What would make a good climate bumper sticker?

"What would make a good climate bumper sticker?"

Stockbridge Green: The place to get your climate hawk stuff

David Stockbridge Smith is a registered architect who has a green building practice.  He designs bumper stickers on the side that you can buy here.

He and I are looking for a good climate bumpersticker.  Please propose your ideas below — also, vote on and repost the ones you like the best.

Smith will turn the best couple of ideas into actual bumper stickers.

UPDATE:  A compendium to vote on can be found in Comment #69 here.  Here is a mock-up of one of the most popular suggestions:

Smith also has ‘climate hawk’ stickers for your full-efficient car or hybrid or bike or backpack or ….

I asked Smith to tell me about himself.  Turns out he is a direct descendent of Nathaniel Frothingham, “one of 65 on the boat/dock in Boston at the original tea party,” so he feels “a family responsibility towards activism.”

Here’s what he wrote:

I am deeply committed to the effort to return the planet to climate stability.

Stockbridge Green, my start-up company, is an attempt to do “good”, not “less bad”, as an architect. (Ex, If we all figure out how to use 50% less energy, this would be a great accomplishment, but we would still probably loose because of growing consumption around the world) I am involved in the design and construction of small buildings which heat, cool, light, provide clean air and proper humidity themselves, using energy only from on-site sustainable sources; wind, solar and/or geothermal.  These buildings, based on principles of sustainability, have a zero carbon footprint and may produce more energy than they consume. This effort is ongoing, though not quick enough to address the urgent threats poised by global warming.  So, I set about looking for a way to become involved that might be faster acting while I continue this architectural work. The “Step One” concept was my answer.

What drives me is a humanitarian impulse which came to mind when I was young, became clarified when I first read R. Buckminster-Fuller, but I never acted with commitment until I began to understand the implications of global warming in the last 2 years. The impulse was this: I have no right to live in this world pursuing life, liberty and happiness by actions that necessarily limit the ability of others to pursue the same thing. For me, “others” means everybody on the planet. Correcting for limited resources is a matter of science, engineering and overcoming human greed. Sustainability all around.

So if you are looking for climate bumperstickers….

click here.

Or propose your own.  If there are simply too many good ideas, I’ll do a separate post with a runoff.

UPDATE:  I don’t find it problematic that one has a bumper sticker against global warming on one’s car.  Not even counting the fact that there are many high-efficiency cars — and those of us who telecommute hardly use our cars at all — ClimateProgress has never said nor does it believe that people need to go to zero emissions tomorrow.  I will say for the umpteenth time that while personal action is important, it won’t stabilize us at 450 ppm or 35o — or even 550 ppm.  So there is no hypocrisy whatsoever in people who emit greenhouse gases urging collective action in terms of national and international law to reduce GHGs — or in helping to inform the public of the dangers of unrestricted GHGs.

Tags:

176 Responses to What would make a good climate bumper sticker?

1. with the doves says:

good project!

a lot of “liberal” bumper stickers have a slight “tut-tut” tone (to me) that dilutes their effectiveness.

the first one here seems good.

maybe it would be even more effective with a non-serif font and not a green color.

how about “Global warming deniers are paid liars”?

[JR: Well, I differentiate between the relatively few professional liars and the large number of those who have been duped by them. So it’s more like “Don’t be fooled by the Global warming deniers.”]

2. Some ideas:

“Basic human rights are not ‘liberal dogma'”

“Stop cyber-attacks against global warming science”

“Planet Earth is NOT FOR SALE

“2 + 2 = 4, or 2 + 2 = 6? The truth is NOT in the middle”

frank

3. Oh, and how about this one:

“Secret meeting of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!
    Dates: Jan 30–31, 2011
    Place: Rancho Las Palmas Resort, California
    Host: Koch Industries, Inc.”

frank

4. Or a somewhat snappier version:

“Vast Right Wing Conspiracy to meet on Jan 30–31, 2011
    See tinyurl.com/2875ah8″

frank

5. Some more ideas…

“Think for yourself — do your own fact-checking!”

“Without Planet Earth, there is no USA”

“Protecting our environment is not Stalinism”

frank

6. Windsong says:

My favorite is: “Friends don’t let friends deny Global Warming.” I also liked the ones above: “Global Warming deniers are paid liars!” and “Earth not for sale!”

These are some ideas which came to me:
    For a Sticker: “Global Warming Nut: I study it religiously”
    Also, “Not an ostrich about GW; I LOVE kids!”

I also liked the ones: “Consensus is in: 97% of climate scientists say..” and the one:”GW Denial is a high risk game…”

7. Kota says:

Anything positive is fine with me, but what I would REALLY like to see is someone come out with a baseball cap. Maybe forest green with a golden yellow bill. (Symbolism – forest, sunshine, hawk beak) All it would need is the climate hawk emblem embroidered on it somewhere. Or it doesn’t even need that if you want to keep the costs down; as the recognition could be fast, much like the pink ribbons. Bumper stickers are ok, but I would like to actually recognize individually who my instant new friends are, thank them and/or just high-five them!! I would just totally love to see these hats on more and more people wandering my town, my country and my planet.

8. Mike Roddy says:

“Burning coal roasts all of us”

9. Robert says:

“COAL” Leave it in the Ground

Clean Coal Doesn’t Exist

Global Warming Denier’s and Delayer’s Will Drown Too!

10. “Flex Fuel Vehicle – I’m burning your children’s future”

11. K. Nockels says:

CO2 the pollution of choice for the last generation

12. Christopher Yaun says:

Burning Down the House

Climate Changed – Humans Didn’t

13. Colorado Bob says:

There is no Planet “B”

14. Nancy says:

Got Kids?
    Think Global Warming

And a sticker I saw online meant to paste on the rear window of SUVs and other gas guzzlers:

“I’m Changing the Climate….Ask me How”

15. Wyoming says:

A slight mod of Frank’s from #2

2+2=4 Scientist

2+2=5 Fox News

2+2=6 Climate Change Denier

16. Sue in NH says:

“Climate Change… here it comes ready or not!”

17. Scott says:

How about “If you don’t believe in climate change, then why do you think the Moon is cold?”

18. Windsong says:

I loved all of the above remarks! So funny! But my favorite is #11– “CO2– the pollution of choice for the last generation.”

19. John McCormick says:

“FOX News is lying to YOU!”

John McCormick

20. Mike says:

I’ll go with the one I posted before.

Tax Carbon, Not Income!

It is about solving the problem. We won the science debate. We – and I include myself big time here – waste a lot of time arguing with loons. Most people are just afraid the solution will be very expensive so they go into denial. Realizing the problem is solvable is more important psychologically than learning the details about the science.

Obviously how one puts a price on GHG emissions and how the income tax code is changed won’t fit on a bumper sticker. Raising the price of GHG is regressive so the income tax would need to be high progressive with many on the lower income end getting money back. Or, this could be done in a revenue neutral program way as an economist suggested in another thread on C.P. But the bumper sticker slogan needs to be short and easy to remember. It should be a conversation starter. This slogan, “tax carbon not income,” is so simple even a Tea Party type could get their head around it.

21. Chris says:

“Slow your Coal” (may induce random road-rage related incidents in coal country)

22. I. Snarlalot Theisdaise says:

What the heck, I’ll play. Off the top of my head:

I’m Skeptical about Climate Skeptics

I [heart] Reality
    end denialism

I [heart] Science
    Invest in Clean Energy

AGW
    Greed Kills

Agreeing with Windsong, #11 is pretty good.

23. Windsong says:

Maybe something to point to the fact that the Media are deniers because the fossil fuel industry threatens them/sponsers them. Also essays in the back of magazines are by pseudo scientists who are paid by the fossil fuel industry. This is the most insidious problem, it seems to me: the media has been bought off by the fossil fuel industry. Most people are confused about GW because TV and magazines are purposely twisting the facts.

24. yphilj says:

Ecology precedes Economy

25. BBHY says:

I’ve always liked:

“There is no planet B”

Somebody already makes a t-shirt, so I don’t know if it’s available.

26. Mike says:

Another type of sticker campaign your friend might be interested in is to make “warming labels” that could be stealthy put on gas pumps. It is the kind of thing high school and college students could get into. The stickers could be modeled on the warning labels on cigarette packages.

“Warning: Scientists have determined that the excessive use of fossil fuels is altering Earth’s climate and oceans. Increases in droughts, heat waves, severe storms and coral reef bleaching have already been observed. Around the world glaciers are melting and sea levels are rising. Continued high level green house gas emissions threaten agriculture, fishing yields, human health and safety, as well as wild life from polar bears to plankton.”

Too much for a bumper sticker but imagine it as a 3×5 sticker on a gas pump. You could even put a web URL on them for more information.

