Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- Congratulations to Virginia Delegate Adam Ebbin who, by winning his state senate primary last night, effectively became the first openly gay person elected to the Virginia Senate.
- Congratulations as well to Hattiesburg Mayor Johnny DuPree, who will be the first African-American major party candidate for governor of Mississippi.
- Texas voters will decide whether to give the state’s governor enhanced powers to pardon people convicted of a crime. Because that’s a power that’s ever going to be used.
- Texas Gov. Rick Perry is the most conservative major presidential candidate since William McKinley on the Constitution.
- Neal Katyal, who recently stepped down as Acting Solicitor General, gets Chief Justice Roberts’ old job at the gigantic law firm Hogan Lovells.