I am re-recycling RecycleBank’s 10 romantic ways to green your Valentine’s Day:
1. Set your morning in motion by sharing a pot of fairly traded and organically grown coffee. After all, you will want to keep the night young.
2. Since Valentine’s Day lands on Saturday, skip the power shower and enjoy a soak for two”¦ and save water that way.
[Hmm. That never resulted in less water use in my younger days....]
3. Get enlightened this year with his and hers, or hers and hers, or his and his (well you get the point) CFL’s [or LEDs]. While saving tons of energy, they last up to 8 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
4. A rose is a rose is a rose “¦ but is it fairly traded-and how far did it travel to get to your door? There is an abundance of organic, veriflora certified and fairly traded floral options, all perfect gifts.
5. Sweets for your sweetie? Organic and fairly traded cocoa options are sure to send that extra message of sincerity.
6. On this holiday, over one billion cards are sent worldwide. Translation: Save the Trees! Create your own card from recycled goods in your home. After all, it’s not the card, but the sentiment that counts.
7. Enjoy the outdoors. Make a snow-person together. Walk on the beach. Take a hike. Picnic in front of a gorgeous sunset. Or just lie on your backs and count the stars. It’s totally carbon free, healthy and romantic.
8. Make a candlelit homemade dinner for two. There is nothing greener than going local, so stop at your local farmers’ market and buy fresh and organic goodies.
9. Forget red or white; go for a bottle of “green” wine. There’s organic wine for whatever kind of mood you’re in “¦ from Shiraz to chardonnay.
10. To end the night, choose organic cotton, bamboo and linen sheets, towels, duvets and comforters.
RecycleBank bills itself as “a rewards program that motivates people to recycle by quickly and easily measuring the amount of material each home recycles and then converting that activity into RecycleBank Points that can be used at hundreds of local and national rewards partners.”