House GOP brings Styrofoam back

"House GOP brings Styrofoam back"

Wonkette ran a good piece yesterday, “Earth-Raping Dictator-Supporting House GOP Brings Styrofoam Back.”  [And folks think my headlines are strong!]

I’m reposting it below — and not just because they link to CP.  It exemplifies what the House GOP are all about.

“Foamed polystyrene” is a miraculous invention that manages to be completely awful through every step of its near-eternal “life cycle” “” it is manufactured with petroleum that must be imported from Middle East dictatorships, toxic “styrene oligomers” migrate into the food it holds, it’s highly flammable and produces black poisonous smoke, and most of the 25 billion polystyrene cups tossed every year will take more than half a millennium to degrade.

And that’s why the Republican-led House of Representatives made it an immediate priority to cancel the House cafeteria’s four years of biodegradable food and beverage packaging. It’s part of the GOP leadership’s “return to the mid-1990s” program. Nancy Pelosi sure was a yucky woman trying to do some sane environmentally-minded things, wasn’t she? Thank the American Jesus that woman is no longer in charge of anything. A disgusted House staffer has shared the following eyewitness report with your Wonkette.

From: ______@mail.house.gov
To: “tips@wonkette.com”
Date: Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Subject: Bullshit styrofoam in the house cafeteria

Today the House cafeteria switched all the containers back from compostable and/or recyclable containers to styrofoam as another spit in the eye. This shit can’t be recycled, we are basically forced to throw Styrofoam in a landfill if we want to eat in the cafeteria.

Somehow this bothers me more than the EERE cuts.

Yeah, but the composting program cost money, and anything that costs money is very, very anti-American! Because money turns people into socialists and enviro-nazis or something. Also, the Koch Brothers say global warming is a Hoax! (Did you know the Koch Brothers literally bought an exhibit in the Smithsonian so they could make it say catastrophic climate change is just a happy part of every life here on Earth? It’s true! And it’s at the National Museum of Natural History, today! Kids, stop worrying! Another species might replace you in 165 million years! (Maybe a smarter species?)

It is morally okay to litter this Koch exhibit at the National Museum of Natural History with greasy styrofoam containers from the House cafeteria.

Anyway, more than a hundred American cities and counties have banned polystyrene food packaging “” that means, “It’s illegal to use polystyrene food packaging,” because that is what people with brains do when they’ve recognized a problem, such as “the oceans are filled with bits of styrofoam coffee cups, forever.” And now the U.S. Capitol has proudly stepped back in time so that the fat-ass corrupt corporate lackeys of the Koch Brothers can report back to their masters that they really showed those treehuggers this time. [Washington Post]

It is also morally okay to pile up greasy styrofoam containers and coffee cups at the door of Boehner’s offices. Please send us pictures when you chuck your anusburger plate into the speaker’s lobby!

– Ken Layne, reposted from Wonkette

17 Responses to House GOP brings Styrofoam back

1. Alex Mac says:

Really I feel sorry for you Americans. It sounds like your political class is hell bent on bringing you back to the last century. Really you have my sympathy but I wish you were living on another planet.

2. It is so lightweight. Styrofoam can be sent with very little postage. I wonder if I can put a stamp right on the cup.

3. David Smith says:

It might be more effective to deliver the refuse to the speaker’s front yard on, say, a daily basis; A drive-by trash dump to annoy the speaker and his neighbors… consequenses.

4. Alan Gregory says:

Sure, it could be mailed through the U.S. Postal Service. But that’s assuming that the House GOPers haven’t shut down the USPS (and some post offices, too).

5. 350 Now says:

How appropriate. Styrofoam is ivory white, created by foreign oil, pumped with hot air and whose impact will last a thousand years.

Just like many of the right wing, conservative Grimy Oil Party members…

If there is a Hell, and if there is Justice in the universe, maybe these blubbering fools will suffer as styrofoam cups are burned for eternity in their special little corner of Hell for the environmental crimes committed against humanity in the name of the Almighty Dollar.

Should the cafe also feature a line of lollipops known as koch suckers?

6. Jay Alt says:

I assume Boehner will reverse the smoking ban that was extended into new areas by Pelosi.

And maybe next year the GOP can reinstall asbestos insulation in the piopes above their offices.

7. RadGal70 says:

So all the Dems and their staff members should start bringing their own ceramic coffee cups – that’s what we’ve done at my school. We all grumbled for a week and now it’s habit. It will continue to save waste and poke the Republicans in the eye. Heck – they could even have cups made that say something about caring for the planet.

8. Villabolo says:

@1 Alex Mac:

“Really I feel sorry for you Americans. It sounds like your political class is hell bent on bringing you back to the last century.”

You mean the century before last?

9. Mulga Mumblebrain says:

Villabolo #8, he means the ‘last’ century as in the final century, or part thereof, of humanity.

10. Alex Mac says:

@8 Villablo and @9 Mulga,

I really was referring to the 20th century as in 1910 but your interpretations are valid as well. Fast forward to the past indeed.

11. The level of debate is becoming more tense. With the GOP in the US and our opposition here is Oz ramping up the tension, it seems the is building anger on both sides.

I know I am feeling more fed up than before.

12. Susan Anderson says:

yup, they want to roll back Roosevelt, bring back the 6 day workweek without overtime, child labor, get rid of worker safety, all to make a quick buck for their friends. Keeps them in office, see.

13. Susan Anderson says:

PS, I’m with RadGal. After 20 years of bringing my own bags, I no longer have to explain to the checker that I don’t want them lined with plastic, so I guess that’s progress.

14. jyyh says:

So, what’s GOPs’ next move in the congress, introduce waterboarding rooms for non-compliant democrats?

15. Hmpf says:

Wow. They really are determined to draw *everything* down to the level of kindergarten politics, aren’t they?

16. Jim Groom says:

Are they really determined to draw everything down to kindergarten level? Perhaps pre-school is more like it. I’m nearly 70 and for the first time in my life I actually fear for the future my grandson will inherit. Our congress is a discrace and full of spoiled children. This new bunch of potties keep coming up with simple solutions to complicated solutions proving beyond doubt that they have no idea of what they are doing. Of course I blame the rubes who voted them into office in the first place. I hope our democracy can survive the next two years before, hopefully, buyers remorse sets in and some proper public servants are sent to Washington. I can hope can’t I?