Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Republicans have finally dropped their irrational demand to rewrite the Constitution so that only conservative outcomes are possible in the United States or else they will blow up the American economy.
- In a similar vein, Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) — who believes that federal child labor laws, Social Security and Medicare are all unconstitutional — has even agreed not to delay a vote on the debt ceiling agreement by using his power to place a hold on the bill, although he will still force the bill to pass with a supermajority.
- The Fourth Circuit struck down a county government’s unconstitutional practice of opening its meetings with a sectarian prayer.
- Gun groups have filed several lawsuits seeking a constitutional right to carry a gun out in public.
- Michigan’s attorney general asks the full Sixth Circuit to reverse a panel’s decision striking down the state’s ban on affirmative action.