Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) figures out that Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) is a fool.
- The right-wing law firm that lost its challenge to the Affordable Care Act in the Sixth Circuit officially petitioned the Supreme Court yesterday asking the justices to hear the case. In the Sixth Circuit, former Scalia clerk and George W. Bush appointee Judge Jeffery Sutton case the key vote tossing out the firm’s challenge.
- The federal government has reduced DOMA enforcement around the margins, but the anti-gay law still prevents same sex couples from enjoying the equal marriage rights they are guaranteed by the Constitution.
- A federal judge in Florida stuck down a state law that allowed people to be convicted of possessing an illegal substance even if they had no idea that the substance is illegal.
- Wisconsin Judge Tim Duket thinks it’s a good idea to carry a firearm underneath his judicial robes.
- And, finally, George Lucas loses a British Supreme Court battle over whether the designer of the original Imperial Storm Trooper costumes can sell replicas of the white armor worn in the films. That’s what he gets for foisting Jar Jar Binks upon the world.