While every major denier blog has seen stagnating or declining traffic, Climate Progress had its best year yet in 2012. Overall, traffic is up 30% to 50% on most days.
The reasons for the growth are clear: The partnership with ThinkProgress and the rapid growth of our following on social media — something the deniers have utterly failed to match. I guess they are anti-social as well as anti-science!
Social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, plus mobile devices, are our most rapidly growing sources of traffic. Social media is particularly effective at disseminating headlines, which are the most important part of any blog post, as I discuss in my book Language Intelligence.
The power of social media is clear from a brief review of our most widely viewed posts, which are inevitably the ones that get the most retweets on Twitter and most “Likes” on Facebook. Climate Progress gets a level of retweets and Likes typically seen on websites with far higher nominal traffic.
Given that 2012 was a very lively presidential election year, it’s no surprise that the top post was:
- Mitt Romney: Federal Disaster Relief For Tornado And Flood Victims Is “Immoral,” “Makes No Sense At All”
That post had more than 100,000 page views — and a remarkable 3570 retweets and 43,000+ likes. The retweets alone mean that the headline probably went to more than 1 million people through Twitter. When you throw in Facebook and search engines, plus the hundreds of reposts and excerpts by news aggregators, I wouldn’t be surprised if that headline was seen by more than 2 million people.
Climate science came in a close second with this post:
- Bombshell: Koch-Funded Study Finds ‘Global Warming Is Real’, ‘On The High End’ And ‘Essentially All’ Due To Carbon Pollution
That piece also had more than 100,000 page views — plus 1735 retweets and more than 8,900 Likes!
Here are the other top posts of the year:
- Meet Paul Ryan: Climate Denier, Conspiracy Theorist, Koch Acolyte (2600 retweets, 10k Likes)
- Koch Industries Warns 45,000 Employees Of ‘Consequences’ If They Don’t Vote For Republicans (24k Likes)
- Vermont Becomes First U.S. State To Ban Fracking
- Nature Publishes My Piece on Dust-Bowlification and the Grave Threat It Poses to Food Security
- A Message From A Republican Meteorologist On Climate Change
- Romney Visits Iowa ‘Farmer’ Who Is Also A Millionaire Real Estate Mogul With A Spaceship House And Personal Car Wash (7k Likes)
- After Documents Show Paul Ryan Secured $20 Million In Stimulus Grants, He Claims ‘I Never Asked For Stimulus’ (3060 retweets, 6.4k Likes)
- ‘Hug The Monster’: Why So Many Climate Scientists Have Stopped Downplaying the Climate Threat
- Hurricane Sandy: The Worst-Case Scenario For New York City Is Unimaginable
- NBC Meteorologist On Record Heat Wave: ‘If We Did Not Have Global Warming, We Wouldn’t See This’
Even that last post, the 12th most viewed Climate Progress post of 2012, had 1330 retweets and 2.9k Likes, and the headline may well have been seen by over one million people!