By Climate Guest Contributor

"Limbaugh sarcastically admits Don Blankenship is “for big profit at the expense of the working man”"

Last week, Rush Limbaugh responded to the West Virginia mining disaster by attacking “the left.” Limbaugh was especially incensed that “propagandists” linked the disaster to “tea parties, global warming, and capitalism.”

Limbaugh rallied to the defense of killer coal baron Don Blankenship, the CEO of Massey Energy, who promotes his radical philosophy of coal profits above all else on the board of the U.S. Chamber of CommerceIn this Wonk Room’s repost, Brad Johnson has the story and the audio clips:

At Crooks and Liars, they’re the ones that are putting out the notion that this guy Blankenship “” by the way he’s committed another crime, too “” he’s on the board of directors of the Chamber of Commerce. Yeah, that’s reported as though that’s a strike against him. Oh, yeah, he’s one of those guys, Chamber of Commerce guys. That means he’s for big profit at the expense of the working man.

Listen here:

Blankenship has, in fact, repeatedly admitted that he is “for big profit at the expense of the working man.” In 1984, he described how he works to “sell coal cheaper to drive union coal out of business.” He continued that “unions, communities, people, everybody’s going to have to learn” that capitalism is “survival of the most productive.” In 2005, he told his workers to “ignore” requests by safety inspectors “to do anything other than run coal” because “the coal pays the bills.”

Limbaugh also questioned why people are blaming Republicans who “fought new regulations” instead of the “Obama regime”:

Now, what the hell here? We’re going to blame Republicans for this? It was Bush’s fault at the Sago mine. Now we’re gonna blame this guy for contributing to Republicans because I guess Republicans fought new regulations? And now the Obama regime is angry? Has the Obama regime not been in office for over a year, have they not had their own labor board people in there? I’ll tell you, I don’t have a word to describe my disgust for these people. Every damn thing that happens gets politicized. I tell you what, folks, they are purposely dividing this country to create the chaos and the unrest that exists.

Listen here:

The Obama administration has, in fact, significantly stepped up enforcement of mine safety, even though Obama’s labor board nominees were filibustered by Republicans, and only recess appointed on April 1, 2010. Joe Main, Obama’s pick to run the Mine Health and Safety Administration, was confirmed by the Senate after a three-and-a-half month delay. Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis’s nomination was blocked by Republicans for over a month. Coal mining companies have been appealing twice as many of the citations “” especially the major ones. Under current law, unsafe mines can’t be shut down while the violations are being appealed.

(HT Dave Wiegel)

Tags:

‹ Earth Day Recommendations for President Obama

Brown Dog Democrats Call For Green Economy Bill To Rebuild American Manufacturing ›

15 Responses to Limbaugh sarcastically admits Don Blankenship is “for big profit at the expense of the working man”

1. Andrew Frenette says:

I would expect to hear about these sorts of things coming from a 3rd World nation, not from America. My mind is staggered by the lunacy, the sheer stupidity, of the Republicans, the Tea Baggers, Limbaugh, Beck, and many others. They’re scary and they’re succeeding in making the U.S. a scary place.

I don’t have the right to complain, exactly, since I’m not an American, I’m located slightly north of there, but I watch the U.S. with great interest because a lot of what happens there affects us up here.

The fact that Don Blankenship is “for big profit at the expense of the working man” is deplorable, whether Limbaugh was being sarcastic or not. No one’s life is worth a dollar value. It’s medieval, antiquated thinking and has no place in the 21st Century. Blankenship is guilty of mass murder. It’s that simple. He shouldn’t be allowed to roam freely about. I’m sure if he’s arrested he’ll become a Tea Party, right-wing poster boy and martyr for all that’s wrong with left-wing. What he is, really, is the poster boy for all that’s wrong in America, left and right.

2. mike roddy says:

I agree with you Andrew, #1, but we need you to focus your energy on shutting down the Alberta tar sands, and reigning in the subsidized forest rapers that have so much power up north. Canada is too polite to have a Limbaugh, but there is certainly plenty of damage being done.

3. Andrew Frenette says:

I think I’ll clarify something I missed before I submitted: “I would expect to hear about these things from a 3rd World nation” doesn’t mean I think it’s any more acceptable there than in America.

A human life simply is not worth money or a dollar value or profit anywhere in world. The U.S. should be world leaders in this area, THE role model, for every other nation on Earth.

Blankenship’s actions, and Limbaugh’s near endorsement of those actions, sends the wrong message to the rest of the world: “If it’s okay in America, then slavery is okay here, too.”

4. Andrew Frenette says:

@mike roddy
    I fully agree with shutting down the tar sands and reigning in the forest rapers. We certainly aren’t without our issues and feudal thinking up here (and believe me, there’s more than just those two, but they’re the #1 and #2 culprits).

I’ve seen first hand the destruction our environment near the Alberta tar sands. Most of Ft. MacMurray is a wasteland (both the extraction operations and the city which is rife with drug abuse and many social ills). I’ve seen what’s left of Alberta forests and the meager efforts at reforestation. Our forests and trees look great from the highway, but take a drive off road in places like Rocky Mountain House and Whitecourt and Grande Prairie and take a good look around. There’s little left.

It’s sad and pathetic. These two nations, Canada and the U.S., should be leading the way in rescuing the environment and salvaging the climate. Instead, we’re leading the way toward larger profits.