27. Mike says:

On my (#26) post. I checked the bumper sticker page. They cost $4.50 each. For my warming label idea to work, they would need to be much cheaper and sold in bulk. In fact David Smith should consider offering bulk rates on all his stickers. Student environmental groups could resell them to rise money.

28. tst says:

A red state bumper sticker:

Deny This:
    God Shall “Destroy Those Who Destroy The Earth” – Revelation 11:18

29. I like “Tax Carbon, Not Income”, “There is no Planet ‘B'”, “Flex Fuel Vehicle — I’m burning your children’s future”, and “Burning coal roasts all of us”. :)

Yet more ideas…

“Climate change is not just about polar bears”

“Global warming was NOT invented by Al Gore — see http://www.aip.org/history/climate/

“Why do global warming denialists keep telling lies about Al Gore?”

“Bring facts and logic back into politics”

“Is global warming real? See denialdepot.blogspot.com” (tee-hee)

frank

30. Anne van der Bom says:

Anti global warming stickers on a car seems like an oxymoron to me.

Most suggestions here are too lacking in humor or sarcasm to be effective.

31. And a vote for each of I. Snarlalot Theisdaise’s suggestions.

Wyoming: Or should 2 + 2 = 5 be ascribed to the typical mainstream media journalist? That’ll leave 2 + 2 = 6 in the rightful ownership of Fox News (and the climate inactivist movement). By the way, I like that idea too. :)

frank

32. Mike says:

Here are some Fox News ones. These are tangential to the main topic.

Here an obvious one: [Faux News]

[Climate change is not happening and 2+2=5; I learned these from Fox News]

[I heart Fox News b/c it is funnier than Comedy Central.]

[Fox News, now that’s entertainment!]

[If everyone watched Fox News, Sarah Palin would be President.]

And finally this is just a quote I like:

“When every radio station is blaring that a man without knowledge or education is better than one who has studied, it takes courage to ask: better for whom?” — Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956), Writing the Truth: Five Difficulties

Anyone interested in the battle for ideas should read Brecht’s essay. It can be found as an appendix to his play “Galileo”. It is about how to get the truth out in Nazi Germany.

33. Anne B Butterfield says:

Bumper sticker:

IF YOU THINK CO2 IS SO BENIGN, THEN
    WEAR A PLASTIC BAG OVER YOUR HEAD.

34. Anne B Butterfield says:

THIS ONE….

IF YOU THINK CO2 IS SO BENIGN, THEN
    WEAR A PLASTIC BAG OVER YOUR HEAD.

is crafted in honor of Michele Bachmann.

35. rossabbey says:

For hybrids & electric-drivetrain vehicles:

“This Machine Kills Petro-Fascists”

For lefties, this is a play on Woddy Gutherie’s “This Machine Kills Fascists” (often written on on his guitar). For righties, it has a more obvious resonance. So it’s perfect for Climate Hawks.

36. Bumper Sticker:
    “We can’t fix climate change if we are not causing it. Pray we are.”
    Senator Grant Mitchell, Senate of Canada

37. KAP says:

A bumper sticker I’d like to see:

$20 TRILLION per year …
    the cost of Doing Nothing about global warming

38. daniel smith says:

Thank you, Anne, for noticing (on the 30th post, no less!) that there is something deeply, tragically ironic about global warming bumper stickers. I would suggest that if anyone feels the need to be moralistic and feel superior to all the other carbon-spewing shmucks in the world, they figure out a catchy slogan to put on a banner that they can display while handcuffing themselves to a powerplant or a political power center (white house, capital, statehouse, etc.), or maybe if you’re really sneaky and quick, directly to the wrist of your favorite politician. If bumper stickers were ever going to do anything (questionable, but maybe possible), that time is long past. This strikes me as just another exercise in greeny ego-stroking.

39. Tax Global Warming http://taxglobalwarming.org/

AGW = Carbon Karma

Chill out or die.

40. James says:

Nothing. Bumper stickers don’t influence anyone and are a waste of resources to produce. Honestly, how many times in your life have you seen a bumper sticker and thought “you know, maybe I will try whirled peas?”

41. Prokaryotes says:

Humans are too Stupid to prevent Climate Change?

42. Leif says:

Our Past is the Enemy of Our Future..

Fear Corporate Greed

43. “So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish” – Douglas Adams

44. KAP says:

Or maybe better:

“$20 TRILLION per year …
    the cost Tomorrow of Doing Nothing about global warming Today”

45. “Climate change is for those who can’t handle denial”

46. Bob V says:

In Denial – Earth’s Anthropocene Epoch Arrives

47. This car delivers
    One lb CO2 / mile

48. John McManus says:

How about a hockey stick graph. I have never had a bumper sticker but I’d use one of those.

49. libby says:

Mother Nature always has the last word.

50. Rabid Doomsayer says:

“Tax carbon not income” gets my vote

51. Horatio Algeranon says:

“The climate just ain’t what it used to be”

52. Wallace says:

Reality: Harsh but Fair.

53. Mike says:

@James #40.

No one thing makes a big difference. But little differences add up. Bumper stickers, buttons and t-shirts are small things. But these can build a climate for changing public awareness. Public lectures or teach-ins, letter writings campaigns and calling talk shows are a bigger part. Getting your community group to meet with your congressional representative or getting your city council to pass a sustainability measure are bigger steps. The baby steps add up. And before you know it, we are on the march.

Hang in there.

54. Anne van der Bom, James:

I see bumper stickers as a cheap and quick way to get the message out. If you ask me, a full-blown TV ad complete with animation and music that drives everyone nuts will be a whole lot more effective if done right, but I don’t think Joe Romm or his friend personally have the resources to do this (the CAP probably does, but they probably have their own considerations).

So, whatever.

frank

55. catman306 says:

Think Global Warming. Act Locally.

56. Mike says:

@Belvedere #51,

A humorous retort, so don’t take this personally – we’re just having fun!

“Friends let friends have their own opinion about global warming and arithmetic; twice two makes five if I want it to.”

“My kids thrive better in a warmer climate. Too bad they don’t have any food because that 60 year drought.”

“Climate keeps changing, with or without humans. So who cares if we destroy ourselves? The Sun will blow up some day anyway.”

“I am not a climate change denier, I’m just way smarter then the world’s top scientists! Trust me, I watch Fox News.”

57. Stroller says:

libby says:
    December 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm
    Mother Nature always has the last word.

Excellent! Never a truer word spoken.

58. Stroller says:

Act on Global Warming
    Impound my car!

59. Using bumper stickers to pierce through the veil of nonsense put up by the mainstream media:

“Don’t get your global warming ‘facts’ from the media! http://www.realclimate.org — science direct from scientists”

frank

60. Stroller says:

Global Warming Hypocrites
    Drive me Round the Bend!

61. Help control global warming. Drive less.

62. Windsong says:

GW Deniers paid top $$! Check out Exxon Mobile’s Payroll Website!

(But this may encourage them!):(

63. ffdjm says:

“Support global warming. Make Fairbanks a sea port”

64. Mulga Mumblebrain says:

Climate Change -Write an Apology Addressed to your Grandchildren.

65. Anna Haynes says:

Folks, to make it easier to extract & compile further suggestions, can you put them in quotes please, ideally just 1 per line?
    (to make them easily scrapable)

I’ll compile & quote the existing suggestions in a few minutes.

New ones:
    “Everyone with a child has a stake in the future”

Personal action:
    “I’d rather be hypermiling”
    “I’d rather be taking the train”
    “I’d rather be taking BART”
    “I’d rather be pimping my car with RelayRides” (ok, maybe that one could stand to be reworded…)

And a “why this is needed” example: I just spent a weekend with family members who had zero-to-negative interest in talking about climate change, making me yearn for a bumpersticker or maybe a sweatshirt bearing the Meinshausen graph (e.g. here (though there’s a more-clearly-labeled one, for public consumption)) to impart some knowledge – and as a conversation starter.

66. Schlonz says:

How about
    “Global Warming Is Real.
    Even In Places where we don’t measure it.”

