Climate Progress, Expanded And Redesigned

"Climate Progress, Expanded And Redesigned"

The Center for American Progress Action Fund is expanding Climate Progress — with several more bloggers, much more original content, and a new format that will launch Monday.

Climate Progress began 7 years ago with me posting once a day, and it grew into the most widely read climate science blog on the web with regular contributions from several CAPAF staffers and guest posters.

In 2011, Climate Progress added a Deputy Editor and became part of CAPAF’s broader Think Progress website, which itself was redesigned to maximize social media traffic (among other things). That helped us maintain traffic growth while so many other sites, and virtually every climate science denier website, flatlined.

Now we are expanding and redesigning Climate Progress again. We will be adding several new blogger-reporters and also sourcing content around the country on local climate impacts and local climate politics. We will do investigative reporting and break news. And as you’ll see Monday, the site redesign makes use of lessons learned from other high-traffic sites.

Part of the motivation is the collapse of media coverage of what is in fact the story of the century (see “Silence Of The Lambs 3: Media Coverage Of Climate Mixed In 2012, But Still Down Sharply From 2009” and “In Epic Blunder, NY Times And Washington Post All But Abandon Specialized Climate Science Coverage“).

John Podesta, CAPAF Chair, explains the move this way:

Right now, global temperatures are the highest they’ve been in 4,000 years. That’s bad news, and more terrifying still is the fact that the New York Times doesn’t seem to think global warming is news at all.

Just a few months ago, the Times announced that they’re shutting down their environmental desk. And this is just the latest example of the publications we rely on most cutting the coverage we most need.

At a time when “superstorm” has become a part of our everyday vocabulary, we can’t afford to miss out on news that is so vital to our survival….

It’s not just the Times. Climate change reporting has fallen dramatically over the past few years, which means important stories are falling through the cracks every day: From new information on climate change science to the ties between Big Oil and D.C. decision-makers to in-depth reporting on the repercussions of fracking. We’re ready to take it on. Our team is committed to not only bringing you hard-hitting investigative reporting, but making sure that this reporting leads to action and accountability. [We aim for] cutting-edge environmental coverage—sending our experienced reporters across the country, and harnessing the power of technology and crowd-sourcing to get the story out, debunk conservative misinformation, and make sure our representatives in Washington play by the rules.

If we don’t do this work, no one else will.

UPDATE: Ryan Koronowski and Kiley Kroh serve as Climate Progress deputy editors. Joanna Foster, a former contributor to the now-shuttered Green blog at The New York Times, and Ari Phillips recently joined Climate Progress as reporters. Phillips will be reporting from Australia until September. Center for American Progress Action Fund Senior Fellow Tom Kenworthy, a former reporter for USA Today and The Washington Post, will also serve as a contributor. I will keep up my previous pace of writing for CP, now as Founding Editor.

34 Responses to Climate Progress, Expanded And Redesigned

1. prokaryotes says:

Very good news!

2. Will Fox says:

Fantastic stuff :-)

Just a suggestion, but maybe you could add a forum, as well? The existing comment sections are okay – but a forum would allow for better discussions, more features, and would help to increase your traffic even more. It wouldn’t have to be complicated, just a small area with a few sections.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. This is one of my favourite sites on the web and has been hugely inspiring to me. I frequently tweet and direct people here. Keep up the excellent work!

3. Mike Roddy says:

A lot of us depend on you and Climate Progress, Joe, but you are the one we trust. Don’t let anybody muzzle you.

4. Skip Wenz says:

Hey Joe and Mike,

Writing from a remote site in Minnesota on a borrowed PC. Good comment — keep writing, Joe, and don’t get tangled up in administrating a bigger site. One can only read so much a day — better CP stays focused on the really essential issues. But, that said, I’m looking forward to the new format.

5. Robert In New Orleans says:

Several suggestions:

1. Please end the Like ThinkProgress on Facebook pop up.

2. End all pop ups especially those with a certain Koch brother.

3. No more stupid taboola ads, very obnoxious.

• catman306 says:

Do you mean Count Kochula?

• BobbyL says:

I agree the classless ads are a problem. I don’t think the NY times carries these type of trashy ads. Not as bad as The Huffington Post yet but going in the wrong direction. Looking forward to even better editorial content but if anything needs a makeover it is the ads.

6. BBHY says:

Wonderful!

7. Xenophon says:

I’m guessing WUWT and Tom Nelson were Huge inspirations to you!

Good luck with that.

8. Waiting to see it. Hope we will be able to keep the science threads and the political threads as clearly separate as possible.

9. Greatgrandma Kat says:

Good Newa Joe, I try never to miss a day on this site. We really need you, thanks for all your hard work again.

10. Jeff Huggins says:

The Most Important Things

The most important things that John Podesta, Neera Tanden, the Center for American Progress, and CP can do at this crucial stage include:

* Making sure that we progressives, Democrats, and others concerned with climate change do our very darn best to make sure that the person we nominate for president in 2016 is the best possible person to lead the country from 2017-2021 to face and address climate change. Period.

* As part of that, making sure that we vet would-be nominees (with respect to climate change) BEFORE we nominate them or assume they’ll be the nominee.

* Also as part of that, trying to enlist potentially excellent would-be nominees who might, because of their track records and positions, be the best nominee. Possibilities include Elizabeth Warren, John Kerry, Joe Biden, Al Gore, and perhaps others, along with Hillary Clinton.

* Encouraging and publicly calling on would-be nominees to be direct, clear, proactive, and forthright about their positions, ideas, and political commitments (things they promise to do if elected) regarding climate change — to the general public. To be concrete, for example, John Podesta and Neera Tanden ought to encourage and call on Hillary Clinton to lay out her position, ideas, and commitments regarding climate change.

John notes that “global temperatures are the highest they’ve been in 4,000 years. That’s bad news …”.

Well then, it’s obvious that we all should make sure that we find and nominate the best possible person to show genuine leadership regarding climate change from 2017 to 2021.

Thanks,

Jeff

11. Climate Progress strikes the right balance between the political and the scientific. It’s heart is common sense. I hope that remains as ever.

Keep your eye on the ball, Joe. Thanks for giving us a place to keep track of things and share ideas.

12. todd tanner says:

Outstanding. Best of luck, and if you ever send a reporter to Montana, make sure he or she swings by Conservation Hawks and talks to us about climate change and sportsmen. We’re seeing a ton of different impacts on our hunting & fishing, and the more publicity those impacts get, the quicker we’ll get America’s 37 million sportsmen fired up about climate change.

13. Paul Klinkman says:

There’s always a chance that the new and improved format won’t let me comment, so just in case, let me say that it has been a privilege to exchange ideas with all of you for a couple of years. See you around. If anyone knows how to give a TED talk, tell me.

14. Mike Roddy says:

A bunch of my favorite CP commenters chipped in here today. Thanks for all you have done- I hear more unusual interpretations, surprises, and new information from you than from anywhere else. I wouldn’t come here nearly as often were it not for you since, like most of us here, I already have a pretty good idea of what the science says.

15. Dirk Maas says:

I’m not following this nearly as closely as others are, but I’m surprised to hear that the media’s climate coverage has gone down. It seems to me that climate awareness is reaching a tipping point, and that climate deniers, like isolationists prior to WWII, will be overtaken by events. That doesn’t mean we can relax. I’m glad to hear that the site is being expanded.

16. Henry says:

A couple of thoughts;

1. Joe, are they phasing you out or what? It seems that since you added Ryan Koro-whats-his-name and some of his buddies you post a lot less :(
    2. Please, Please don’t let this turn into another Desmogblog type site! I don’t think we need that much of their type of content.
    3. Keep it real! I’m worried about the new traveling blogsters, I don’t think we need stories and photos from every little climate related protest etc around the country.
    Climate Progress made it’s name on it’s National (and political) coverage. Please don’t lose site of those things.
    H.

17. Will Koroluk says:

My circumstances have changed, so I rarely post nowadays, and only manage three or four visits a week to this site. But it’s still my key source for climate science.
    I realize Joe can’t do all the reporting himself, but I’d like to see more of his work, less of others’.

18. Colorado Bob says:

OK boys put this bit in you teeth :

The disaster raises big, scary questions about the safety of the underground oil extraction method being used:

The company’s operations use an “in situ” or underground extraction technology called “cyclic steam stimulation,” which involves injecting thousands of gallons of superhot, high-pressure steam into deep underground reservoirs. This heats and liquefies the hard bitumen and creates cracks through which the bitumen flows and is then pumped to the surface. …

Oil companies have said in situ methods are more environmentally friendly than the open-pit mining often associated with the Alberta oil sands, but in situ is more carbon and water-intensive.

19. Colorado Bob says:

Canada is now a 3rd world country , completely in the cats paw of big oil.
    In just a few years they will be like South America when Texaco was finished with them .
    Poisoned water everywhere, and the locals are holding the bag.

20. Colorado Bob says:

I was in an oil boom once, they do not care about the locals. You tell them they are all about to be rich, and drill the shit out of their lands. Then comes the bust, and you move on.
    Then you send in the Lawyers , and ware them down , because you have more money than God.

See John D. in the 19th century.

21. Colorado Bob says:

Please release my #19 comment.

22. Colorado Bob says:

“I was in an oil boom once”

One morning over 30 years ago my helper set 5 boxes od 60% high velocity nitropel on fire.

That night in the bar , he said :
    I was about run.
    I said :
    You’re not that fast kid.

• Colorado Bob says:

We where in a perfect bowl, and the wind was dead still. And he was careless about the gas he pumped in our cans.

Then he lite his match to smoke , when his hand reached the vapors in the bowl. Everything was on fire. We had a 250 gallon Eaton drum on fire , and it was empty.

Not a big fire, but open flame everywhere.
      Licking at everything.

23. perceptiventity says:

Thank you for all this time.
    And also hope that you can do away with abhoring advertising.

24. Mark E says:

IDEAS

#1 I beg thee, how about limiting users to three comments per article?

#2 How about an index to must-read articles?

Usually, I would share the concerns of others about eventually growing too big and losing touch with oomph. Although I still fear this, I have faith that Joe has that rare leadership ability: knowing when its time to backtrack.

Full press ahead!