"Justiceline: October 27, 2011"
Welcome to Justiceline, ThinkProgress Justice’s morning round-up of the latest legal news and developments. Remember to follow us on Twitter at @TPJustice.
- The Ninth Circuit will hear oral argument in December to decide whether video of the California Prop 8 trial can be released.
- A former senior aide to John Ashcroft who wrote a book about Justice Scalia was sentenced to 20 months in prison for his involvement in the Abramoff corruption scandal.
- The Patriot Act turns 10 years old.
- An Arizona judge rejects a ballot measure pushed by Republicans in the state legislature that would abolish public financing of campaigns in that state, shifting power to wealthy donors and corporations in the process.
- Jose Padilla, a United States citizen who spent four years detained as an “enemy combatant” under President George W. Bush, tries to get an appeals court to reinstate his lawsuit against former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and several other Bush Administration officials.