67. Tom Staley says:

(1) NO TO OIL-COAL INDUSTRY SUICIDE PACT

(2) SCIENCE, NOT OIL-COAL INDUSTRY DISINFORMATION

(3) YES TO SCIENCE

(4) GOP – OIL-COAL INDUSTRY LOBBY – CATASTROPHE

from above, I like: (5) TAX CARBON, NOT INCOME
    (6) THERE IS NO PLANET B

Tom Staley

68. Anna Haynes says:

Compilation: The bumperstickers suggested in comments 1-66 (with a couple of additions) are:

* “$20 TRILLION per year – the cost Tomorrow of Doing Nothing about global warming Today”
    * “$20 TRILLION per year – the cost of Doing Nothing about global warming”
    * “‘COAL’ – Leave it in the Ground”
    * “‘We can’t fix climate change if we are not causing it. Pray we are.’ – Senator Grant Mitchell, Senate of Canada”
    * “‘When every radio station is blaring that a man without knowledge or education is better than one who has studied, it takes courage to ask: better for whom?’ – Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956), Writing the Truth: Five Difficulties”;
    * “(hockey stick graph)”
    * “2 + 2 = 4, or 2 + 2 = 6? The truth is NOT in the middle”
    * “2+2=4 Scientist; 2+2=5 Fox News; 2+2=0 Climate Change Denier”
    * “2+2=4 Scientist; 2+2=5 Fox News; 2+2=6 Climate Change Denier”
    * “34”
    * “AGW = Carbon Karma”
    * “Act on Global Warming – Impound my car!”
    * “Basic human rights are not ‘liberal dogma’”
    * “Bring facts and logic back into politics”
    * “Burning Down the House”
    * “Burning coal roasts all of us”
    * “CO2 the pollution of choice for the last generation”
    * “Chill out or die”
    * “Climate Change – Write an Apology Addressed to your Grandchildren”
    * “Climate Change – here it comes ready or not!”
    * “Climate Changed – Humans Didn’t”
    * “Climate action that matters: 1. Screw in a new lightbulb. 2. Screw in a new Senator”
    * “Climate change is for those who can’t handle denial”
    * “Climate change is not happening and 2+2=5; I learned these from Fox News”
    * “Climate change is not just about polar bears”
    * “Climate keeps changing, with or without humans. So who cares if we destroy ourselves? The Sun will blow up some day anyway”
    * “Deny This – God Shall : ‘Destroy Those Who Destroy The Earth’ -Revelation 11:18″
    * “Don’t be fooled by the Global warming deniers”
    * “Don’t get your global warming ‘facts’ from the media! RealClimate.org – science direct from scientists”
    * “Ecology precedes Economy”
    * “Everyone with a child has a stake in the future”
    * “FOX News is lying to YOU!”
    * “Fear Corporate Greed”
    * “Flex Fuel Vehicle – I’m burning your children’s future”
    * “Fox News, now that’s entertainment!”
    * “Friends let friends have their own opinion about global warming and arithmetic; twice two makes five if I want it to”
    * “GW Deniers paid top $$! Check out Exxon Mobil’s Payroll Website!”
    * “Global Warming Denier’s and Delayer’s Will Drown Too!”
    * “Global Warming Hypocrites Drive me Round the Bend!”
    * “Global warming causes climate chaos: floods – droughts – balmy Arctic – frigid Europe”
    * “Global warming was NOT invented by Al Gore – see http://www.aip.org/history/climate/
    * “Got Kids? Think Global Warming”
    * “Help control global warming. Drive less”
    * “Humans are too Stupid to prevent Climate Change?”
    * “I ‘heart’ Reality – end denialism”
    * “I ‘heart’ Science – Invest in Clean Energy”;”
    * “I am not a climate change denier, I’m just way smarter then the world’s top scientists! Trust me, I watch Fox News”
    * “I heart Fox News b/c it is funnier than Comedy Central”
    * “If everyone watched Fox News, Sarah Palin would be President”
    * “If you think CO2 is so benign, then wear a plastic bag over your head”
    * “In Denial – Earth’s Anthropocene Epoch Arrives”
    * “Is global warming real? See denialdepot.blogspot.com”; (tee-hee)
    * “I’d rather be hypermiling”
    * “I’d rather be pimping my car with RelayRides”
    * “I’d rather be taking BART”
    * “I’d rather be taking the train”
    * “I’m Changing the Climate – .Ask me How”
    * “I’m Skeptical about Climate Skeptics”
    * “Mother Nature always has the last word”
    * “My kids thrive better in a warmer climate. Too bad they don’t have any food because that 60 year drought”
    * “Our Past is the Enemy of Our Future.”
    * “Planet Earth is NOT FOR SALE”
    * “Protecting our environment is not Stalinism”
    * “Reality: Harsh but Fair”
    * “Secret meeting of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!
    * “Slow your Coal”; (may induce random road-rage related incidents in coal country)
    * “So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish”; – Douglas Adams
    * “Stop cyber-attacks against global warming science”
    * “Support global warming. Make Fairbanks a sea port”
    * “Tax Carbon, Not Income!”
    * “Tax Global Warming http://taxglobalwarming.org/
    * “Tax carbon not income”
    * “The climate just ain’t what it used to be”
    * “There is no Planet ‘B'”
    * “Think Global Warming. Act Locally”
    * “Think for yourself – do your own fact-checking!”
    * “This Machine Kills Petro-Fascists”
    * “This car delivers One lb CO2 / mile”
    * “Vast Right Wing Conspiracy to meet on Jan 30-31, 2011
    * “Warning: Scientists have determined that the excessive use of fossil fuels is altering Earth’s climate and oceans. Increases in droughts, heat waves, severe storms and coral reef bleaching have already been observed. Around the world glaciers are melting and sea levels are rising. Continued high level green house gas emissions threaten agriculture, fishing yields, human health and safety, as well as wild life from polar bears to plankton”
    * “We must fight climate change – our grandkids will be choosing our nursing home”
    * “Why do global warming denialists keep telling lies about Al Gore?”
    * “Without Planet Earth, there is no USA”

69. Alteredstory says:

I’d like to see one that takes advantage of the “Green Dragon” thing.

It’s a cool moniker with so much potential, and I’d love to see the fundies regret they ever came up with it.

70. Eli Rabett says:

Deny climate change and your kids will pay the procrastination penalties

A bit wordy, but. . .

71. LP says:

I have to agree the idea of global warming bumper stickers is quite the oxymoron. But if you’re at least driving a fuel-efficient vehicle then I suggest something like:

“Conservative On Fuel, Not Climate Change Policy”

Also if you’re driving an HEV, how ’bout this:

“I brake for stopping climate change.” <– get it, because…regenerative braking…aaaaah…hiiiyo! :)

72. Anna Haynes says:

Some more, mostly gleaned/modified from the ClimateSight quote collection (link); which generally don’t approach bumper-sticker pithiness though.

* “A planet will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no planet”
    * “Democracy doesn’t work if people don’t know what is going on”
    * “Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts”
    * “If we want things to stay as they are, everything must change!”
    * “Modern media’s greatest failure: it can’t tell experts from cranks”
    * “Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little”
    * “Reality: when you stop believing in it, it doesn’t go away”
    * “Science: a method for separating ideas that work from ideas that don’t”
    * “The climate system is an angry beast, and we are poking it with sticks”
    * “We can evade reality, but not the consequences of evading reality”

73. Anna Haynes says:

“We love our grandchildren; let’s not cook them”

74. David Smith says:

Alteredstorey @ #70 – “We are Green Dragon. Hear us roar”.

Keep the ideas coming. This is exciting.

75. Green Hornet says:

Here are a couple of bumper stickers ideas for consideration. Both need graphics to work.

The first could use the NOAA temp projection for 2081-2099 (in degrees F) from the 2009 Draft Report: Global Climate Change Impacts in U.S.

The second could use a picture of the Navajo coal-fired plant in AZ with all its smoke stacks belching emissions into the atmosphere.

Coming Soon To Your Community:
    GLOBAL WARMING – ITS REAL!

TAX CARBON EMISSIONS:
    Good For America,
    Good For Your Grandchildren.

76. adelady says:

For me – I like “Tax Carbon Not Income”
    because it indicates I’m willing to pay the price of driving my car (and any other emitting activities).

And “I’d rather take the train”
    also shows that communal action is necessary for me and my individual car to get off the road more.

“Reality: Harsh But Fair” is pretty good too.

Just a grammar / advertising note. You can improve, and shorten, a few of these by using the simple active form of words rather than the long-winded passive or continuous.

77. Prokaryotes says:

LP said “Also if you’re driving an HEV, how ’bout this”

The “LOL OIL” Tesla Vanity License Plate http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/07/tesla-electric-car-lol-oil-vanity-license-plate.php

78. Dennis says:

If you can read this, my bike is broke.

79. Some European says:

I agree that global warming messages don’t belong on cars, not even on hybrids. It’s only going to make deniers more stubborn.

If I had an appartment in the center of a big city, I’d hang out a big yellow banner saying “ORGANIZED CLIMATE DENIAL = CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY”.

I often wear a t-shirt on top of my other clothes with the text
    PLEASE HELP ME
    STOP CLIMATE CHANGE
    and in between are the 2009 MIT study’s (report 169) no-policy wheel of fortune and the New Scientist’s 4-degree world map.

If I’d have another one printed, it might read:
    [I’M] DESPERATE ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE

In Germany, Holland and Belgium this might work:
    “Klimawandel [dutch: klimaatverandering]
    Wir haben es nicht gewußt”

(“We didn’t know…” this refers to the excuse that was oft repeated to justify the people’s compliance with the horrors of the holocaust. It’s also directly linked to ‘never again’, as in ‘never again’ will we ignore horrible crimes because of evil propaganda.)