5. Andrew Frenette says:

I am rabid environmentalist. I am a vegetarian. I prefer to look at fish underwater than on my plate and I’m planning to go live on my sail boat as soon as I can. I’m not too popular at work which is located here in the heart of this Great Hunter’s Land of Alberta where we slaughter cows, pigs, deer, and elk (and frequently call it “sport”).

I’ve probably said more than my fair piece here but I’m just in that kind of mood this morning.

6. Lewis W. says:

Recently at work I was called upon to prepare some materials for a safety meeting. The materials were photos of a gruesome accident in the workplace and I still get a knot in my gut thinking of them.

Seems to me that Mr. Limbaugh needs a course in mine and plant safety and a trip down the hole. Mr. Limbaugh needs sent somewhere dirty and dangerous to earn his family’s bread and healthcare.

Doesn’t seem to me he has any concept of a working man’s expenses.

I respectfully point out that it is a man’s expense. 5071 fatalities occurred in the workplace in 2008. 93% of them were to men.

7. fj2 says:

The battle against the environmental crisis is a fight against our own negative naiveté, the dumb limitations we set for ourselves, our self-destructive tendencies and actions . . .

Nature gives us everything and as we’ve created peculiar visions of machine nirvanas which only humans make, we babble on about so much bizarre stuff in some strange dialectic as if we require dark forcing to compel us forward to great advancement.

8. mike roddy says:

Slightly OT, but logging is actually the most dangerous occupation in the country, at 115 deaths per 100,000 workers, more than quadruple that of coal mining. Injuries are far higher, as lumber towns are full of men missing arms and legs.

The History Channel tries to make logging macho and romantic. There are rumors that the timber industry funds shows like Ax Men, to get the public inured to gruesome clearcuts- which formerly sequestered major amounts of carbon.

Timber and coal companies are run by bean counters (Blankenship is a former accountant), and they don’t give a damn about any human or environmental cost. That’s the sickness we need to get away from.

9. Leif says:

I feel that the problem of capitalism and by extension corporations is all encompassing and will not be solved until both are charged with humanities long term survivability and earth’s life systems sustainability first and foremost and profits secondary. The very fact that both capitalism and corporations are in this heated battle that is at odds to humanities very existence is testimony to the failure of the status quo.

Whether it is thru enlightenment, law, military coup, Presidential decree, revolution, or what ever, unless humanity can get this C&C entity to embrace humanities sustainability with shared enthusiasm, and soon, I fear all is lost.

Contrary to popular belief, it is not written in stone that profits come first. That is degreed by the rich to perpetuate their status. I say F#*@’ em. History has shown time and again that is the attitude of the rich and powerful. Well what is good for the goose and all that…

HUMANITY FIRST! Status Quo, NO!

10. Bob W says:

It seems Limbaugh, Beck and Hannity are ego tripping by continually pushing the limits of taste, seditious behavior, and the loyalty of their followers to new limits. Their shilling for big business and Wall Street becomes more obvious every week. Beck wants to end Social Security!

Hopefully they are close to crossing the line. Public opinion will galvanize against them, and the Republicans will run like hell.

11. Chris Winter says:

All those who chase “big profits” this way — the Blankenship way — are betting against nature. Sooner or later they always lose, and usually lose big. The Upper Big Branch mine is merely the latest example. How long will it be out of operation? How much profit will be lost during that time? How much will be owed in the way of fines and compensation to the victims? Will insurance rates for all Massey mines go up? And finally, good will has value to a company. How much of that has Blankenship lost through his continued recklessness?

Big downtime, big fines, big loss of good will… all resulting from cutting corners in a heedless grab for “big profits.” Chew on that for a while, Rushbo.

12. catman306 says:

“Capitalism becomes Fascism when people die” (to paraphrase)

I don’t know who to attribute that statement to, but I saw it in a comment somewhere. Perhaps someone has some clues. Sinclair Lewis?

Mussolini said that he governed over Corporatism. He was a member of the Fascist party.

Rush Limbaugh and his megaphone are hired verbal thugs for Corporatism in America. He’s well paid and his employers think he’s doing a journeyman’s job.

13. Leif says:

At this very moment in Africa some women must walk one half day each way to reach drinking water for their family. The retern trip gives them only as much water as they can carry on their head in pots. A simple “Doughnut Hole” rolling container would allow four or five times as much water per trip with less effort. But no, the rich need their money to entertain bimbos and fuel their yachts. A life style that exasperates that African ladies journey. At some point that water trek becomes a day and a half, two days, people die and still we worry about harming the economy so the rich can accumulate yet more money.

When even the hierarchy of the Catholic Church can justify a blind eye to pedophile priests to protect their wealth and status it becomes obvious how far man must mature to purge the Blankenships from society but purge we must. Capitalism and corporations have become so powerful that the life support systems of mother nature are in peril. It is not like humanity can proceed without the help of both, quite the opposite, concerted mitigation effort on all our parts would almost surely bring prosperity to all. How cool is that?

14. Fred Teal says:

Limbaugh says above:

“I’ll tell you, I don’t have a word to describe my disgust for these people. Every damn thing that happens gets politicized. I tell you what, folks, they are purposely dividing this country to create the chaos and the unrest that exists.”

This is ironic beyond belief. What could be a more accurate description of his own behavior?

15. sailrick says:

Interesting statistic from a poll, that I heard on the Tom Hartman show today. 84% of teabaggers think they represent mainstream America.
    Only 18% of Americans think the teabaggers represent their views.