Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- The Department of Justice will reveal today whether it intends to ask the entire Eleventh Circuit to review a panel’s erroneous decision striking down the Affordable Care Act. Such a petition is unlikely to succeed, because of the Eleventh Circuit’s ultraconservative majority, but it could potentially knock out the sole court of appeals decision striking down the ACA and render a trip the Supreme Court unnecessary.
- The Supreme Court has effectively killed the class action lawsuit in all but a handful of instances.
- A New Jersey court held that sex offenders who were convicted before the state required them to wear GPS ankle bracelets cannot constitutionally be required to wear the bracelet.
- Justice Ian Binnie, considered by many to be the intellectual leader of the Canadian Supreme Court, retired from the bench after 14 years of service.
- A study in the journal Science confirms that same-sex schools are breeding grounds for sexism.