I also used the phrase ‘wir haben es nicht gewußt’ for a ferocious piano improvisation during a climate concert that me and my girlfriend gave with video and performance back in May.

Sometimes, when I take the train, I walk through it holding a paper or a cardboard sign that says
    “Free speed course climate science – Any doubts? I’ll be glad to help!”
    I get very positive reactions. You could put that on a t-shirt but it implies you’re in the mood for conversation.

More bumper stickers ideas
    How about:

Greenhouse Effect was discovered in 1824
    Just how retarded are you?
    or Just when are you going to understand?

EXXON/KOCH STOP FUNDING
    CLIMATE (CHANGE) DENIAL

Clean energy technologies:
    China is eating our lunch

Warning: climate collapse ahead

the Titanic is unsinkable
    and climate change is just fine

the earth is flat and
    arctic ice is not shrinking

smoking is healthy
    and so is climate change

Keep fossil fuels
    in the ground

Coals pollution kills
    1,000,000 per year

CLIMATE GENERACIDE

CLIMATE VICTIM

6th mass extinction
    has already begun

A graph of world population saying ‘7 fat years’ and ‘You are Here’.

in French:
    Climat: après nous le déluge?

I can think of a lots more but I don’t want to own the thread…
    I promise I’ll keep quiet until I think of a really, really good one.

80. Rabid Doomsayer says:

Rev 11:18
    Might work in the bible belt. They know their bible and so might quietly look it up.

81. Some European says:

Whoops! I did mean to add this link, though…
    It has a video of my performance of ‘wir haben es nicht gewußt’.

82. Unchecked Global Warming = Russian Roulette with your Grandchildren

Stop new coal plants
    (and close old ones too!)

No more IMF loans for fossil fuels!

83. American_Idle says:

Many great quotable quotes. For a bumper sticker, “There is no Planet B” is good because 1) fewer characters => bigger font, and 2) clear short message => quickly read and understood.

84. Bill Maddox says:

How bout AGW / WAF . Not particularly reassuring but perhaps realistic if WE don’t do something!

85. petronelle says:

I like “There is no Planet B” and also “Mother Nature Bats Last”.

86. “There is no Planet B” is terrific, and it makes people think a bit.

87. Holly Stick says:

88. Some European says:

This is one of my favorite quotes:

“The greatest threat to the planet is
    the belief that others will save it.”

I don’t know who said it and I’m translating it from Spanish, perhaps retranslating from and to English.
    Anyway, it doesn’t have to be an exact quote.
    It could be made into different related things like:
    “I’m not saving the planet because someone else already is.”
    Go aheas, play with it.

This game is too much fun, I can’t stop…
    “Ice caps don’t have an agenda, they just melt”
    “My garden has room for 3000 climate refugees”
    “When Bangladesh floods, we’ll just send 150 million people to Israel”
    “9 meals from anarchy”
    “If we burn all fossil fuels, Earth will become like Venus”
    “bail out the planet”
    “Earth: too big to fail?”
    “Recycling is good, cycling is better”
    “Flying ‘only’ once a year is like being true 364 days a year.”
    How about the “honk if you’re” format?
    “Honk if you’re worried about climate change”
    “Honk if you think you’ll survive the coming climate catastrophe”

89. Fred Anderson says:

“Climate change is not hot air”

90. paulm says:

“Storms Of Our Grandchildren”

91. paulm says:

“Welcome to Planet Eaarth”

92. Jeffrey Davis says:

Global Warming: The Deniers Will Be Spinning in Our Graves

93. Nancy says:

Perhaps printing yard signs, or wearing buttons and hats with global warming slogans would be better than bumper stickers. I like the idea of unfurling a huge banner out your window if you live in a busy area (#80) but in suburbia, yard signs attract plenty of attention,especially if they’re colorful. And buttons worn on jackets or backpacks can create interest. When I wear my “350.org” button, people ask what it means.

94. with the doves says:

“Climate change denial = crime against humanity”

is good.

95. Chris Winter says:

A few more off the top of my head:

“Cap and Trade: It’s a law we can live with.”
    (Obviously harks back to the era of the 55MPH speed limit, which may or may not help it.)

“Al Gore lost weight, it’s OK to cut CO2 now.”

“CO2 feeds plants — plants like poison ivy.”

“Think CO2 is harmless? Try breathing it.”

“No one is entitled to their own global-warming facts.”

“AGW is just a theory. Got a better one?”

“Think AGW is a hoax? Prove it.”

“Think AGW is a hoax? Publish the proof.”

“Prove AGW is a hoax, win a Nobel Prize.”

“I’d rather be bicycling — and fixing / helping / cutting AGW.”

“CO2 traps heat — It’s the law.”

“Like global warming? Get your own planet.”

96. adelady says:

“Like global warming? Get your own planet.” Good one.

Still wracking my brains for something that encapsulates both problems and solutions. Staying with “Tax Carbon, Not Income” for the moment.

Anything catchy about ocean acidification? I know that’s a terrible thing to say, but ……

97. 350 Now says:

Here’s a few suggestions for bumper stickers or signs:

You do NOT have the right to remain silent on AGW

350 PPM – You can get there from here

350 PPM – Don’t just wish for it – Work for it!

350 PPM: I’m not saying it will be easy. I am saying it will be worth it.

350 PPM: I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.

Global Warming Deniers: Trade in your moral compass for a GPS

Global Warming Deniers: Those who forget the past are condemned to reheat it.

FOX News M. O. : If you can’t convince them, confuse them.

FOX Deja-Nus: The feeling you’ve heard this bull before

Right-Wing Conservative Senators: Jesus also thinks you are assholes.

De Nile Denial – used to be a river in Egypt.

Big Coal: Making a molehill out of a mountain.

Climate Collapse Oxymoron: Hell and high water – from a flood of tears.

Clean Energy Bill: For the want of a nail, the shoe was lost.

From Feast to Famine in 10, 9, 8, 7…

Christian Conservatives: For what will it profit a main if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?
    – Matthew 16:26

In my best Sean Connery voice: I am the GREEN Dragon.

98. Wit's End says:

Kota, #7, here is an alternative, you can see the image here:

Climate Hawk Pin

Here’s the final proof for the Climate Hawk Pin, the idea being that us folks who are aggressive about clean energy can recognize each other – and, wearing it will initiate conversations that might otherwise not transpire. The yellow color in the image will actually be brass. Once I get the pins, I’ll post a photograph that is more accurate.

Hopefully, this will be delivered within the next 3 weeks, and will be available for purchase, $10 including US domestic shipping. When I break even for the minimum order (~150 pins) I’ll order more, perhaps with different designs. Suggestions welcome! Climate Hawk pins are hawt!!!

99. with the doves says:

can’t break the laws of physics

100. Reed Young says:

Global warming deniars are a waste of carbon.

101. Kota says:

Wit’s End #98

That’s cool and I wouldn’t mind putting one on my hat I don’t have. But the idea of the hat is I could easily identify a person that was supporting clean energy from a block away. I could easily be standing right next to someone with a little pin on and never see it.

(They already make a ‘Green Bay” team hat with the green dome and yellow bill – so it’s already been done and should be easy to find without the team logo)

102. Scrooge says:

I have children
    Global warming is personal

103. Windsong says:

#102, I used to live in the mountains in Va. and they were covered with huge pine forests. Ex- Gov. Warner visited them awhile back and almost weeped to discover they were all dead– as far as the eye could see. Extremely upsetting!!!!

Wit’s End, I loved the Cheshire cat! Was thinking of something like: Climate Hawk (no chicken about GW!)

Nancy, #66, I plan to write some of these slogans on backs of envelopes. Esp. this one– Deny this: God shall “destroy those who destroy the Earth”– Rev.11:18

104. Anna Haynes says:

“The earth is heating”, against a backdrop of NASA GISS 1920-2010 relative-temperature data (what’s the term for an infographic like this?) – bumpersticker image (link)

105. Kenneth Larsen says:

Finite Planet + Infinite (Greed + Stupidity)= Mass Extinction

106. Ron Gremban says:

I like: “I’m burning your children’s future”.
    For hybrids, it could be:
    “I’m burning your children’s future more slowly”
    For EVs and PHEVs:
    “Runs partially on renewable energy instead of your children’s future”
    Coupled with renewable electricity purchase:
    EV: “Runs on renewable energy instead of your children’s future”
    PHEV: “Runs largely on renewable energy instead of your children’s future”
    Coupled with solar panels on one’s home:
    EV: “Runs on solar energy instead of your children’s future”
    PHEV: “Runs largely on solar energy instead of your children’s future”

To stick on gasoline (and Diesel) pumps:
    “WARNING: Consuming this product is burning your children’s future”

I also like: “Tax carbon, not income”
    And: “Fear corporate greed”
    Or: “Fear the greed of large, powerful corporations”

107. gallon says:

Deniers happen.

or

Global warming tracks emission of CO2 into the atmosphere.
    So does denier hysteria.

