Where ClimateProgress readers live

"Where ClimateProgress readers live"

Some folks expressed interest in seeing more of my Web statistics.  This pie chart breaks down where visitors to CP come from:

Geo-mapCP

This is Urchin data (Google analytics) based on visits in December.

So more than one third of my visits come from outside the United States.  I hope to do a bit more international coverage in 2011.

And if you like your data more visually:

geo-mapCP2

“The Geo Map Overlay is a graphical representation of the volume of visitors coming from locations around the world. The largest points indicate locations driving the most visitors to your website.”

Interestingly, while the average number of pages viewed per visit is 3.4, for some countries it is considerably higher.  For the United Kingdom it is 4.2, for Sweden it is 10.8, and for the Netherlands it is over 26!

Let me know if this is TMI.

33 Responses to Where ClimateProgress readers live

1. John Mason says:

I hope the UK percentage goes up this year, Joe. I’m doing my bit to promote CP over here :)

Cheers – John

2. Daniel J. Andrews says:

And I’m doing the same for Canada. See if I can bump us into second place, beating out the UK. :)

3. Raul M. says:

I’ll keep in mind that a majority around here
    May feel it to be an invasion of their ” persuit
    Of happiness” for me to suggest that they
    Shouldn’t make so much mess and that they
    Should start cleaning up after.

4. mbrayne says:

Very good to see those stats, Joe. Sweet little hotspot in Cirencester, Cotswolds, though work in progress towards a bigger spread….

5. Chris Winter says:

“Let me know if this is TMI.”

Three Mile Island? What… Oh, right; you mean “Too much information.” ;-)

Seriously, I don’t think it’s too much. In fact, I’d like to see a complete breakdown of the actual percentage for each category including “other.”

6. Mike Roddy says:

I really enjoy comment posts from overseas, since even us Progressives can stuck in our thinking from time to time. Someone from The Netherlands even fact checked me recently about EU coal consumption, something I welcomed. Climate is, after all, an international problem, and it’s good to see that many of our neighbors want to brainstorm this together.

It’s a tribute to you too, Joe, including the traffic from China. I suspect that international readers are well placed, and will be able to put the quality information here to use.

7. catman306 says:

Superimposing this map with a blue/red state map will help show where we need to do our work.

Kansas comes to mind. And the areas where the bake us dozen are elected.

This kind of data from other climate friendly websites could be compiled together to create an even more comprehensive idea of where people just aren’t getting the message that climate change is real, is man made, and is happening now. Only the internet can bring people this message because the US media aren’t doing it.

8. dp says:

london is bigger than i expected, joe do you get picked up by the guardian or something? also wow the visits from canada are almost as big per capita as for US.

i wonder why so much more interest from NYC. friedman & krugman readers? maybe some commodity traders too?

9. Sally says:

I follow your blog from Kansas City, MO, through Google Reader, but there’s no blip on your map for me — perhaps because I don’t generally visit your URL. Maybe you didn’t get all of the credit you deserve.

10. John Atkeison says:

Keep it coming!

11. Prokaryotes says:

Australia visitors? Would be great if some Aussies would give us more first hand reports from the land of the kangaroos.

12. Jim Groom says:

I see a lot of states without a mark. Does that really mean that you have no readers in those states? If so, I’m truly embarassed. It seems impossible that so many areas would not have at least one reader. Keep up your good work and I look forward to my daily briefing for the rest of the year. I wish a Happy New Year to all.

13. ctg says:

Something is not quite right with the map overlay – at least in the bottom right corner. The blips for NZ look to be in New Plymouth and Kaitaia (think Bozeman MN for comparison), rather than Auckland and Wellington as they should be. The cities in Oz also look a bit displaced.

But hey, I’m just glad our blip is registering at all!

14. Andy says:

Joe:

how many of us are there?

15. There’s no such thing as TMI. Interesting statistic about the Netherlands though; perhaps my fellow Dutchmen are very curious, or just very enthousiastic clickers? How many Dutch people visited the site?

16. Rob Mutch says:

No, it’s not TMI. It would be interesting to see a breakdown between the number of unique visitors vs. return visitors.

17. Joe, I’m a big fan from northern Maine, and I’d like to see ClimateProgress get a lot more Maine traffic. What would be a real big help to me in this regard is if you could roll in some occasional posting on four specific topics (I know that’s a lot to ask, but just in case you get cloned or something).

1. Impeachment: I need to help Mainers understand that it’s an impeachable offense for a Representative of Congress to aid and abet the fossil fuel industry in its propaganda attack against our mission-critical infrastructure. This isn’t 1990. This is 2011, and the United States intelligence community stands united with the global scientific community on the position that anthropogenic global warming is a clear and present danger to U.S. national security and foreign policy interests. If the climate zombies in the House were telling us not to worry about a group of terrorists plotting to do us harm, and if these same zombies were getting financial backing by the terrorists, wouldn’t we call that treason? Don’t we have an obligation here, Joe, to call this crime by its proper name? And until someone starts blowing hard on that horn in Washington, how can I blow on it in the Legislature here in Maine, or use it against the global warming denialism of the Governor and Tea Party activists that just engineered a clean sweep of Maine government?

2. Coverage of New England Climate Politics: At the same time, I could use your brilliant eye on an occasional New England climate politics piece. How are the state governors comparing to each other and the rest of the U.S. on climate policy, and what is happening regionally to bring on board wayward Representatives in Congress? I am of course particularly interested in Senator Collins (R-ME), who I think might deserve more credit than you gave her for her bipartisan co-sponsorship of the Collins-Cantwell bill. I think it would be easier to gain traction in Maine if the message on Climate Progress was praise for Collins’ leadership on the climate science, combined with pressure for her to get behind a formal censure of global warming denialism.

3. Carbon Tax/Dividend, Cap/Dividend, Cap-Trade: I attended the Pricing Carbon conference at Wesleyan, heard all three plans debated, and I have to say I think the carbon tax and dividend plan made more sense to me, but I also heard something very, very important at that conference – carbon taxers would probably bend to a cap and 75/25 dividend. I think 75/25 might be especially attractive if the 25 went to state governments (getting them on board) because I think we are already needing intensive state and local climate change adaptation planning and implementation – at least here in Maine. Anyway, I need to see more coverage on all of these plans, who is leading the way on each, and why I should be inclined one way versus the other. Even if your way is the best, I need constant reminding in the face of competing plans. Could you get top flight representatives of each plan to post their best arguments in a monthly guest post/debate? Would that muddy the waters too much, or would it help build political consensus?

4. Plant-Based Nutrition and Forestation Versus Livestock: Okay, I hate to be the only vegan with an attitude in the room, but I also need all the help I can making a case for Mainers to eat a plant-based diet, and preserve their forest, as part of a common-sense climate security strategy. I spoke with several movers and shakers at the Pricing Carbon conference about this, and there seems to be no discussion taking place about our need to strongly down-regulate livestock production, and get a hell of a lot more trees in the ground ASAP (in climate change resilient, mixed-species, long-rotation systems), or we are looking at hell and high water even if we get the hydrocarbon emissions capped in due course. Hansen understands we have to plant the trees, but the connection to livestock reduction and plant-based nutrition goes unsaid. There’s just no way, Joe, we’re going to get our health care expenditures under control in Maine if we don’t start getting folks to eat healthier and a lot lower on the food chain. Why not get front and center on the mutually reinforcing climate change/livestock emissions/plant-based nutrition message sooner rather than later?

Just some thoughts. You know the field a lot better than I do, but this is how things are looking to me from my vantage point up here in northern Maine, and this is the direction I’m going to be posting this year until someone shows me the error in my thinking.

Thanks for your fantastic work.

Comment cross-posted here.

