"High School Science Teacher Investigated For Using Word ‘Vagina’, Showing Clip Of ‘An Inconvenient Truth’"

Turns out “climate change” isn’t the only thing you can’t say in Idaho biology class.

The headline grabber, as Raw Story covered it, was “Idaho teacher investigated for saying ‘vagina’ during biology lesson.” That would be Tim McDaniel, who has been teaching in the Dietrich, Idaho biology department for almost two decades. Here’s the part of the Twin-Falls’s Times-News story that is germane to Climate Progress:

According to McDaniel, the commission is also investigating a complaint that accuses him of using school property to promote a political candidate. The complaint was because he showed the climate change film “An Inconvenient Truth,” also in his science class. McDaniel said he includes the film to spark a discussion on climate change among the students. After watching the film, he asks students to write a response paper explaining their thoughts on climate change. “I’m not looking for one answer, I just want them to be able to explain what they believe,” he said.

How do you stop a teacher from showing one of the most popular documentaries of all time? Assert Al Gore is a political candidate. I wonder where they teach people to come up with that kind of logic.
Students have set up a “SAVE THE SCIENCE TEACHER!!” Facebook page and online petition here.

9 Responses to High School Science Teacher Investigated For Using Word ‘Vagina’, Showing Clip Of ‘An Inconvenient Truth’

1. prokaryotes says:

The made up witch hunt, attacking the messenger. This is so desperate and ignorant, pure stupidity.

2. Merrelyn Emery says:

Guns and violence good, sex bad: climate destruction good, science and education bad. Somebody should write book called something like ‘Animal Farm’, ME

3. Same old neo-Nazi ignoramuses crawling out of the woods to hassle science teachers.

My sister volunteered to supervise an after-school program in suburban Minneapolis, Minnesota. She had the little third graders make dream catchers by gluing popsicle sticks together and weaving yarn around them. They could take them home, hang them by their beds, and catch their dreams — then tell their parents about their dreams the next morning.

Most kids did just that. But a few parents showed up to complain that she was having the kids make a symbol of the devil.

As Forest Gump always said, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

4. Will Fox says:

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

5. Michelle M says:

Did they not notice that Al Gore is no longer a politician and is a private businessman now?

• Chris Winter says:

Not noticing things is a strategy. During the GW Bush years, Carl Pope called it “Strategic Ignorance”. He wrote a book about it.

Any day now they’ll accuse somebody of promoting Hubert Humphrey.

6. Oh my! I wouldn’t last long at that school! I’ve shown students the entire “An Inconvenient Truth” movie. I’ve brought students to see an early showing of “Chasing Ice”. I’ve shown students “Food Inc”. I discuss homosexuality with my students. And I certainly say words like “vagina” and “penis” when ever it is scientifically necessary.

7. Next they will start suspending students for using dimes in the vending machines. Can’t promote that Democratic, socialist, New deal agenda.

8. Jay Dee Are says:

The people who suspended Mr. McDaniel are pussies.