108. Richard Brenne says:

Original (as far as I know) bumper stickers, meant to be spread across an entire rear bumper (or better yet, the entire rear fender of a bike),
    going from extreme left to extreme right:

I BRAKE FOR GLOBAL WARMING DENIERS. . . . . .SOMETIMES

I BRAKE FOR GLOBAL WARMING DENIERS. . . . . .BUT OUR KIDS WON’T

SEQUESTER COAL: LEAVE IT IN THE GROUND

IF YOU LIKE CO2. . . . . .MOVE TO VENUS

MY OTHER CAR. . . . . .IS ALSO A CO2 EMITTING DOOM-MOBILE

LOSE THE WEIGHT THAT KILLS. . . . . .CUT CO2 EMISSIONS

LOSE (CO2) WEIGHT! ASK ME HOW!

IF YOU CAN READ THIS. . . . . .WE’RE BOTH EMITTING CO2

CUT EMISSIONS: RPG MY BMW

YES, YOUR SWIFTBOATING, DENIER THUG CAN BEAT UP MY HONOR STUDENT CLIMATE SCIENTIST – CONGRATS! YOU’VE WON THE DESTRUCTION OF EARTH!

109. Anna Haynes says:

“Watch Fox News – Ignorance is bliss”
    “Fox News – the more you watch, the less you know”

and I very much like Richard’s
    “I brake for global warming deniers – but our kids won’t”

110. Roger says:

Great idea–a fine way to spread awareness and encourage action.

I like this (in bold white letters on a green or black background):

“ENERGY REVOLUTION NOW!” (Plus a tiny: (C) GWEN 2007.)

This is short, to the point, and reasonably clear. More importantly, GWEN’s headquarters are located right in historic old Lexington, Massachusetts, birthplace of the American Revolution, and boyhood home of climate movement hero and author, Bill McKibben.

We are offering this bumper sticker absolutely FREE to the first 500 US Climate Progress readers who request one. Simply send a stamped, self-addressed envelope, stating your choice of color (green or black, with black in extremely limited quantities) to:

Global Warming Education Network
    Eight North Brook Park
    175 Bedford Street
    Lexington, MA 02420

Note: Non-US Climate Progress readers may also take advantage of this offer: Simply send us your color choice, a self-addressed envelope for mailing, and a small bank note in your local currency (to cover postage and handling).

Joe, enjoy your Disney World vacation this week! We’ll miss you!!

Cheers,

Roger and Team GWEN

P.S., Wit’s End, I’ll take a half dozen “Climate Hawk” pins please.

111. John Mason says:

Morning all!

For me this has to be the best of the lot – number 11 – slightly edited:

CO2: The Pollutant of Choice for the Last Generation

It starts off innocently, it correctly classifies anything that is present in the WRONG concentration as a pollutant and it ends about as finally and ominously as is possible.

Importantly, it also avoids all the tired old cliches of the past 30 years.

I’m not going to have a go myself, with a head as full of cold as is possible, but that is the one for me!

Cheers – John

112. I like a tweaking of #89 –

113. Phil Blackwood says:

Caution: Fossil Fuel Burning May be Hazardous to Your Civilizati­on

114. Chris Winter says:

“Fossil fuels are fuels for fossils”

“Coal: last century’s fuel, generating next century’s climate”

“U.S. oil: 50 years
    U.S coal: 200 years
    U.S. sunlight: almost forever”
    (Those two timespans should be checked.)

“Don’t let China be the green [energy] dragon”
    (This could work with the right graphic.)

“Manufacture wind turbines, not CDOs”

“Spilled wind never pollutes”

“Sunlight doesn’t contaminate groundwater”

115. Daniel Fleisher says:

My bumper sticker submission:

GLOBAL WARMING DENIERS ARE SKATING ON THIN ICE

116. Windsong says:

I loved so many but if I could get the one Richard Brenne mentioned (#111), I’d gladly put it on my car bumper:

“YES, YOUR SWIFTBOATING, DENIER THUG CAN BEAT UP MY HONOR STUDENT CLIMATE SCIENTIST– CONGRATS! YOU’VE WON THE DESTRUCTION OF THE EARTH!”

117. Tor B says:

My top 15 (in order):
    “Arctic Ice doesn’t have an agenda, it just melts”
    “Climate change is not just hot air”
    “CO2: Pollutant of Choice for the Last Generation”
    “Global Warming = Russian Roulette with Grandchildren”
    “CO2 traps heat — It’s the law” (on a hockey stick)
    “Caution: Fossil Fuel Burning Is Hazardous to Civilization”
    “AGW Reality: when you stop believing it, it doesn’t go away”
    “The greatest threat to the planet is the belief that others will save it”
    “Science: method for separating ideas that work from ideas that don’t”
    “If we want things to stay as they are, everything must change!”
    “I ‘heart’ Science – Invest in Clean Energy”
    “Climate change denial = crime against humanity”
    “Greatest threat to the environment: the belief that it doesn’t need protection”
    “Support global warming. Make Tallahassee a gulf port”
    “350 PPM: not easy but worth it”

118. Paul says:

Learn about Global Warming before Denying it

119. Paulm says:

350 or burn!

Tic tic tic 350

Would u let your kids die 4u?

Obama 350 NOW!

120. 350 Now says:

FLASH! FLASH!

Some of the above suggestions are brilliant and just too darn good not to be used !

So, how about we make our vehicles “message-mobiles”?

Instead of waiting for a few slogans that everyone would want to purchase (which will never happen), we could choose a dozen of our own favorites, type them into a Word or Pages document, print them in a large font (even with curious, eye-catching fonts) and scotch tape them in our rear car windows. Or put them in a plastic sleeve sheet protector. Replace as needed.

They don’t have to include toxic, semi-permanent outdoor glues – just a font large enough to be read, say, at traffic lights, the supermarket or employee’s parking lot…

Change them up every few months… GW deniers will get a little conservation message they wouldn’t otherwise hear on Fox snooze… Creative folks could add some colorful graphics or on light green paper so folks would “have” to look!

Another idea: post an 8×10 “flyer” in your rear car window stating: “I’m offsetting my car’s carbon emissions today by…. e. g…. not using the dishwasher… by using a clothesline solar dryer… eating meat only one meal a week… etc… whatever works for you.

Consider typing in a “credit” in the lower right corner by saying… “from the readers of ClimateProgress.org” This would help spread the word about Joe Romm’s great blog!

I just created a desktop folder called CD-ROMM – it will be a collection of these gems from the Joe Romm website for C-limate D-eniers… :-)

Will the messages look hand-made? Absolutely-that’s the point!. Individuals showing they know how to think for themselves. Will they show up in the Chevy Suburban (17 mpg), the official car of Texas? Who knows?

121. Leif says:

“Fossil Fuel = Humanities Meth”

“Green Energy = Salvation”

“Green Energy = Survival”

122. Ben Lieberman says:

Some good suggestions including;
    Coal leave it in the ground

CO2 the pollution of choice for the last generation

Climate Change – Write an Apology Addressed to your Grandchildren”

Climate Changed – Humans Didn’t

Tax Carbon, Not Income!

Less effective suggestions (imho) include the pointed attacks on the right or deniers–a bumper sticker should present a broad message.

I would suggest as well some kind of poster that Climate Hawks could put up in their yards to achieve maximum visibility.

123. Votes for “There is no Planet B”. And “Free speed course climate science — Any doubts? I’ll be glad to help!”. And “Science, not oil-coal industry disinformation”.

frank

124. Peter Sergienko says:

A bumper sticker with some props for our host:

YOU can handle the truth: climateprogress.org

125. Wit's End says:

Be a Climate Hawk, Not a Climate Chicken/Ostrich/Dodo/Goose

126. re: #34

THANK YOU, ANNE BUTTERFIELD!!!

127. Ben Lieberman:

I beg to differ. If we (or rather, Joe Romm and Smith) go out of our way to avoid offending inactivists, the message we’re sending will be something like

Yeah, maybe the inactivists have a point and global warming isn’t a problem. Therefore, the time to fix global warming is now!

which is neither here nor there.

frank

128. FOR SUVs, needless pickup trucks (particularly the Cadillac model made by GM), and all other gas guzzlers:

“Member: Eat, Drink and Be Merry Generation”

129. Bob Doublin says:

How about:

1.Think there’s no AGW? Put a gun to your grandchild’s head and play Russian Roulette,THE ODDS ARE BETTER.
    (And,yes, I’m purposefully trying to be as offensive as possible.It’s WAY,WAY,WAY past time to mince words and be “nice”)

2.As usual,our sister the Eaarth ALWAYS has the Last Word

3.To All Global Warming Deniers:Why do you HATE your grandchildren so much?

