Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- One of the unfortunate consequences of Gov. Jerry Brown’s (D-CA) otherwise brilliant decision to nominate Goodwin Liu to the state supreme court is that there will no longer be any Latino justices in California
- President Obama will nominate Charleston attorney Stephanie Thacker to a seat on the Fourth Circuit.
- The 20 mostly-white firefighters who won a high profile Supreme Court victory in 2009 settled their case against the city of New Haven for $2 million.
- The Ninth Circuit upheld an Oakland law requiring abortion clinic protesters to remain at least eight feet away from the clinic.
- “South Carolina will defend to the death your right to display the Confederate Flag, the symbol of a regime committed to slavery and racial oppression, but plastic testicles is a bridge too far.”
- The Electoral College is really a terrible idea.