Tumblr Icon RSS Icon

99 Percent Movement Targets Health Insurers, Pharmaceutical Companies

By Igor Volsky  

"99 Percent Movement Targets Health Insurers, Pharmaceutical Companies"

Share:

google plus icon

The protesters carrying out the 99 Percent Movement that started three weeks ago on Wall Street are speaking out against the political and financial system that rewards the richest 1 percent at the expense of the other 99 percent — including sectors of the powerful health care industry. As Inside Health Policy’s Sahil Kapur notices, a Sept. 30 manifesto — titled Declaration of the Occupation of New York City — specifically singles out insurers and pharmaceutical companies for spending “millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance” and blocking “generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.”

‹ Health Insurance & Drug Company Lobbyists Pledge $3 Million ‘Grassroots’ Health Reform Repeal Effort

Ron Paul: Greater Access To Birth Control Makes A ‘Mockery’ Of Christians ›

By clicking and submitting a comment I acknowledge the ThinkProgress Privacy Policy and agree to the ThinkProgress Terms of Use. I understand that my comments are also being governed by Facebook, Yahoo, AOL, or Hotmail’s Terms of Use and Privacy Policies as applicable, which can be found here.