130. How about shining the light on the real culprit:

“COAL & living things don’t mix.”
    (shot of mountaintop removal, birds & wildlife flee for their lives)

“COAL: It doesn’t a body good.”
    (preteen downing a carton of coal, smiles with coalblack ring on upper lip); or
    (toddler slurping black slurry through a straw, laugh reveals coalblack tongue)

~IANVS

131. rossabbey says:

Late entry:

132. Neven says:

Especially for Joe:

“You can’t solve Global Warming with an economy that needs to keep growing.”

;-)

[JR: Not quite.]

133. Peter Wilson says:

Climate changes

Get over it

134. Anna Haynes says:

“Inaction is inexcusable” (from Copenhagen synthesis report 2009)

135. Some European says:

There’s plenty of stuff to like here.

Just to clarify: did anyone here not know that “There’s no Planet B” already exists? It was all over the place in Copenhagen last year. It’s obviously one of the best slogans ever. Hopefully there’s no copyright to be paid.
    Just an anecdote. Once, as I was working as a Greenpeace recruiter in the street, I stopped a lady who told me from the start she wasn’t going to support Greenpeace. As we were talking we came along a picture of a crowd, a girl looking straight at the camera and the ‘planet B’ slogan. She asked me what it meant and as I started explaining she suddenly got it and went crazy: “Wow! That’s great! What a great idea! Wow!! I like that! OMG, I’m all euphoric! I’m gonna become a member!…”
    So, yes: this slogan definitely works.

I’m all with 350 Now: let’s just do it. It doesn’t have to be perfect, that’s what’s making it even more grassrootish.

@ Bill Maddox, 85: What does AGW/WAF mean?

Other suggestions:
    “Ice-free arctic in 2020, bets are on!”
    “Danger: 3 species are driven extinct every hour” (with skull)
    “Jellyfish kebab, get used to it…”
    “2037: 2 McCockroaches and a coke please!”
    “Missile defense won’t protect US from the coming dust bowl”
    “Global warming is a hoax! – This sticker was sponsored by EXXON”
    “I’ll say global warming is a hoax for half Inhofe’s wage”
    “Why do we need a planet if we’ve got FOX News?”
    “CO2 is not in the Bible, so it doesn’t exist”
    haven’t seen this classic: “Climate Justice Now!”

OK, here’s my list (in order, but chock-full with ex aequo’s):

CO2 the pollution of choice for the last generation

There is no Planet “B”

I BRAKE FOR GLOBAL WARMING DENIERS. . . . . .BUT OUR KIDS WON’T

If you can read this, my bike is broke.

Tax Carbon, Not Income!

Climate Changed – Humans Didn’t

Caution: Fossil Fuel Burning May be Hazardous to Your Civilizati¬on

IF YOU LIKE CO2. . . . . .MOVE TO VENUS

“COAL” Leave it in the Ground

“Planet Earth is NOT FOR SALE”

“2 + 2 = 4, or 2 + 2 = 6? The truth is NOT in the middle”

Mother Nature always has the last word

350 PPM: I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.

“Flex Fuel Vehicle – I’m burning your children’s future”

MY OTHER CAR. . . . . .IS ALSO A CO2 EMITTING DOOM-MOBILE

“Fox News – the more you watch, the less you know”

“Spilled wind never pollutes”

—-

136. paulm says:

# 126 ben, …. “With all respect, I also doubt the effectiveness of 350 as a symbol in that it may not signify anything to most who see it.”

Thats the problem. Americans dont get it. And they have to. This is the most important number in modern human history. It is essential that the US get onboard with it as soon as possible.

I think most of the rest of the world is very aware of the number. Lets get America there too.

137. paulm says:

“There’s no Planet B” is superb.

CO2 KILLS!

Life’s a gas
    “I could have loved you good like a planet.”

138. Windsong says:

139. Windsong says:

Wit’s End, you must have liked my suggestion! :)

140. Windsong says:

141. MichaelFelber says:

“SORRY KIDS ABOUT RUNAWAY CLIMATE CHANGE”
    YOUR EXCUSE HERE: ………………….

DON’T GAMBLE WITH YOUR KIDS FUTURE.
    BECOME A CLIMATE HERO AND ACT NOW!

CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL IS A SERIOUS
    CRIME AGAINST YOUR OWN GRAND KIDS.

HATE YOUR KIDS ?
    DENY CLIMATE CHANGE!

142. Mark C. says:

I actually made this one for my car back in 2002:

Can you say “Global Warming?” I knew you could.

143. Anna Haynes says:

Speaking of climate communication – but not of bumperstickers, I’m abashed to say – a letter-sized first-pass climate science poster (to be 27×40) is here at Flickr.

I’m not exactly the sharpest aesthetic knife in the drawer, but perhaps it’ll spur someone with more of a feel for these things, to improve on it, or to provide some paint-by-numbers suggestions for how I could do so, quickly.

A SkepticalScience “fingerprints” poster would also be a good idea.

144. Rabid Doomsayer says:

Paul Revere was an alarmist

145. Ed H says:

just watched the ice skater video, how about “Everything is fine until it isn’t”

146. Chris Winter says:

I’ve just read Michael Crichton’s State of Fear (I know; six years late). It makes the point that half the U.S. population lives within 50 miles of the coast. Hence:

“Teach your grandchildren to swim
    …or let global warming do it for you.”

147. Steven H says:

“BiggerFasterBusierMore4Ever…
    …or NOT”

148. Chris Winter says:

“How come WikiLeaks hasn’t exposed the global warming hoax?
    Think about that.”

“Science is not a liberal scam.”

149. with the doves says:

this is good

HATE YOUR KIDS ?
    DENY CLIMATE CHANGE!

150. Steven H says:

And if not too long:

“BiggerFasterBusierMore4Ever…
    …is soooo last millennium”

151. Steven H says:

Or:

“Climate Change Denial is
    SOOOOO last millennium…”

152. Pete Wilson:

Climate changes

Get over it

That’s like saying “People get murdered. Get over it.” Duh.

* * *

Votes for “Science is not a liberal scam”, “Why do we need a planet if we’ve got FOX News?”, and “YOU can handle the truth: climateprogress.org”.

* * *

Inspired by Gareth‘s “The laws of physics are not susceptible to rhetoric”:

“Don’t argue with the laws of physics. Stop global warming denial”

* * *

Anna Haynes:

It’ll probably be good to have all the graphs line up on the same time axis as much as possible — though I guess that may involve a lot more work than it’s worth.

frank

153. rule30 says:

Paired with the climate hawk logo, how about the following?

“Be a climate hawk –
    Give deniers GREENIS ENVY”

Punchy and a bit risque, it reinforces the frame (“climate hawk”) while taking an emasculating jab at AGW deniers.

It inverts the common perception that environmental concern is a touchy-feely / more feminine tendency … which carries the unintended implication that lack-of-environmental concern must be the more masculine position. (The latter being the “deadbeat dad” model of stewardship.)

154. Anna Haynes says:

The commenter-suggested compendium (including the ones already compiled at comment#69). It’s complete as far as I know, absent a couple of inactivist b.s.s.

Non-English:
    * “Climat: après nous le déluge?”
    * “Klimawandel [dutch: klimaatverandering] Wir haben es nicht gewußt” – We didn’t know

