Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Congratulations to the many same sex couples in New York who got married this weekend!
- A federal judge in Minnesota reduced an outlandish penalty of $62,500 per song against a woman who illegally downloaded just 24 songs to a merely offensive penalty of $2,250 per song, holding that the first penalty had “no reasonable relationship to the damage caused.”
- If you want a job in the Obama Administration, don’t become a law professor.
- South Korea enacts a law allowing sex offenders to be chemically castrated.
- Two conservative law professors argue that President Obama should invoke the constitutional option to raise the debt ceiling on his own. Neither one will get a job in his administration.
- Deportations are still way up under President Obama.