Obama: “Any Effort to Tie Keystone to the Payroll Tax Cut, I Will Reject”

"Obama: “Any Effort to Tie Keystone to the Payroll Tax Cut, I Will Reject”"

Obama unveils new border rulesPolitico reports this news coming from President Obama’s joint appearance with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper:

“Any effort to tie Keystone to the payroll tax cut, I will reject. So everybody can be on notice,” Obama said in a warning to Congressional Republicans.

“If the payroll tax cut is attached to a whole bunch of extraneous issues, not related to making sure that the American people’s taxes don’t go up on January 1, then it’s not something that I’m going to accept. I don’t expect to have to veto it because I expect they’re going to have enough sense over on Capitol Hill to do the people’s business and not try to load it up with a bunch of politics,” Obama said.

House Speaker John Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck fires back:  “We are working on a bill to stop a tax hike, protect Social Security, reform unemployment insurance, and create jobs. If President Obama threatens to veto it over a provision that creates American jobs, that’s a fight we’re ready to have.”

It would appear Obama is eager for this fight, since it pits the 99% who benefit from the payroll tax with the 1% who benefit from the tar sands pipeline.

15 Responses to Obama: “Any Effort to Tie Keystone to the Payroll Tax Cut, I Will Reject”

1. Joan Savage says:

And that I’m guessing that 1% is referring to investors, not jobs.

Even TransCanada’s most inflated claims for new jobs was for a million, otherwise known as a third of one percent of the US population.
    Media Matters investigated TransCanada’s claims that the pipeline would generate between 20,000 and a million jobs, and Media Matters reported that the pipeline might lead instead to a net loss of jobs.

• Artful Dodger says:

… someone should mention that Keystone XL will also lead to an increase in fuel prices, as West Texas crude prices equalizes with Brent (North Sea) crude. It’s about a 10% increase in fuel cost for those 99%r’s.

However, for the 1%r’s it is a far greater increase in profit, since the increase in their margin is proportionally greater. Nice to be rich in America. Sux 2b poor.

2. Nick Berini says:

I think this study should probably be reference any time the jobs claim is made around keystone xl.

3. Colorado Bob says:

Big Oil had a confab last week in the Gulf, as in Persian. I heard a new buzz word from them “alternative oil”.

Tar Sands = Alternative Oil
    The Baken Tight Oil = Alternative Oil.
    Drilling in 10,000 feet of water = Alternative Oil

• Colorado Bob says:

It’s dawning on the oil people that they have found another golden goose. I ran off and joined an oil boom. I read a lot it’s history. They have found with hydro-fracking the key to oil that was never on the books when I was scaring the wildlife looking for oil.

Exibit A -
      Dickenson , North Dakota right now, you can drive an oil field service truck, and make $80,000 dollars a year. The catch is you have to sleep on the WalMart parking lot.

• Colorado Bob says:

There are very good data sets from when I was drilling , that have been washed through this computer revolution, because my rush off to an American Boom was fueled by some computer geeks at a small oil company in Denver in the 70′s.

So believe me when I tell you, if they say they found 17 Billion barrels under North Dakota, …… I believe them .

• Colorado Bob says:

It’s not just hydro-fracking, it’s directional drilling, and 3-D seismic .

With this they can attack the oil shale in the west . If we’ve burnt 1/3 of the total carbon we can get, we now can tap the next 1/3,….. hence the name ” Alternative Oil”.

The tall blonde in the oil well elevator will be telling us about it soon on CNN.

• Colorado Bob says:

Everybody get their head around that , peak oil is pushed back. There’s zillions of tons of shale all over the earth they we can now drill and crack, and have hydro-carbons flow to a pipe.

• Colorado Bob says:

”Alternative Oil”
            They aren’t lying when they make is claim, this is well and truly ” Alternative Oil”.

Col. Drake would have made a dry oil if he had hit the Bakken shale.

• Mulga Mumblebrain says:

What’s the Energy Return on Energy Invested of these shales? We can leave out ‘externalities’ like destroying the planet’s habitability for upright, uptight, upstart hominids for the time being.

4. Christopher S. Johnson says:

I don’t understand. What does Congress have to do with Keystone XL? This doesn’t make sense. It’s under POTUS and State Dept. authority, right?

• Nick Berini says:

Some (most?) republicans would like a keystone xl approval attached to the payroll tax in order to vote for it.

“You can help the middle class but only if we get this big concession for our rich oil folks.”

And people say they don’t compromise!

5. Spike says:

Naomi Klein on Obama and climate in the NYT

“Shock Doctrine, as I define it, is a purely opportunistic, anti-democratic tactic, designed not to solve problems but to exploit them. We are trying to solve the problems, at their root. Moreover, I would argue that Obama won an electoral mandate in 2008 for serious climate action, and simply lacked the courage and commitment to follow through with the leadership necessary to turn his promises into policy. He can blame Congress, but we know he has never led, so we don’t know what real leadership would have produced.”

• Mulga Mumblebrain says:

Obama was conning the patsies when he promised climate action. The chances of this wholly owned piece of elite property (as he has been since talent spotted in college) going against the greatest business interest in human history were zero, then, now and until the end of time (coming soon).