18. Jim says:

Maybe I’m the only reader from the South Island of NZ–but I doubt it.
    This is my main go to site every morning along with energy bulletin.

19. Will G. says:

I would point out that although more foreign coverage is welcome, many Europeans, Asians and Australians coming here are likely doing so to be updated on climate progress in the United States. (I’m from Seattle)

20. Dave R says:

Thanks Joe, glad to see you’re attracting a global audience. From here in the UK it’s fascinating (and worrying) to see how US conservative politicians seem to be taking the opposite view to their UK counterparts. Here we’re lucky enough to have a (Conservative) Prime Minister who seems to really care about acting on climate change.

21. Dan from Canada says:

Even though I am not an American, I enjoy reading your blog on a regular basis. I wasn’t aware that over 1/3 of your readers are from outside the USA. You should definitely do more international coverage. Good luck, Joe, and keep up the fight!

Hey!

I don’t get a dot on the map.

23. Happy to see that there are a slice for Sweden. Hope that I can do some progress to make this also be used in Finland where I have some good connections.
    By the way, one important issue is not working with my Safari and Mac OS and that is the possibility to use the share-button. I need always to make a copy of the link to share on Facebook. And as I´ve got lot of friends in both Sweden and Finland it would help a lot if it worked in that simple way.

24. Jeandetaca says:

From Bordeaux, I am a daily user of your web site, the no1 for me!
    I store your articles and photos showing the reality of global warming and the urgency to act. We must appeal to multiple drivers; reason of the scientific findings, fear, responsability, artistic representation, humor, …
    I find a lot of this variety of approach in your posts.
    Thank you and happy new year!

25. George D says:

Is that big bubble NYC, or is it DC? I’d hope it’s the latter.

26. Billy T says:

Remember geo-location generally gives the location of the ISP so the dots on the map may simply reflect where these are congregated.

27. Acacia says:

I live in what is now a very soddy Rockhampton in central Queensland and visit this site daily as a readable and informative source of climate information.
    The blog also provides an insightful analysis into American politics, particularly the murky waters of the Tea Party. Articles on American press coverage of climate change are interesting as much of the content is mirrored here in Australia.

Congratulations to Joe for his prolific output and excellent content.

28. Sou says:

It looks as if you get quite a few of us popping in from Australia. Will keep trying to get you more visitors. I really appreciate the posts relating to sustainable energy and climate issues world-wide as well as US-specific. It helps remind us that things are happening all around the world.

This site is one of the primary sources of information on technology, policy and science and a brilliant jumping off point for more detailed information. I also like the ideas for how we all can help change things for the better.

Thank you for all the good work.

29. JasonW says:

It’s great to see Germany represented strongest amongst the non-English-speaking countries. Whilst climate action is definitely part of governmental and societal action over here, a large portion of the population remains in denial. The forums of news magazine Der Spiegel whenever a climate article is posted are like the Night Of The Living Dead Denier Canards.

Keep it up!

30. Vic says:

Bucketing down here in Byron Bay , Australia.

The town of St George in Queensland is currently experiencing it’s second “once in a hundred year” flooding event in 9 months.

Much of the runoff from Queensland will flow inland to a massive salt pan named Lake Eyre, which historically has recieved significant infills in the order of once every 10-15 years. It is now about to fill for the third year in a row.

Even more of the runoff will head to the east, taking with it massive quantities of silt and nitrogen, and dumping it on our Great Barrier Reef. I hope the old girl can handle it, she’s been worth around 5 billion a year to our tourism industry.

And to span this stunning continent, my home town of Perth in the southwest corner of Australia has just had it’s driest year in history.

31. dp says:

maybe it’s time to try a syndicated column

32. matt says:

Hello Vic – from Perth. ;) Regarding the driest year in Perth ever – have you seen the path of madness Water Corp has committed to?

Nice stats Joe – and definitely not TMI – the more the better.

33. Dappledwater says:

CTG @ 13 – That’s probably me. At least it looks about right for Kerikeri.