"Beyond Obamacare: Rep. Steve King Wants To Repeal Everything Obama Has Ever Signed"
At a campaign event in Humboldt, Iowa, King told an audience that he is planning to sue the Obama administration over its recent decision to stop enforcing deportations of undocumented immigrants and floated a novel idea afterwards.
“King added that he’s thinking about introducing a bill, which if it became law, would repeal everything Obama has signed into law,” reports The Messenger, a local newspaper in Iowa. Such an extreme proposition would certainly do away with the biggest Republican bugaboos like Obamacare and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, but King’s “reset button” bill will come with many more casualties:
- Elimination of the Bush tax cuts. President Obama signed a bill in 2010 to extend tax cuts for all Americans. If King’s bill passed, he would raise taxes on every single taxpayer.
– Defunding of the US military. The repeal of the National Defense Reauthorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 (and 2011 and 2010) would eliminate more than $1 trillion in spending on national defense and our interests abroad.
– Relaxing security along our southern border. The Border Tunnel Prevention Act of 2012 was just one measure the Obama administration took to strengthen protection along our border with Mexico.
– Stripping Medals of Honor from 9/11 First Responders. The medals were to be displayed at the memorials of each attack site in New York, Washington DC and Pennsylvania’s countryside.
– Canceling plans to honor Ronald Reagan. President Obama signed a law authorizing funding to honor and celebrate the centennial of Ronald Reagan’s birth.
Of course, repealing Obamacare and the Recovery Act would have disastrous consequences of their own on the economy and health care system. And actually undoing things like appropriations bills are effectively impossible. But that kind of rhetoric usually plays well to King’s base.