"Justiceline: October 25, 2011"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- John Yoo offers an uncharacteristically accurate assessment of Justice Thomas’ tortured understanding of the Constitution: Thomas is the “intellectual godfather” of the Tea Party.
- The United States Attorney in Los Angeles attempts to defend his office’s unfortunate decision to crack down on medical marijuana dispensaries in California, noting that those dispensaries also frequently sell marijuana to people whose needs are not medical.
- Gun groups will stage a rally next week at a Virginia university demanding the right to bring hidden guns on campus.
- The Second Circuit reverses the conviction of an American-educated scientist accused of violating the trade embargo with Iran.
- More than half of all federal judges traveled for free in 2010 on an event sponsor’s dime. Most of these trips were entirely benign engagements to lecture at a law school or conference, but they also include junkets sponsored by a notorious corporate junkets for judges shop.