Climate Progress milestone: 10,000 Twitter followers

By Joe Romm

"Climate Progress milestone: 10,000 Twitter followers"

Why you should join them

How tweet it is.  To follow Climate Progress on Twitter, click here.

But why should you follow this blog on twitter?  Two reasons:

1. It’s a modern, portable version of a news teletype.
  2. Your (online) neighbors are doing it!

Let me elaborate:

1.  It’s like a modern news teletype.  Some may think Twitter is only for dishing out 140 characters of trivial information to the kind of people who are interested in what Ashton Kutcher had for lunch.  But in fact, for a blog, Twitter is more akin to an old fashioned “teleprinter (teletypewriter, Teletype or TTY),” which for much of the second half of the 20th century was a must-have in newsrooms and anywhere else that wanted to keep up with the latest breaking news.

As Climate Progress articles are posted, Twitter followers get the headline plus a TinyUrl to access the whole piece.  Since the next several months will likely to see lots of breaking news on the EPA, the disinformers, and clean energy, you’ll get the news delivered immediately to you ahead of everyone else.  Not only won’t this cost you a penny, it’s surely a lot better than this ever was:

2.  Your (online) neighbors are already following Climate Progress on Twitter! Since going on Twitter in April 2009 (see “How tweet it is“) I have amassed over 10,000 followers (as of today), which I’m told is a lot.  I’m also told that latest behavioral psychology research says the best way to persuade people to adopt a certain behavior is to make sure they know that their neighbors and people are doing it.  Well, they are.  All the time.  Do they know something you don’t?  Do they also have more compact fluorescent light bulbs and a bigger solar PV system and a smaller carbon footprint than you?  Get with it, readers.

Plus, it is just possible that this year, finally, there will be actual tweeting from ClimateProgress separate from the posts.

To follow Climate Progress on Twitter, click here.  Do it for your kids.

Of course, you can still do it the “old”-fashioned way, with my RSS feed, where you get the previous 24 hours’ posts delivered to your  inbox “” click here.  Or visit the site a couple times a day.  Or make Climate Progress your homepage!

Ah, tweet mystery of life, at last I’ve found thee!
Ah! I know at last the secret of it all!

‹ A ‘Tex-extremist’ approach to the Clean Air Act

Stop the presses: Snow in winter! ›

16 Responses to Climate Progress milestone: 10,000 Twitter followers

1. Scott says:

Better yet you create a facebook page, link it with your twitter account (which is easy to do) and post items on facebook (more reach, easier to share, better platform) and your twitter followers get their tweets as well. Win-win. No, I don’t work for facebook!

[JR: Coming!]

2. Bid says:

You can also create a website and link to it from Twitter if you don’t want to use Facebook. For some reason certain people are under the impression that Twitter and Facebook are the same. I see this on a whole bunch of messages. I prefer Twitter because I value my privacy. The teletype analogy is a good one. It seems that we are coming full circle now i.e. the teletype is back but far more powerful and who knows who many times faster.

3. Wes says:

So far, I have much preferred to get Climate Progress via RSS feed. It is there when I want it, without having to go back through all of the other tweeters I follow. I had thought of un-following CP for that very reason.

On the other side, I find it beneficial to follow @drgrist. The give and take of conversation adds more and listening to his music tweets gives a sense of the person, not just the publisher.

4. Scott says:

Great, let me know if you need help, I’m pretty good with this stuff…

5. Prokaryotes says:

In case CP wants it own facebook page – have a look http://www.jomsocial.com/

6. Sime says:

Sorry Joe… Mr Typo and the ‘e’ fell off!

7. If I had a lotta time to waste and nothing very interesting to do, I still wouldn’t subject myself to Twitter, Facebook or even RSS feeds. Why would I, when I can go find what I’m interested in anytime I want to, once I’ve finished doing what has to be done?

[JR: Because Twitter or the feed are a huge time saver.]

8. Chris Winter says:

The editorial advises that

“We can hardly dig out of one snowstorm before another hits, yet the believers keep telling us global warming is here. A new climate model, however, is showing that the projections of doom have been wrong.

[* * *]

“This “more sophisticated climate model,” Michaels wrote recently on the Cato Institute’s @liberty blog, reduces the amount of expected warming by 25% from earlier models.

“The old wisdom that feeding junk into a computer will cause it to spit out junk explains why the public has been hectored about a nonexistent global warming threat for almost 20 years.”

And Roy Spencer chimes in:

“One would think that understanding how the real world works would be a primary concern of climate researchers, but it is not,” wrote Spencer.

That’s funny. In the real world that I inhabit, reducing something by 25 percent does not make it go away.

No doubt Joe will blog on the new Japanese model at some point.

9. Chris Winter says:

But this leads me to wonder: Forbes, Investor.com… Is this part of a new trend of business magazines and Web sites taking up the cudgels for the contrarians?

10. fj3 says:

Found this YouTube video to be a total mindblow on the dynamics of information and communication technologies (ICTs); and, perhaps terribly optimistic considering the potential for massive social change empowered by social media and complementing technologies and methods; though seems overhyped and perhaps somewhat like the internet bubble; in any case, “How much chaos can you stand?” as Clay Shirky says in his book “Cognitive Surplus” . . .

Social Media Revolution 2 (Refresh) http://youtu.be/lFZ0z5Fm-Ng!

11. > [JR: Because Twitter or the feed are a huge time saver.]

They’re the opposite, designed to encourage you to generate advertising revenue by wasting time looking at material you otherwise souldn’t look at.

[JR: No. You see the headline and can make a decision if that's an article you want to read.]

12. Peter Bellin says:

Do Twitter messages come to you via a text message on your phone?
    If so, not for me, as I don’t de text messaging.

Do they come as email messages?
    Perhaps this is more timnely than the rss feed, which is daily.

I do visit the web site regularly, and get the skeptical science news accumulator (whatever it is called).

There is certainly a lot of information to keep up with.

13. Tom Carlson says:

Don’t forget to WUPHF too! And cover all the bases.

14. Prokaryotes says:

Peter Bellin, get yourself a smartphone and install twitter there. Then just sign up at twitter and have a lot of fun times! You will soon learn that it is much nicer to have your newspaper on a tablet.