Symphony Of Science: Climate Change, Our Biggest Challenge

By Stephen Lacey

"Symphony Of Science: Climate Change, Our Biggest Challenge"

John D. Boswell, the man who created the fantastic Symphony of Science series, just released a new video on climate change. The piece mixes together quotes from Bill Nye, David Attenborough, Richard Alley, and Isaac Asimov, into a delicious musical sound-bite highlighting climate science and solutions. I hope this makes your Monday morning more enjoyable:

‹ Banking On The States For Clean Energy Innovation

Climate Scores: See How Your Federal Lawmakers Are Voting On Global Warming ›

7 Responses to Symphony Of Science: Climate Change, Our Biggest Challenge

1. Mike Roddy says:

Good one, that will reach the idealistic among us.

Some of us more grizzled folks have a darker view. The best thing that could happen to drive change would be a movie featuring fossil fuel company executives in all of their villainy, manipulating Congress and the media.

There is a reason why movies like The Godfather are so popular, and why so many war buffs and historians are endlessly fascinated by Hitler. The dark side is cinematic, and reaches us on complex and primal levels.

There are also reasons why this movie has not been made. We no longer have Graham Greene or Orson Welles. Movie studios have banking relationships, which means tentacles to fossil fuel companies and investors. Movie villains must now be aliens, or set in a distant future or past.

Americans, like latter day fat and carousing Romans, have lost our edge. Our creative people need to step up here, and soon. And somebody outside the studios needs to fund this movie, which will make a fortune. If Gore’s dorky documentary can move the needle, just imagine what a great movie could do.

2. prokaryotes says:

Great! I am a big fan of Symphony of the Science, really important work and nicely done.

3. love anything getting the message out! One quibble- the quote ‘The problems attacking us’ is used 3 times. Climate change is not ‘a problem attacking us’- it is a situation we have created. Languaging can be important and mustering the humility necessary to acknowledge the reality of the situation is a part of the process!

4. Bob McLaughlin says:

I strongly agree with David Goldstein. To use an example which occurs frequently to emphasize his point: it is no different than when a rapist is reported to have tearfully said to a victim, prior to sentencing,”I’m sorry for what happened.”, rather than “…for what I did to you.”

5. Brian R Smith says:

Great creative stuff. Didn’t know about Symphony of the Science. Definitely made my climate-dependent cup of coffee more enjoyable.

But only for a minute, because if the nation doesn’t get a major MSM warning SOON from the world science community on the climate and ecological crisis, and if influential climate advocates don’t start working together SOON to lead the public perception on what is necessary…isolated bits, no matter how clever or viral or added to all the other incremental bits will not move the needle in any serious way.

Fun & catchy is tension relieving and helpful to some, but not for long. There is bigger problem to solve with messaging and an implied responsibility for climate advocates to solve it. Unity. God how I wish there was effective unity on this side. We are cooked without it.

6. Lou Grinzo says:

I have to admit to being deeply conflicted over things like SoS and the clip above.

On the one hand, anything at all that gets the message out that CC is real and a mind-blowingly serious threat to modern human civilization is unarguably a good thing.

But… the situation is so serious that we’re faced with an incredibly difficult task, namely getting across enough material to fill a one-semester college class. and doing so in a 3:49 video or a bumper sticker. I know that a lot of people will argue that I’m insisting on too much, that we can boil the situation down to a much shorter, punchier message. I would dearly love to see someone show me how to do that without watering down the urgency to the point of worse-than-uselessness or making a list of claims which are true but will be perceived as just more hot air from a “special interest” by those not already engaged on the topic.

As I’ve pointed out here and on my own site and other places many times, one of the most shocking and depressing things you can do is talk to a mainstreamer who is “concerned” about CC, someone who is clearly not a denier, and tell him or her about the hideously long atmospheric lifetime of CO2. In at least 95% of the times I’ve done this, the person gets wide-eyed and makes a knee-jerk statement like, “Are you sure???”, “Holy s*** we’re screwed!”, etc. Even the vast majority of the people “on our side” don’t have a bloody clue how bad things really are.

The only person I know of connecting ALL the dots (aside from Joe), from CO2 emissions through CC and water-energy-climate-food nexus interactions to mass migrations caused by starvation and even to failed states is Lester Brown. It sickens me to think that that’s where we’re headed, but I can’t argue with the science or Brown’s dot connecting.

• prokaryotes says:

What has this to do with a song in the pop culture? Once something reaches the mainstream, it can be considered to got attention / acknowledgement.

Even a bad song on climate change is a good song on climate change.

Here is my take

Music is important to help break down a complex problem and a great messaging tool. Just think of rain dance and how fas reaching music – dance – weather the climate are rooted in our ancestors history…