English:
    * “$20 TRILLION per year – the cost of Doing Nothing about global warming”
    * “(hockey stick graph)”
    * “2 + 2 = 4, o – ? The truth is NOT in the middle”
    * “2 + 2 = 4, or 2 + 2 = 6? The truth is NOT in the middle”
    * “2+2=4 Scientist; 2+2=5 Fox News; 2+2=0 Climate Change Denier”
    * “2+2=4 Scientist; 2+2=5 Fox News; 2+2=6 Climate Change Denier”
    * “2037: 2 McCockroaches and a coke please!”
    * “34?
    * “350 Now: let’s just do it”
    * “350 or burn!”
    * “350 or bust!”
    * “350 PPM – Don’t just wish for it – Work for it!”
    * “350 PPM – You can get there from here”
    * “350 PPM: I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.”
    * “350 PPM: I’m not saying it will be easy. I am saying it will be worth it.”
    * “6th mass extinction has already begun”
    * “9 meals from anarchy”
    * “Act on Global Warming – Impound my car!”
    * “AGW / WAF”
    * “AGW = Carbon Karma”
    * “AGW is just a theory. Got a better one?”
    * “Al Gore lost weight, it’s OK to cut CO2 now.”
    * “As usual,our sister the Eaarth ALWAYS has the Last Word”
    * “Bail out the planet”
    * “Basic human rights are not ‘liberal dogma’”
    * “Be a Climate Hawk, Not a Climate Chicken/Ostrich/Dodo/Goose”
    * “Big Coal: Making a molehill out of a mountain.”
    * “BiggerFasterBusierMore4Ever – is soooo last millennium”
    * “BiggerFasterBusierMore4Ever – or NOT”
    * “Bring facts and logic back into politics”
    * “Burning coal roasts all of us”
    * “Burning Down the House”
    * “Can you say “Global Warming? I knew you could.”
    * “Can’t break the laws of physics”
    * “Cap and Trade: It’s a law we can live with.”
    * “Caution: Fossil Fuel Burning May be Hazardous to Your Civilization”
    * “Chill out or die”
    * “Clean Energy Bill: For the want of a nail, the shoe was lost.”
    * “Clean energy technologies: China is eating our lunch”
    * “Climate Change – here it comes ready or not!”
    * “Climate Change – Write an Apology Addressed to your Grandchildren”
    * “Climate change denial = crime against humanity”
    * “Climate Change Denial Is A Serious Crime Against Your Own Grand Kids.”
    * “Climate Change Denial is SOOOOO last millennium”
    * “Climate change is for those who can’t handle denial”
    * “Climate change is not happening and 2+2=5; I learned these from Fox News”
    * “Climate change is not hot air”
    * “Climate change is not just about polar bears”
    * “Climate Changed – Humans Didn’t”
    * “Climate Collapse Oxymoron: Hell and high water – from a flood of tears.”
    * “Climate Generacide”
    * “Climate Justice Now!”
    * “Climate Victim”
    * “CO2 feeds plants – plants like poison ivy.”
    * “CO2 is not in the Bible, so it doesn’t exist”
    * “CO2 KILLS!”
    * “CO2 the pollution of choice for the last generation”
    * “CO2 traps heat – It’s the law.”
    * “CO2: The Pollutant of Choice for the Last Generation”
    * “COAL & living things don’t mix.” (shot of mountaintop removal, birds & wildlife flee for their lives)
    * “Coal – Leave It In The Ground”
    * “COAL: It doesn’t do a body good.” (preteen downing a carton of coal, smiles with coalblack ring on upper lip); or (toddler slurping black slurry through a straw, laugh reveals coalblack tongue)
    * “Coal: last century’s fuel, generating next century’s climate”
    * “Coal: leave it in the ground”
    * “Coals pollution kills 1,000,000 per year”
    * “Coming Soon To Your Community: Global Warming – Its Real!”
    * “Conservative On Fuel, Not Climate Change Policy”
    * “Cut Emissions: Rpg My Bmw”
    * “Danger: 3 species are driven extinct every hour” (with skull)
    * “De Nile Denial – used to be a river in Egypt.”
    * “Deniers happen.”
    * “Deny climate change and your kids will pay the procrastination penalties”
    * “Deny This – God Shall : ‘Destroy Those Who Destroy The Earth’ -Revelation 11:18?
    * “Deny this: God shall ‘destroy those who destroy the Earth’- Rev.11:18″
    * “Desperate About Climate Change”
    * “Don’t be fooled by the Global warming deniers”
    * “Don’t Gamble With Your Kids’ Future. – Become A Climate Hero And Act Now!”
    * “Don’t let China be the green [energy] dragon”
    * “Drive Nature forth by force, she’ll turn and rout / The false refinements that would keep her out. ~Horace”
    * “Earth: too big to fail?”
    * “Ecology precedes Economy”
    * “Energy Revolution Now!” (Plus A Tiny: (C) Gwen 2007.) Bold White letters on a green or black background (500 free with SASE)
    * “Everyone with a child has a stake in the future”
    * “Everything is fine until it isn’t”
    * “Exxon Mobile’s dirty secrets: http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/orgfactsheet.php?id=21
    * “Exxon/Koch Stop Funding Climate (Change) Denial”
    * “Fear corporate greed”
    * “Finite Planet + Infinite (Greed + Stupidity)= Mass Extinction”
    * “Flex Fuel Vehicle – I’m burning your children’s future”
    * “Flying ‘only’ once a year is like being true 364 days a year.”
    * “For the TRUTH about Global Warming (Climate Change Experts): climateprogress.org”
    * “For what will it profit a main if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? – Matthew 16:26″
    * “Fossil Fuel = Humanities Meth”
    * “Fossil fuel Industry pays $$ Millions to Climate Change liars: “ExxonSecrets Factsheet: Cato Institute”
    * “Fossil fuels are fuels for fossils”
    * “FOX Deja-Nus: The feeling you’ve heard this bull before”
    * “Fox News – the more you watch, the less you know”
    * “FOX News is lying to YOU!”
    * “FOX News M. O. : If you can’t convince them, confuse them.”
    * “Fox News, now that’s entertainment!”
    * “Free speed course climate science – Any doubts? I’ll be glad to help!”
    * “From Feast to Famine in 10, 9, 8, 7 – ”
    * “Global warming deniars are a waste of carbon.”
    * “Global Warming Deniers Are Skating On Thin Ice”
    * “Global Warming Deniers: I’m trying to see things your way, but I can’t get my head that far up my butt”
    * “Global Warming Deniers: Those who forget the past are condemned to reheat it.”
    * “Global Warming Deniers: Trade in your moral compass for a GPS”
    * “Global Warming Denier’s and Delayer’s Will Drown Too!”
    * “Global Warming Hypocrites Drive me Round the Bend!”
    * “Global warming is a hoax! – This sticker was sponsored by EXXON”
    * “Global warming tracks emission of CO2 into the atmosphere. – So does denier hysteria.”
    * “Global Warming: The Deniers Will Be Spinning in Our Graves”
    * “Got COAL? Not on my grandchild’s life.” (infant’s first steps in diaper & gasmask)
    * “Got Kids? Think Global Warming”
    * “Green Energy = Salvation”
    * “Green Energy = Survival”
    * “Greenhouse Effect was discovered in 1824 – Just how retarded are you?”
    * “Greenhouse Effect was discovered in 1824 – Just when are you going to understand?”
    * “GW Deniers paid top $$! Check out Exxon Mobil’s Payroll Website!”
    * “Hate Your Kids ? Deny Climate Change!”
    * “Help control global warming. Drive less”
    * “Honk if you think you’ll survive the coming climate catastrophe”
    * “Honk if you’re worried about climate change”
    * “How come WikiLeaks hasn’t exposed the global warming hoax? Think about that.”
    * “Hudson Bay tropical beach resort” (with palm tree, should look as if you went there last summer)
    * “Humans are too Stupid to prevent Climate Change?”
    * “Humans lived for millions of years without using oil. We cannot survive for a week without water.”
    * “I am the GREEN Dragon.”
    * “I brake for global warming deniers – but our kids won’t”
    * “I Brake For Global Warming Deniers – Sometimes”
    * “I brake for stopping climate change.” – get it, because – regenerative braking – if you’re driving an HEV
    * “I could have loved you good like a planet.”
    * “I have children – Global warming is personal”
    * “I heart Fox News b/c it is funnier than Comedy Central”
    * “I ‘heart’ Reality – end denialism”
    * “I ‘heart’ Science – Invest in Clean Energy”;”
    * “Ice caps don’t have an agenda, they just melt”
    * “Ice-free arctic in 2020, bets are on!”
    * “If everyone watched Fox News, Sarah Palin would be President”
    * “If we burn all fossil fuels, Earth will become like Venus”
    * “If You Can Read This – We’Re Both Emitting Co2″
    * “If you can read this, my bike is broke.”
    * “If You Like Co2 – Move To Venus”
    * “If you think CO2 is so benign, then wear a plastic bag over your head”
    * “In Denial – Earth’s Anthropocene Epoch Arrives”
    * “Inaction is inexcusable” (from Copenhagen synthesis report 2009)
    * “I’d rather be bicycling – and fixing / helping / cutting AGW.”
    * “I’d rather be hypermiling”
    * “I’d rather be pimping my car with RelayRides”
    * “I’d rather be taking BART”
    * “I’d rather be taking the train”
    * “I’d rather take the train”
    * “I’ll say global warming is a hoax for half Inhofe’s wage”
    * “I’m burning your children’s future more slowly” – For hybrids
    * “I’m burning your children’s future”.
    * “I’m Changing the Climate – .Ask me How”
    * “I’m not saving the planet because someone else already is.”
    * “I’m Skeptical about Climate Skeptics”
    * “Jellyfish kebab, get used to it – ”
    * “Keep fossil fuels in the ground”
    * “Learn about Global Warming before Denying it”
    * “Life’s a gas”
    * “Like global warming? Get your own planet.”
    * “LOL OIL” Tesla Vanity License Plate (at treehugger)
    * “Lose (Co2) Weight! Ask Me How!”
    * “Lose The Weight That Kills – Cut Co2 Emissions”
    * “Manufacture wind turbines, not CDOs”
    * “Member: Eat, Drink and Be Merry Generation” – for gas guzzlers:
    * “Missile defense won’t protect US from the coming dust bowl”
    * “Mother Nature always has the last word”
    * “My garden has room for 3000 climate refugees”
    * “My Other Car – Is Also A Co2 Emitting Doom-Mobile”
    * “No more IMF loans for fossil fuels!”
    * “No one is entitled to their own global-warming facts.”
    * “Obama 350 NOW!”
    * “Ocean acidification [something catchy]”
    * “Organized Climate Denial = Crime Against Humanity”.
    * “Our Past is the Enemy of Our Future.”
    * “Paul Revere was an alarmist”
    * “Planet Earth is NOT FOR SALE”
    * “Please Help Me Stop Climate Change”
    * “Protecting our environment is not Stalinism”
    * “Prove AGW is a hoax, win a Nobel Prize.”
    * “Reality: Harsh but Fair”
    * “Reality: Harsh But Fair” is pretty good too.
    * “Recycling is good, cycling is better”
    * “Right-Wing Conservative Senators: Jesus also thinks you are assholes.”
    * “Runs largely on renewable energy instead of your children’s future” PHEV:
    * “Runs largely on solar energy instead of your children’s future” PHEV
    * “Runs on renewable energy instead of your children’s future” EV:
    * “Runs on solar energy instead of your children’s future” EV
    * “Runs partially on renewable energy instead of your children’s future” – EVs and PHEVs:
    * “Science is not a liberal scam.”
    * “Secret meeting of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!
    * “Sequester Coal: Leave It In The Ground”
    * “smoking is healthy and so is climate change”
    * “So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish”; – Douglas Adams
    * “Sorry Kids About Runaway Climate Change”: Your Excuse Here: -”
    * “Spilled wind never pollutes”
    * “Stop cyber-attacks against global warming science”
    * “Stop new coal plants (and close old ones too!)”
    * “Storms Of Our Grandchildren”
    * “Sunlight doesn’t contaminate groundwater”
    * “Support global warming. Make Fairbanks a sea port”
    * “Tax Carbon Emissions: Good For America, Good For Your Grandchildren.”
    * “Tax carbon, not income”
    * “Tax Global Warming http://taxglobalwarming.org/
    * “Teach your grandchildren to swim – or let global warming do it for you.”
    * “The climate just ain’t what it used to be”
    * “the earth is flat and arctic ice is not shrinking”
    * “The earth is heating”, against a backdrop of NASA GISS 1920-2010 relative-temperature data (what’s the term for an infographic like this?)
    * “The greatest threat to our environment is the belief that we don’t need to protect it”
    * “The greatest threat to the planet is the belief that others will save it.”
    * “The Titanic is unsinkable and climate change is just fine”
    * “There is no Planet ‘B’”
    * “Think AGW is a hoax? Prove it.”
    * “Think AGW is a hoax? Publish the proof.”
    * “Think CO2 is harmless? Try breathing it.”
    * “Think for yourself – do your own fact-checking!”
    * “Think Global Warming. Act Locally”
    * “Think there’s no AGW? Put a gun to your grandchild’s head and play Russian Roulette,THE ODDS ARE BETTER.”
    * “This car delivers One lb CO2 / mile”
    * “This Machine Kills Petro-Fascists”
    * “Tic tic tic 350″
    * “To All Global Warming Deniers:Why do you HATE your grandchildren so much?”
    * “U.S. oil: 50 years – U.S coal: 200 years – U.S. sunlight: almost forever” (Those two timespans should be checked.)
    * “Unchecked Global Warming = Russian Roulette with your Grandchildren”
    * “Vast Right Wing Conspiracy to meet on Jan 30-31, 2011
    * “Warning: climate collapse ahead”
    * “Watch Fox News – Ignorance is bliss”
    * “We are Green Dragon. Hear us roar”.
    * “We can’t fix climate change if we are not causing it. Pray we are.’ – Senator Grant Mitchell, Senate of Canada”
    * “We love our grandchildren; let’s not cook them”
    * “Welcome to Planet Eaarth”
    * “When Bangladesh floods, we’ll just send 150 million people to Israel”
    * “When every radio station is blaring that a man without knowledge or education is better than one who has studied, it takes courage to ask: better for whom? – Bertolt Brecht” (1898-1956), Writing the Truth: Five Difficulties;
    * “Why do global warming denialists keep telling lies about Al Gore?”
    * “Why do we need a planet if we’ve got FOX News?”
    * “Without Planet Earth, there is no USA”
    * “Would u let your kids die 4u?”
    * “Yes, Your Swiftboating, Denier Thug Can Beat Up My Honor Student Climate Scientist – Congrats! You’Ve Won The Destruction Of Earth!”
    * “You are Here”, with A graph of world population .
    * “YOU can handle the truth: climateprogress.org”
    * “You can’t solve Global Warming with an economy that needs to keep growing.”
    * “You do NOT have the right to remain silent on AGW”

