2011 Steve Schneider Symposium Will Be Webcast

By Joe Romm on August 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

"2011 Steve Schneider Symposium Will Be Webcast"

I will be speaking Saturday afternoon at the 2011 Steve Schneider Symposium in Boulder, Colorado.  The whole event, from the 25th (tomorrow) to the 27th will be live webcast here.  The agenda is here.  You can still register for it here.

Schneider, who died in July of last year, was one of the truly important voices in climate science of our time.  For over three decades, he had been researching and speaking out on the need to sharply and quickly reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

He was a coauthor of a 2010 study that reaffirmed the broad scientific understanding of climate change and questioned the media’s reliance on a tiny group of less-credibile scientists for “balance.”  The video above is an interview he gave on that study.

Here is more on the Symposium and the man:

The primary aims of the Symposium are: 1) To pay tribute to Steve Schneider’s contributions to climate science, and to evaluate the  historical significance of these contributions; 2) To identify key challenges for the future — in climate science, in the development of meaningful climate policies, and in climate science communication — and possible ways to address these challenges.

This Symposium will be more than a celebration of the scientific accomplishments of Steve Schneider. Our intent is to bring together scientists, science communicators, policymakers, students, and friends of Steve, and to harness the intellectual and creative energy in this group. We believe that the Symposium participants can make significant progress on some of the issues Steve Schneider cared about. Such progress would be the best-possible tribute to Steve.

Further details of the Symposium are available at the Symposium website:

At RealClimate, Ben Santer had a long eulogy, which I excerpt:

Today the world lost a great man. Professor Stephen Schneider – a climate scientist at Stanford University – passed away while on travel in the United Kingdom.

Stephen Schneider did more than any other individual on the planet to help us realize that human actions have led to global-scale changes in Earth’s climate. Steve was instrumental in focusing scientific, political, and public attention on one of the major challenges facing humanity – the problem of human-caused climate change.

Some climate scientists have exceptional talents in pure research. They love to figure out the inner workings of the climate system. Others have strengths in communicating complex scientific issues to non-specialists. It is rare to find scientists who combine these talents.

Steve Schneider was just such a man….

We honor the memory of Steve Schneider by continuing to fight for the things he fought for – by continuing to seek clear understanding of the causes and impacts of climate change. We honor Steve by recognizing that communication is a vital part of our job. We honor Steve by taking the time to explain our research findings in plain English. By telling others what we do, why we do it, and why they should care about it. We honor Steve by raising our voices, and by speaking out when powerful “forces of unreason” seek to misrepresent our science. We honor Steve Schneider by caring about the strange and beautiful planet on which we live, by protecting its climate, and by ensuring that our policymakers do not fall asleep at the wheel.

Schneider was a great inspiration to me, someone I learned a great deal from, and one of my heroes.  I’m honored to be able to speak at his symposium.

Tags:

‹ PREVIOUS
Tar Sands Action Day Five: Gulf Coast Residents Fight To Prevent New Oil Disaster

NEXT ›
Clean Energy May Be China’s “Historic Opportunity” to Surpass America and Become The Next Technology Superpower

7 Responses to 2011 Steve Schneider Symposium Will Be Webcast

1. halfacow says:

Do you know if videos of these talks will make their way on to the internet?

2. Richard Brenne says:

Now I’m torn because I’d like to be arrested at the White House and in Boulder at the same time when obligations keep me sadly on the West Coast.

Many of the folks speaking and moderating are friends (who fortunately I just saw, though we missed skiing together this year), but reading the abstracts the two must-hear talks are Naomi Oreskes’ and Joe’s.

And I’ll always remember and treasure my first conversation with Steve about climate change in 1988 and subsequent lessons from the master polymath, which I’d always assumed before meeting Steve was a parrot who could count.

3. Eric says:

Strawman, cliche I know, argument. Of course Co2 will make the atmosphere warmer-the question is by how much. It’s all down to sensitivity. The great round table knights of IPCC scientist which there are about 12 not 1500 have gotten it wrong so far according to their own models. For a doubling of Co2 we’re looking at a 1 C. increase anomaly temperature wise. Not the 2 to 7 which they predict. Data is data, can’t argue with it.

• Chris Winter says:

If you say that doubling CO2 will cause only a 1°C rise in temperature, that’s not data; that’s another prediction since CO2 has not yet doubled in concentration.

And I notice you don’t provide a source.

4. Chris Winter says:

Dr. Schneider’s Web site remains online. It is currently being redesigned by Stanford University. Some great information on climate science is available there, but I think the best part is the section on “mediarology” — meaning “The Roles of Citizens, Journalists, and Scientists in Debunking Climate Change Myths.”

See it here:

And there’s my small contribution:

5. I’ve been listening to (and watching as many of the talks at the symposium as I can. As I am not a scientist, some of it is getting by me, but a range of issues are covered and my understanding of specific topics and the scientist’s approach has increased dramatically because of this relatively small commitment of time. I would recommend others do the same.

6. blogs4bytes says:

Virtual Events: The New Order of the Future
    The hands of virtual events furthermore inculcate hundreds & thousands of live attendees, speakers, etc exhibit for an audience not limited to physical boundaries but well beyond global salespeople driving in to new markets & opportunities to play their products & solutions and thus allowing attendees to save a fortune on their travel expenses.