"Justiceline — June 1, 2011"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Justice Samuel Alito participated in a case involving ABC Inc. despite the fact that he owned stock in Disney, ABC’s parent company.
- A transgendered woman in Texas is appealing a judge’s decision denying her death benefits after the death of her husband.
- Andrew Cohen highlights the reasons to hope that yesterday’s material witness decision doesn’t mean complete impunity for government officials who abuse their authority.
- The Affordable Care Act goes to court again today, in the United States Court of Appeal for the Sixth Circuit. The judges have hinted strongly that they will dismiss the case on procedural grounds.
- Justice Stephen Breyer had an accident.
- The L.A. Times publishes some jerk named “Ian Millhiser.”
- And finally, Obama condoms aren’t just “the ultimate stimulus package for hard times,” they’re also protected by the First Amendment.