41 Responses to The failed presidency of Barack Obama, Part 1.5
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Tom Toles for thee!
The Pulitzer prize-winner once again shows a cartoon is worth a thousand tweets — plus a bonus Meat Loaf video below:
You’ll never find your gold on a sandy beach
You’ll never drill for oil on a city street.
But you will drill for oil and ruin your sandy beach….
- The failed presidency of Barack Obama, Part 1: Rolling Stone: “Instead of taking the fight to big polluters, President Obama has put global warming on the back burner.”
For people who can’t be bothered with links, I suppose I’m gonna have to repeat this in every one of these posts so as not to be misunderstood by those who aren’t regular readers and didn’t see my June 30 post (“Republicans demagogue against market-oriented climate measures they once supported“).
Most of the blame should go to the anti-science, pro-pollution ideologues. They have spread disinformation and poisoned the debate so that is no longer even recognizable. Who could have guessed just a couple of years ago, that the GOP champion of climate action would now trash a bill considerably weaker than the one he tried to pass twice? (see Rolling Stone on “The Climate Killers: 17 polluters and deniers who are derailing efforts to curb the climate catastrophe.”)
And if you are keeping score at home in the blame game, the media is the second most culpable group for their generally enabling coverage “” see Must-read (again) study: How the press bungles its coverage of climate economics “” “The media’s decision to play the stenographer role helped opponents of climate action stifle progress.” along with And the 2009 “Citizen Kane” award for non-excellence in climate journalism goes to “¦
Those two groups deserve about 90% of the blame (60-30?), I think (assuming that we assume the 60 vote antidemocratic super majority requirement is unchangeable). The other 10% goes to Obama and his team (along with Senate Democrats, scientists, environmentalists, and progressives) “” and let’s not forget the “Think Small” centrists who also helped shrink the political space in the debate (see “Michael Lind of the New America Foundation misinforms on both climate science and clean energy“).
From a historical perspective, though, that apportionment of blame won’t rescue Obama from being perceived by future generations as having a failed presidency. It just means they will probably be far more bitter toward the conservatives who spread pro-pollution, anti-science disinformation and demagogue even the most moderate, business-friendly, market oriented, GOP-originated solutions.