Graphics to consider using:
    * NOAA temp projection for 2081-2099 (in degrees F) from the 2009 Draft Report: Global Climate Change Impacts in U.S.
    * picture of the Navajo coal-fired plant in AZ with all its smoke stacks belching emissions into the atmosphere.
    * the 2009 MIT study’s (report 169) no-policy wheel of fortune
    * the New Scientist’s 4-degree world map.

Other:
    “WARNING: Consuming this product is burning your children’s future” To stick on gasoline (and Diesel) pumps
    So, how about we make our vehicles “message-mobiles”? (no bumpersticker needed)

155. Anna Haynes says:

For the compendium (which is awaiting moderation, and which could have used a little more proofreading) –

“Don’t argue with the laws of physics. Stop global warming denial” (frank)
    “Be a climate hawk – Give deniers GREENIS ENVY” (Rule30)
    “Climate hawks give deniers GREENIS ENVY”
    “Climate deniers are deadbeat dads”

156. Marie says:

The opposite of a hero is a bystander. Friends don’t let friends deny global warming and climate disruption.
    The climate is different now – just ask your grandmother, or the last farmer in your family.
    I’m not a climate change denier; I’m just way smarter than the world’s top scientists! Trust me, I watch Fox news.
    Global warming causes climate chaos.
    Tax contributions to climate change. This car produces…
    Conservative on fuel, not climate change policy
    I brake for global warming deniers, but the next generation won’t.
    Science is not a liberal scam.
    Ice caps don’t have an agenda. They just melt.
    I like #2 (2+2=4 or 2+2=6? The truth is not in the middle), #11 (pollution of choice for the last generation), #13 (no planet B), #28, #33, #37 (because I think this is the argument that will kick GHG reduction into gear in the end – why we need more planning for and estimates of adaptation costs) #56, #65 (write an apology to your grandchildren), #80, #83, #107 (finite planet+inifinite greed/stupidity =…), #108 (all), #112, #120 (all), #121 (learn about global warming before denying it). Missile defense won’t protect US from the coming Dust Bowl.
    Agree with someone else’s point that a non-green, sans-serif font would work better for the great examples you already show.

157. Anna Haynes says:

Here are several first passes at “Climate Deniers are Deadbeat Dads” (link)

158. BLH says:

Don’t Tread on M.E. (Mother Earth)

159. No jobs on a dead planet

160. MichaelFelber says:

OUR CREDIT EARTH IS MAXED OUT.
    SUPPORT URGENT CLIMATE ACTION!

CLIMATE CHANGE IS A JOKE,
    UNTIL YOUR KIDS CHOKE.

CLIMATE CHANGE DENIERS
    HOLD HUMANITY HOSTAGE!

161. Chris Winter says:

“This planet is pretty cool. Let’s keep it that way (pretty and cool.)”

“Mountains look better with snow on them.”

162. with the doves says:

Climate change denier – pants on fire!!

(nyah nyah)

163. Anna Haynes says:

“True conservatives don’t monkey with our life support system”

164. Anna Haynes says:

“True conservatives wouldn’t wreck the world’s life support system”

165. Tom Lenz says:

The Earth Is Flat! F**k Facts!

166. Tom Lenz says:

I’m smarter than Stephen Hawking!
    I get my facts from Fox!

167. Anna Haynes says:

“True conservatives don’t gamble with the family’s life support”

168. with the doves says:

or

“liar, liar – global warming denier!”

169. RobinR says:

A possible bumpersticker

My car’s emissions are helping you to fry your child.

170. espiritwater says:

I’m smarter than Hawkings. And I don’t get my facts from Fox news! (Screw Hawkins).

171. Tom Lenz says:

Who are Hawkings and Hawkins?

172. Tom Lenz says: