"The 5 Most Racist Ads Of 2012"
Economic issues dominated the 2012 election season, with candidates from both parties vying to convince voters that they are more qualified to create jobs and help the economy recover. But unfortunately, some campaigns and third-party groups strayed from policy issues and relied on racism to win over voters. Below are the top 5 racist ads of the 2012:
1) In October, the Tea Party Victory Fund ran an ad suggesting that President Obama’s policies have “enslaved Americans” and showed an African American woman claiming that she received a free “Obamaphone” from the administration:
2) Former Rep. Pete Hoekstra (R-MI), who is challenging Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), ran a Super Bowl ad showing a woman in rural China speaking broken English and thanking Stabenow because “we take your jobs.” “Your economy get very weak, ours get very good,” the woman said:
3) In a stunning appeal to Islamaphobia, a group linked to former Swiftboater and birther conspiracy theorist Jerome Corsi launched a smear attack ad on a Muslim-American Congressional candidate. The spot warns that Dr. Syed Taj, the Democratic nominee in Michigan’s 11th Congressional district, wants to “advance Muslim power in America“:
4) Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-CA) is attacking Democratic challenger Raul Ruiz for participating in Native American protests during the 1990s. “Raul Ruiz attacked Thanksgiving and our American values,” the ad claimed:
5) A Super PAC ad targeting Rep. Allen West (R-FL) over his positions on women’s rights, portrayed the Tea Party Congressman in a boxing ring throwing punches at white women. The spot pictured West in boxing gloves and with a golden tooth: