Forward on Climate And Solidarity Rallies Sunday

"Forward on Climate And Solidarity Rallies Sunday"

I will be at “the largest climate rally in U.S. history” in Washington, DC Sunday (details here). I’ll be tweeting, and, later, CP will have some stories on it.

I hope you can make it to the National Mall, February 17, Noon – 4:00 p.m.– but if you can’t,  there are a bunch of solidarity rallies (full details here):

Carry on, carry on!

Tags:

18 Responses to Forward on Climate And Solidarity Rallies Sunday

1. Henry says:

Nothing even close to the Northeast? What gives?

2. Leif says:

I live in the NW but stand in solidarity with the marchers. My letter to the President today: Yours?

“Slavery” is alive and well right here in the USA. Please give me another word for a capitalistic system that pays a minimum wage to millions, lower than average living costs? Is not poor access to food, health care and housing torture in every sense of the word? How about a government that taxes me to provide profits to others directly working to destroy Earth’s Life Support Systems? The GOP do not fund abortion. Fine. A precedent. Why must progressives fund the ecocide of the planet via subsidies to the Fossil Barons? Corporations, Corpro/People, are people now. How come the special treatment? “We the People” will be fined for throwing a paper cup out the car window. ($1,000 in AK. you would be impeached if caught!) Yet Corpro/People dump 19 pounds of toxins out the exhaust of commerce and get rich! Privatized profits and socialized loses is a failed paradigm.

It is “Slavery” in every sense of the word, (the very least “Indentured Servants”?), when one segment of society is in a life and death bondage to another which prevents escape of the first.

3. Eric Timar says:

Bedford Falls presente! (in DC)

4. Eric Timar says:

Whoa, I thought my handle was Bedford Falls?? Cat out of bag now.

5. The biggest protest in history was against the Iraq war. Mother Nature does not care about the XL pipeline. They have contingency plans for XL failure. Stopping XL will not stop the tar sands. We have to stop all coal, oil and gas world wide as soon as possible. When the pipeline gets approval there will be 1 million despondent kids running around. All for nothing.

6. Joan Savage says:

The last time I rallied in DC in 2011, I contracted a virus that overpowered my impaired immune system for over a month, so this time I am staying home. Instead I wrote the President as follows:

Mr. President,

I won’t be able to be at the rally on the Mall in Washington on February 17, but I was at Lafayette Park in November 2011 to let you know I didn’t want the Keystone XL pipeline.

Climate change is coming at us, with a momentum that is getting harder and harder to brake.

I want you to see the strength and depth of support for fighting the horrific consequences of greenhouse gases.

I’ll be there in spirit tomorrow.

7. jk says:

If you’re not having any luck with the Austin link in the article, try this one:

Sunday at 2 in front of Whole Foods at 6th and Lamar.

8. Here’s one in Salem, Oregon that somebody posted on Dot Earth.

Hi Philip, We are having a Forward on Climate Solidarity Rally here in Salem, OR on Sunday. Come on down. Details here:

9. Thanks, Joe! We just added a bunch more to the list, too – there are now events in Maine, Arkansas, more Montana, New Mexico, and more Washington, as well!

10. Tyler Jonson says:

What about for expats?! We need to organize worldwide although I understand the difficulties. I’ll be home next summer though to involve myself in the movement fully. Good luck to everyone that can make it!

11. RHunt says:

Today’s Event in St. Louis, Missouri:
    A Teach-In on Global Trade and Climate Change
    Join the St Louis Roundtable on Extractive Industries on
    Sunday, February 17th, 2013
    12:30 – 4:00 pm.

Learn about the intersection of tar sands, pipelines, trade agreements, climate disruption, and greed.

An event in solidarity with the #Forward on Climate Rally in DC

with 350.org, Sierra Club & Hip Hop Nation.

Forest Park Visitor’s Center

5595 Grand Drive in Forest Park, St Louis, MO 63112

Just east of the Missouri History Museum

South of the Forest Park Metro Station

Find more information here

Register at http://goo.gl/Jh4Nx

$5 suggested donation

This event is brought to you by: Joining Hands Action Team of the Presbytery of Giddings-Lovejoy, The Inter-Faith Committee on Latin America, Missouri Coalition for the Environment, Climate Action Saint Louis, Missourians Organizing for Reform and Empowerment, Gateway

12. Geronimo says:

The United States is the global icon for democracy and human rights. Through climate change we must implement that same vision of leadership and other countries will follow. Canada, are you paying attention?
    Georonimo

13. John Cartmill says:

Just got home from DC rally.
    Crowd was great. 35,000 in a cold wind.
    McKibben was dynamic and inspiring as was Sen Whitehouse.

14. Just back to where we are staying in DC. It was a great – but cold – day! They are now saying the crowd was 40,000. Lots of singing, dancing, chanting. Also lots of news cameras and helicopters. Someone told me CSPAN covered it live for quite a while. This time it really felt like the beginning of a movement bringing all kinds of people and organizations together to work for a better world – not just stopping the Keystone XL pipeline, but going fossil fuel free, expanding clean energy, and fighting for social justice for all.

15. Ozonator says:

Southeast of Easter Island was a correct AGW quake prediction under the Simon Bolivar Model. It was in the “Simon Bolivar Model (217 – 23/13) … southeast of Easter Island (5+)” region under 2/17-23/13, in the 1st week of 3, and exceeded the 4.5 Richter minimum. The mostly good people with unfriendly user web maps at the USGS reported with poorly colored numbers and letters, the technically major quake – Magnitude Richters … Date … Region: “4.6 … 2013/02/22 … SOUTHEAST OF EASTER ISLAND” (earthquake.usgs.gov).

There were 2 correct of 19 predicted AGW volcanic regions with 2 correct of 8 reported, under 2/17 – 23/13 for the start of the 1st week. As of 2/20/13, Reporting Period 2/17 – 23/13, 1st reporting – volcanoes were reported (“Smithsonian / USGS Weekly Volcanic Activity Report”; volcano.si.edu/reports/usgs): CLEVELAND Chuginadak Island, Aleutians; SAKURA-JIMA Kyushu;
    BATU TARA Komba Island, Indonesia; POPOCATEPETL México; FUEGO Guatemala; KILAUEA Hawaii; STROMBOLI Aeolian Islands; and ETNA Sicily.