and environmental reporters””is paralyzed and unable to effectively inform a public that increasing seeks out information from online sources and the ever-expanding blogosphere.

Amid this backdrop, please join Dr. Joseph Romm in conversation with Center for American Progress Action Fund President and CEO John Podesta as they take on the science, the politics, the solutions, and the media.

Featured Author:
Joseph Romm, author, Straight Up; Senior Fellow, Center for American Progress Action Fund

Moderated by:
John Podesta, President and Chief Executive Officer, Center for American Progress Action Fund

The event is already SRO, so there’s only room for journalists, who can Click here to RSVP for this event.

6 Responses to Monday webcast: John Podesta and I chat about my book, “Straight Up” and all things climate and energy

1. Jeff Huggins says:

Congrats on this, Joe. I’m sure it will go well.

As it turns out, I’ll be in the Washington DC area on that day and also through the week, including Earth Day. If it’s possible somehow schedule-wise, I’d love to briefly meet you, congratulate you, buy a book, and get it signed? Will you be in the Washington area next week and on Earth Day itself? If so, are you going to an event? Would you be available to say “hi” at some point?

Cheers and Be Well,

Jeff

2. Chris says:

I can’t find it for Kindle or Apple. Is Straight UP available as an e-book?

3. catman306 says:

Has it really been 40 years since the first Earth Day? I remember that Ralph Nader spoke to a huge crowd at the SUNY Buffalo that afternoon. He had spoke earlier that day at Stonybrook, I think. I surely don’t remember the specific points he touched on, but his message was well received: we have to take care of the Earth because the Earth takes care of us.

Joe Romm: you’re doing a great and wonderful job trying to get the real climate change message out against a tsunami of misinformation, disinformation, big money’s bad information and those who are just plain lying. We’re all doing our part to break the mainstream media’s logjam that’s stopping mostly just English Speakers from knowing the truth about the danger’s of global warming and climate change. Thanks!

4. climate undergrad says:

If you haven’t bought or read Straight Up, please do so immediately. Joe Romm has an amazing ability to stay fact-driven and optimistic even as the anti-science ideologues become even more entrenched. It is this passionate science-based activism (and similar efforts by so many others) that may preserve a livable climate for our children and grandchildren.

My favorite aspect of the book is Romm’s dedication to realism and honesty. Romm states, “Affection for the planet is unrequited. We need to focus on saving ourselves.” By separating himself and climate-change from traditional environmentalism, Romm is able to focus on the true challenge: preserving a livable climate for humans. Combined with the “why I blog” section of the book, Romm makes it clear that he and many other Climate-change activists are not driven by an environmental or liberal idealism, but rather the rational and science-based understanding of the consequences of business-as-usual (i.e. worst-case-scenario.) We can only hope this kind of inspection of both the science and the solutions will become more pervasive, and finally transform the undeserved perception of “alarmism.”

As a one–time subscriber to the “man-bear-pig” portrayal of Al Gore and climate-science, (granted I was 17) I have a climate-science professor and Joe Romm to thank for a more enlightened worldview. It seems obvious now, at least to me, that pursuing fame, fortune, and the like are meaningless endeavors without a livable climate to enjoy them in. While I don’t ask others to match my dedication, I do ask them to see how a price on carbon is a conservative, free-market solution to an imminent problem, and to seriously question leaders who tell them otherwise.

“Thank you for emitting.” –M. Morano

[JR: Wow! Thanks.]

5. PeterW says:

You know I read Morano’s post and I got to say I’m sick of this type of slagging of environmentalists. If people had listened to them 40 years ago we wouldn’t be in this mess. Sure they have made mistakes, but who hasn’t. I would take their mistakes any day compare to what the rest of society has done.

Morano maybe you shouldn’t generalize so much.

6. Roger says:

Congratulations on the official launch of your new book, Joe!

Like Jeff, I’ll be in Washington for a number of Earth Day events between the 22nd and the 25th, and would love to buy a signed copy of “Straight Up” at some point, if possible.

There will be a bunch of us CP fans at the Citizens’ Climate Congress taking place in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue at 1:00 PM on the 22nd, including Jeff, Gail, Steve, Mossy, Tom, and me, to name just a few. (Leif and others have promised to be there in spirit.)

Is there any chance that you can come, bring some books, and say a few words?

We’ve also invited Dr. Hansen and other dignitaries to speak, and are still awaiting final confirmation from them.

Hope you can make it!

Warm regards,

Roger

P.S. More information on the Climate Congress available at http://www.gwenet.org