I Heart Climate Scientists!

"I Heart Climate Scientists!"

Valentine’s Day is the day to say I Heart Climate Scientists.

We heart you, and we’re happy to shout that fact louder than a Japanese husband!

We know that you work long, long hours to bring the best climate data and analysis to our attention in the fervent, if naive, hope that we won’t keep ignoring your increasingly dire warnings (see Lonnie Thompson on why climatologists are speaking out: “Virtually all of us are now convinced that global warming poses a clear and present danger to civilization”).

Yes, haters are gonna hate — and apparently harass and threaten, too — but they are just the fanatical few. The rest of us heart you — and cerebrum you, too!

We know you aren’t doing this for the money because, if you were, you seriously picked the wrong profession. And we know that you aren’t part of an elaborate hoax because as smart as you are, nobody could fool all of the world’s leading science organizations and science journals and governments (well, maybe the governments, but still).

And like all the people we heart, we know — we really, really do know deep down inside — that we should be listening to you and that we are headed toward the biggest “I told you so” in human history.

If you heart scientists, too, share the love on Facebook.

h/t I f’ing love science

11 Responses to I Heart Climate Scientists!

1. The reality is what you are saying. Science is not what we know, it is what we challenge for, there is no end.

2. Cult Fetish Cult
    Learn to love yourself
    with Co2 tax dividends

We are taking 3 separate surefire ways to mass extinction.
    1) Co2 to air — polar methane motherlode ends life
    2) Co2 to oceans – did 4 of 5 mass extinctions
    3) Us on land – hit 50% land impact = food web disintegration.

3. M Tucker says:

YES! I would like to express my deep respect and admiration, and love too, for all scientists with a special shout-out for climate scientists. Dr Tyson is right, the charlatans are abroad in the land…be prepared.

Since a new year has begun, and being a number nut too, I would like to mention just a few of my favorite dates: 2/12 Darwin Day (not too late to celebrate), 3/14 Einstein Day and the first Pi Day, 7/22 (or 22/7 in European notation) the second Pi Day that I just learned about from a math blogger. You can’t have too many days to celebrate by eating pie.

4. John Cartmill says:

Big Love to Dr’s Hansen, Mann and Hayhoe.
    It is unbelievable to me the crap they have to put up with for just doing Climate research.

And of course to my favorite advocates and bloggers: Joe Romm, Peter Sinclair, John Abraham, Gail Zawacki, Bill McKibben plus countless other climate hawks.

5. catman306 says:

Cas·san·dra (k-sndr)
    n.
    1. Greek Mythology A daughter of Priam, the king of Troy, endowed with the gift of prophecy but fated by Apollo never to be believed.
    2. One that utters unheeded prophecies.

Of course, science makes predictions not prophecies.

• Joan Savage says:

I came across a translation of what are called the Hopi prophecies. I don’t really have an independent basis to say if they were authentic.

The forecasts weren’t tied at all to a strict linear time line, instead it was a decision tree.

If people do so much of thus-and-thus, then such-and-such eventually follows, basically irreversible tipping points or decision forks.

Maybe those could be called predictions, rather than prophecies.

• Mulga Mumblebrain says:

Seems like the Hopi kept the rational and sane in charge, unlike our sad excuse for a civilization.

6. Cheers for this Joe! We need more such things in the media. An I heart scientists/science day would be great as well (not having to share with Valentine’s). Who knows? Maybe Galileo’s birthday?

7. Rabid Doomsayer says:

A special thanks to James Hansen, who has spoken sooner and louder than all.

8. Paul Klinkman says:

Climate technologists feel left out.

It’s true that many climate scientists have gone through an awful lot of money-driven baloney with their college presidents, who have been promised more money if that guy will just shut up. For that, as a group they deserve praise.