"Justiceline: July 11, 2011"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- The Obama Administration makes the completely obvious claim that a Balanced Budget Amendment — the worst idea in Washington — is not necessary.
- Speaking of terrible ideas, goldbug Sens. Jim DeMint (R-SC), Mike Lee (R-UT) and Rand Paul (R-KY) are looking for backdoor ways to bring back the gold standard.
- California Gov. Jerry Brown backs an effort to strike down his state’s anti-affirmative action Proposition 209.
- A Kansas doctor is trying to become the only abortion provider in Wichita, Kansas — and she’s receiving death threats for it.
- Voting rights supporters filed a lawsuit to get a voter ID amendment removed from the ballot.
- Today’s scary thought: Justice Thomas has served two decades on the Supreme Court, and he is still a relatively young justice.