Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Four scientific groups wrote UVA imploring them not to cave to Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli’s anti-climate science witchhunt by turning over any of the documents Cuccinelli seeks.
- Meanwhile, Cuccinelli takes the position that the Tenth Amendment’s states rights protections also apply to marriage equality laws. We’re still waiting for Cuccinelli to notice that the Fourteenth Amendment’s Equal Protection guarantee applies as well.
- Virginia’s only openly gay state delegate wants to become its only openly gay state senator.
- Disgraced former federal judge Samuel Kent, who was best known for his belligerent opinions mocking attorneys before he became known for sexually assaulting two women who worked in his courthouse, was released from prison.
- The Supreme Court does not have a jury box.
- And, finally, the AP brings us the most understated headline of the modern era with: “FACT CHECK: Republican debate strains some facts“