Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- The White House is about to be inundated with swarms of pot-smoking hippies calling for marijuana to be legalized or decriminalized. The hippies are right.
- None of the prosecutors who claimed outrage at Justice Goodwin Liu’s nomination to the federal bench could work up one bit of annoyance at his successful nomination to the California Supreme Court.
- Numerous Virginia localities are “bailing out” of the requirement to preclear their new voting rules under the Voting Rights Act.
- The sole Ninth Circuit judge to hint at his view in yesterday’s Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell hearing hinted that he doesn’t think it makes sense to decide the case shortly before the unconstitutional policy ceases to exist.
- New Jersey Supreme Court Justice Anne Patterson was sworn in yesterday. Justice Patterson’s elevation is likely to be a big win for wealthy and powerful corporate interests.